Eddie Bauer First Ascent

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by ra2bach, Jan 26, 2016.

1. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    How is Eddie Bauer First Ascent clothing? I am lead to believe it is premium gear or just a marketing ploy?...

2. Canajun

Canajun Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I got a pair of their pants before Christmas. On sale for CDN$50 from regular CDN$80. VERY light, stretchy and extremely comfortable. They were initially "water-resistant", but that feature was mainly gone after the first wash. They seem to be wind-proof, but are so thin that in a cold wind they feel a little like you have bare legs, almost. I pair of poly-pro long johns under them for the bush worked well. I got another pair in the sales after the holidays. I just like wearing them around the house. One thing I will say is that they come clean in the wash nicely. The pair I wore during my two nights in the bush during my Christmas leave were filthy and I thought they would never be properly clean again. But I rubbed a little "Shout" into them before chucking them in the wash and they came out gleaming. I would get another pair if they were on sale. I'd never pay full price for them, though. I'm still on a quest for decent bush pants that don't break the bank. I really liked the old Brit Army windproof trousers, but after 34 years in uniform I have an aversion to wearing camouflage on my days off! :)

Elliott3EW likes this.
  3. Anthonysaudiojournal

Anthonysaudiojournal Scout

Blog Posts:
    I heard a podcast a while back where a Eddie Bauer rep told the story of how their first ascent line came to be. I can confirm alot of what he said was true. Back in the days after WWII servicemen came back wanting good high quality gear like they used in the war but nome were available. Eddie Bauer made the first down jacket and the B9 bomber jacket so all the flyers wanted something similar but lighter for use while hiking and hunting. After years of making great stuff the 1980's rolled around and some marketing dummy decided to focus on making their line of products more mainstream for women and city slickers, abandoning their tried and true line of outdoor wear.

After 30 years of declining sales one of the grandsons or greatgrandsons...I forget which now, decided to retool the line and go back to their historical roots. They decided to ditch the poor quality crap and design real gear for real adventurers. They enlisted famous mountain climbers like Whittaker and Vestieurs to try their outdoor wear and suggest improvements. They redesigned the gear based on their suggestions and sent them back out into the mountains for re-testing. When the pros finally got exactly what they wanted, or needed, they signed off on the gear and Eddie Bauer slapped their name and First Ascent logo on it.

So in a nutshell, their first ascent line is indeed great top notch gear for the professional who need the best gear that has to be totally functional. Its really expensive and tough to fins as not all Eddie Bauer stores carry their first ascent line. I have a couple items and they are great. If I was going to Everest or Denali and needed gear for it I wouldn't hesitate to outfit my expedition with First Ascent gear.

I am including a link to the story.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/first_ascent/guide_built/guide_built.jsp

4. Canajun

Canajun Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Maybe not all First Ascent gear is created equal. Certainly the stuff I own/handled in the Eddie Bauer store where I live was not expedition grade and I would not trust it on Ben Nevis, let alone Everest. For alpine climbing and long-haul mountain expeditions I always used Berghaus, but that brand is not what it was and has become more form than function. Arc'teryx tactical line has some excellent gear, but it is PRICEY!

5. Throc

Throc Guide

Blog Posts:
    I can only attest to a couple of their pants in the line. I own three pairs of the guide pro pants and two pairs of the lined guide pants. Love all of them. They're a little more form fitting than most pants and the only problem I've had is that on one of the guide pro pants, the left cargo pocket stitching has started to come loose. The lined pants have been a pleasant surprise for me after moving from AL to WY. It's a lot colder here and they allow me to wear around without having to wear a base layer. I still own other technical lines for when out in the woods but as far as general purpose pants, these have become my go too.

6. Megalos

Megalos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm lucky to have an EB warehouse in town. There I can actually find clothes in my size to try on before buying. They also sell everything at least 50% off, which is nice. I have purchased several First Ascent fleece pullovers. They are warm and comfortable but I don't think there is anything special about them. They are about the same as any other fleece pullovers I've seen.

I have a pair of snow pants from them as well....they are nice, but again, nothing special.

The best I can say about them....2xl Tall sizes and 50% or more off is what sold me on them.

7. Ragman

Ragman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have about 5 or 6 pieces, I think there really good.
    I put them on par with Arcteryx and Mountain Hardwear.

8. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  9. Pablo

Pablo Guide

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely go with the hood. A hood is invaluable in deep cold and/or wind. It makes a huge difference in the warmth of a coat.

10. forgeblast

forgeblast Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a lot of FA items, love them. The life time return for any reason warranty is also great. I wear a down coat under a water proof outershell and I am toasty warm, their base layers are great too.

11. Ragman

Ragman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    $100.00 for a down Bauer jacket is a great deal. Down is one of the best things Eddie Bauer does.

12. billdawg

billdawg Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like EB stuff and have used some of their FA gear as well. The best thing about EB is that they totally have customer care. Also, if you are a Vet, they put that 10% discount on top of any other that may be out there. I don't know of any other place that stacks them like that. I had a FA shirt with snaps. Every time I would move my arms a couple of the snaps would pop open. I loved the shirt, fit great, colors I wanted, I'll bet I had it for 6 months and wore it often. Finally though, it was a hassle. I walked in to the store wearing it, kind of flexed, they popped open, and asked what could I do to remedy it. And she took the shirt and said go pick out another one you want and that's it.
    I have a pair of the pants, and that's what I wear for winter hikes. The yare the perfect weight with long johns, that you are perfectly warm and not too hot or cold. Some thing a re a little expensive, but wait for a sale, and make sure you check their clearance rack. I will get $80 shirts for as little as $20 sometimes.

13. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I decided that since this is going to be an insulation, not top layer, that I would go without hood. I just don't understand their length scheme.

they list the regular as 26" and tall as 28".

however, their Microtherm jackets say regular is 27.5 and tall is 29.5.

that means the Down Light tall is about as long as the Microtherm regular, unless it's a misprint...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  14. Elliott3EW

Elliott3EW Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I have a lot of the guild pants. THey are great for active wear and hold up pretty well just made my oldest pair a range pair for four days they held up fine. Great for hiking.

15. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts: