Esee PR4 Kephart Wooden Replacement Scales

Discussion in 'T's Custom Outdoor Gear' started by T. Pollock, Oct 7, 2017.

1. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I wish I knew more about photography or how to take better photos. I used my good camera for these but they still didn't turn out that great. It's cloudy out today so I don't know if that's part of it or not. Anyhow... enough whining LOL here's the best photos I know how to take of the finished knife & sheath.

IMG_4850.JPG IMG_4851.JPG IMG_4852.JPG IMG_4853.JPG IMG_4855.JPG IMG_4857.JPG IMG_4858.JPG IMG_4859.JPG

I was a little concerned if the sheath had enough material there to re-form to the new scales without showing stretch marks but it did great and fits really nice.
    IMG_4860.JPG

Thanks for following along guys!!!
    I hope the lessons I learned on this project will be a help to someone else.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. Ascham

Ascham Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Great job, too bad ESEE doesn't offer it with wood scales.

T. Pollock likes this.
  3. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks bud! True Dat!!! :dblthumb: I know they couldn't sell it at the same price point... but this knife is super nice and deserves some nice wood scales from Esee. :)

4. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    All the hard work is over, now I get to reward myself with some play time with this baby! :4:

Hoof likes this.
  5. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Then send me a daylight pic and I’ll post it. We’re all adult enough to figure out when someone is fishing for business or just showing off their work.

6. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I have too much respect for another man's knife to use it like I do mine but I did take it to the woods for a short test drive. :4: :14: Did a little chopping, made a few shavings and a few notches. Me Likey!!! :dblthumb:

IMG_7163.JPG IMG_7164.JPG IMG_7169.JPG IMG_7170.JPG IMG_7171.JPG IMG_7172.JPG IMG_7174.JPG IMG_7175.JPG IMG_7177.JPG IMG_7179.JPG

7. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I told you to ‘USE’ that thing. You barely took it out of the garage. :)

Well here’s how I test mine.

194BE684-E65A-4C31-A52F-0BCC4E990972.jpeg

Quinlan, J. Pierce, Hoof and 2 others like this.
  8. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:

LOL Yeah that's how I use mine too. :dblthumb:

Quinlan, Wasp and Zoomie like this.
  9. XMP

XMP Mountain Man

Blog Posts:
    That turned out really nice. It's a major upgrade in appearance (and I'll bet in utility too).

T. Pollock likes this.
  10. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Many thanks for the kind words!

XMP likes this.
  11. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I posted photos of my PR4 scales in my WIP thread but thought it might be better to show it here with a little info in case it might benefit some considering making themselves a set for their Esee PR4.

Just out of curiosity, for mine I wanted to see if I could use the factory hardware and still make it work. As mentioned before the barrel holes in the factory scales are 1/4" so that's what I drilled these. Sorry I didn't think to take any WIP photos this time. The screw head recess (tapered for the factory hardware) need to be 11/32" and a regular drill bit works just fine. The difficult part is setting the drill bit at just the right depth. The screws are only 1/4" long so it doesn't leave a whole lot of room for error ie if you drill too deep the screws won't tighten down on the scales and if you don't drill deep enough either the screw won't catch or won't have enough threads holding the scales on and are likely to strip. I used one of the factory scales on my drill press table to set the depth stop as close as possible to the original scales. I don't like this method as well as I do making the custom barrels because with the factory hardware the scales can move slightly on the tang. It's not severe but it's enough to be uncomfortable to me if the tang or scale is proud of the other and it's difficult to line up perfectly while tightening down the screws.

Anyhow here's how they turned out. If anyone has any questions that I can answer to help you with yours just give me a shout.

IMG_7212.JPG IMG_7213.JPG IMG_7214.JPG IMG_7215.JPG

12. XMP

XMP Mountain Man

Blog Posts:
    What do you think of the idea of only using two bolts at the top and the bottom? I've never really liked a hole in the middle of my palm.

Wasp and T. Pollock like this.
  13. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I'm honestly not sure bud. These are the only two sets of removable scales I've done. It wouldn't hurt a thing to give it a try though.

LostViking and XMP like this.
  14. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That looks like a win/win for you both. Very nice work!

I really like the look of the PR-4, But the factory scales cool my jets.

T. Pollock and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  15. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks brother! Some folks don't mind the factory scales but I didn't like them at all.

16. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Life has been a little crazy lately and I haven't gotten much done in the shop but I need to get back to doing some more stabilizing... as well as a bunch of other stuff. :dblthumb: