Ethics and lost and found.

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Mikewood, Aug 7, 2019.

?

What do you do with the ice chest?

1. Shove it off the road with the bumper of your truck it’s blocking traffic

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. Put it in the bed of your truck and take it home. finders keepers

23 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. Move it to the side of the road the owner might be looking for it

22 vote(s)
    29.7%
  4. Take it to the construction site and report it lost to the site foreman.

15 vote(s)
    20.3%
  5. Drive around like everyone else.

13 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Let’s say you are driving down the road. At the exit to a busy intersection just past a construction site you see a large object in the road. Cars and trucks are driving around and and swerving to avoid it. You pull up to it and see it’s a moderately priced ice chest. What do you do? Drive past or stop? For information purposes it is undamaged and has a few bottles of water, Gatorade and some ice.

2. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:
    Stop and maybe die...I’ll pass

MAD Punty, ExAF1N1, Bobsdock and 4 others like this.
  3. colrbh

colrbh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Try to snag it and take it to the worksite. 15 to 20 minutes out of my day to get a good feeling about doing a good deed.

SMLE Guy, MAD Punty, PMSteve and 5 others like this.
  4. Chili

Chili Guide

Blog Posts:
    In most cases I would likely just drive around it. At most, I would stop and push it to the side of the road. I have no interest in taking it, nor do I feel an obligation to do anything beyond moving it as a road hazard, for public safety reasons (some idiot is bound to not see it until last minute, swerve, and wreck into someone else...). Certainly not tracking down an owner for a cooler..

Now, as for people broken down, blocking traffic, I will (and have numerous times) hop out and at least help get the car out of the road.

MAD Punty, S.Decker, Bobsdock and 2 others like this.
  5. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would try and do something similar.

MAD Punty, Quinlan, Bobsdock and 4 others like this.
  6. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    Have to give my 18 yr old niece credit on ethics
    Last week she found a bag from sephora with $160 of new cosmetics in it. Receipt and all. Niece loves tge products and knew she would be pissed if she lost it herself
    She contacted the store found the persons name, scouted online and contacted the owner.
    Returned it back to the store and store is returning it to the owner
    Person was so grateful for what she did she emailed her a $30 gift card to the store
    As for the cooler, depending on how safe it is to do so would either move it to side of road or bring it to construction site
    I have stopped to move objects from road i have also gone around objects like everyone else

7. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Probably move it to the side of the road and if the construction site was nearby I would ask them if they were missing a cooler, then ask what it looked like.
    If most people lose something, they will back track if its valuable enough to recover. Ever seen hubcaps leaning against a pole? Thats so you can find it if its yours. Now there are certain valuable things I'd turn in to authorities after I tried to locate the owner. I have rarely kept things before but I was sure they were abandoned.

I had a 30' fiberglass ladder in the truck and my bungee strap broke and the ladder fell out as I was turning from one parking lot into another. This ladder was about $400 at the time. I pulled right over in the parking lot and got out of the truck and started walking the 50 yards back to my ladder.

Out of nowhere a truck pulls up and the guy jumps out like lighting and starts loading it up. I said, "hey man, thats my ladder!" He about swallowed his bubblegum but still had the nerve to ask me to "prove it". I said how many people do you think are going to challenge you for a ladder, and that truck with a load of shingles over there ought to do fine as "proof". I didn't even wait for his next word, I just yanked it out of his truck and carried it back to mine.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    colter, A17, SMLE Guy and 12 others like this.
  8. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    If it was by a construction site I would bring it to the site. If it was just in a random spot in the road, I'd consider it a score.

A17, SMLE Guy, Plainsman and 12 others like this.
  9. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have found all sorts of stuff. The cooler I would grab and reasonably try to find the owner. The puppy I found ended up going to my brother, the young pregnant lady was happy to get her wallet back. Just a couple.

A17, MAD Punty, PMSteve and 5 others like this.
  10. FoxLite Gear

FoxLite Gear Scout Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maybe I watch too much crime tv but I’d be scared as heck to open it up, could contain body parts or something gross...

11. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have talked to people who found half a dozen Hobie kayaks on the road after a single tie strap holding them broke. They were a little skinned up but otherwise good. A call to hobie with the serial numbers and they were tracked to the store they were sent to. The store offered a reward but the finder refused.

I put the cooler on the side of the road thinking the foreman or whoever might be dishonest. If it’s where I left it tomorrow evening I might swing by and take it over to the job site. I got lots of coolers and don’t need more. Told the wife the story and she says you better not bring another cooler home. Lol.

dial1911, A17, matjbrown and 9 others like this.
  12. SonsOfLiberty

SonsOfLiberty Student of Life Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I would just pull it out of the road so no one got in an accident

13. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    personally, i'm the guy that will often go out of my way to get stuff out of the roadway. i blame my country upbringing....

after that, it depends. i'd just leave it on the roadside, at least at first. if it's still there a day or two later, if i needed a cooler, it might come home with me. a buddy and i discussed such ethics in college, and he referred to what he called "hobo ganking." basically, if an item is left in a public place for an amount of time that is directly correlated to it's value, it then becomes free game. cheap blank notebook? a few hours. mp3 player with no info? a month or so. (yes, i will admit that i have utilized "hobo ganking" several times-but having a code makes one feel more "right" with it)

now, i will admit that extremely high value items, either monetary or sentimental, i will try as much as is in my power, to find the owner. but off the shelf, nothing special stuff......

A17, Robert Y, MAD Punty and 2 others like this.
  14. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd drive up to the site and see if they lost it.
    If I had it and someone confronted me about ownershi or id someone knew whos it was, it theirs. Dont care if they're lyin. Not my job to investigate.

If no takers I'll keep it.

I actually found a hidden safe full of cash & stocks. AT&T, IBM, GE. From the 50s! doing a garage clean out on a house my mom just bought.

Found the owner's granddaughter (owner was dead, her daughter was in a convalescent home with dementia) and gave it too her.

The cash was mint crisp bills in everything from 1s to 100s and coins were almost mint 50s coins. 1st envelop I picked up had 10k in bundled bank wrap.
    The safe was about 15in x15in and jam packed with envelopes.

A17, Robert Y, colrbh and 6 others like this.
  15. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    How on Earth did you know I own a truck :eek:

Also better chance I'd be driving my car, gas mileage and cost per mile to operate and all.

MAD Punty likes this.
  16. Scarywoody

Scarywoody Scout

Blog Posts:
    In that scenario, I would pick it up and keep it. Obviously fell from someone's car en-route. If they are so careless as to not tie it down sufficiently then they shouldn't get another try. Probably kill someone next time. You are saving lives by keeping it. Then every time you use it you can sit back and know you are a hero.

17. Mannlicher

Mannlicher Guide

Blog Posts:
    First off, if it’s in the middle lane of I-75 in rush hour, I would avoid it. Little or no traffic in a city street, different story. If the cooler is identifiable, I’d snag it and return. Otherwise, it’s got a new forever home.

18. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I drive past like everyone else.

Not my business, and I'm certainly not risking my life to get something out of the road. This is Massachusetts. Half of the drivers are hyper aggressive, and the other half are looking at their phones more than they are the road. Both will run you down and not even look in the rear view mirror as they drive off.

C'mon man...it's not even full of beer. What are you thinking?

Paulyseggs and Chili like this.
  19. DixiePreparedness

DixiePreparedness Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I stop, get out and remove the TRAFFIC HAZARD before someone in a small/er vehicle hits it and maybe causes them to be in a deadly crash.

Or some new breed wheelholder sees it too late and swerves, and takes out several cars before turning his Swift truck upside down in the ditch.
    (Would not take ling and the delay to traffic would be short..... if I stop my trucks in the roadway... EVERYONE STOPS)

Then I would take it with me to dispose of properly.

NEVER EVER drink ANYTHING you find in a wayward cooler.
    Too many people are actively “doctoring” cold beverages right now.
    And don’t “give it to the workers” for the same reason. You have no idea about the status of it.

Road debris is no longer someone else’ property.
    It is TRASH. (or another man’s treasure)
    And the road crew wouldn’t be the source of the cooler anyway, cause it wasn’t squashed.

Besides, the life expectancy of the cooler looks mighty dim on the highway.
    If I, or another truck, hit it.... no more “moderately priced cooler”.
    They don’t make one that can survive 18 to 20 wheels and 40 tons at highway speed. No matter what they claim.

20. DixiePreparedness

Blog Posts:
    That would be me.
    We are “cooler poor” too.

During my 10 year stint with Fire/EMS, every time there was a giveaway and I was in on it.... I won a/the cooler.
    It got to be a joke that if I was in the drawing, and a cooler was the prize, I should just go ahead and put my stuff in it from the getgo.

MAD Punty and AdamD1776 like this.
  21. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If it was safe, I'd pull over nd drag it to the side of the road. If it had a name on it, I might try to return it to the owner. No name... it's mine. I've dragged lots of junk off the road and left it. If fate gives me something of value (to me), I take it!

MAD Punty, LazyPK and AdamD1776 like this.
  22. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'd pickup up and depending on the proximity to the job site, I'd stop by there to see if someone lost it. A lot of people are on social media nowadays, so if there was a local group for that town, I'd post that I found a cooler and depending on the size of the town, possibly the part of town. If the owner can identify it, I'd return it.

MAD Punty likes this.
  23. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I ran a couple of younger guys off my farm last month. Riding an ATV drunk, and had "found" a cooler full of ice cold beer in the woods. It was theirs, but I had the sheriff on the way and they were trying to dodge an underage drinking charge. It wasn't anything I would drink (Icehouse, I think), so I poured out the 14 cans and set the cooler by the road. They drove back to pick it up an hour later.

MAD Punty likes this.
  24. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

for the record-found beer might not be fit for human consumption, but it's what my (dry) grandparents use for slug traps-and it seems to work well!

25. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The cooler had ice. The beer was ice cold. And I dumped every can while those guys watched.

MAD Punty and CowboyJesus like this.
  26. Tdr

Tdr Scout

Blog Posts:
    It would depend on how much time I had and I wouldn't want to get run over or cause an accident, but maybe by grabbing it you helped some poor person on a motorcycle avoid crashing.
    It's just a cooler, not a family eirloom, most construction sites are busy and chaotic , not many guys I worked with bothered to load big coolers every morning either, maybe a superintendent for a treat.
    Each situation is different but in this case I wouldn't feel guilty if I removed a road hazard and gave it a new home, I think you can actually get sited for not securing cargo properly.

MAD Punty and NJStricker like this.
  27. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Legally, in most states, abandoned property goes to whomever claims it. A lost cooler would be considered 'abandoned' whether it had a name on it or not. If the person who picks it up decides to try and contact the owner, that's up to them.

Steve

MAD Punty and AdamD1776 like this.
  28. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would consider it a road hazard, pick it up and put in my truck, and not lose sleep over finding a $20 cooler. If the ethics of this situation bothers you, you have far too little to worry about.:)

MAD Punty likes this.
  29. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    Free cooler. Take it. That’s what I would expect to happen if I had lost it.

MAD Punty and LazyPK like this.
  30. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    You haven't priced quality coolers lately have you? Some of them are the price of a new car payment.

central joe and MAD Punty like this.
  31. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    OP said it was a "modestly priced ice chest".
    If we're dealing with a Yeti, that makes it a tougher call.

MAD Punty and LazyPK like this.
  32. MAD Punty

Blog Posts:
    If it's a Yeti, I might consider running it over and destroying it.

33. NORKALNIMROD

NORKALNIMROD Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There are other options depending on where the scenario takes place. Many rural areas have a local paper or radio station where you can report items lost or found.

Years ago the tailgate of my truck was left down. Unfortunately for me I had a large dry box in the bed that had several hundred dollars worth of gear in it. At some point the box fell out. I got on our local Am/Fm station and reported it as lost and gave a contact number. A few days later I received a call. After I gave a detailed description of the box and it’s contents the person was convinced it was mine. She had told a friend about her find and her friend had heard me on the radio. I offered her some cash but she refused and stated she would hope if she lost something the person finding it would do the same for her.

NORKAL

34. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    You had me go back and reread the OP. He said "moderately", which to me means more than modesty.

35. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    I'm a buy torn on stuff like that. I wouldn't buy new as that's putting money in the companies pocket. That doesn't change the fact that they make a quality product. If I found one or even bought one used, that doesn't directly profit the company. A decal (I hear that @Broke makes some cool ones) could be placed over the factory logo to disguise the brand. It's hard to boycott all anti 2nd amendment companies. How many people buy a Hallmark card for a loved one for holidays or other special occasions?

Robert Y and Broke like this.
  36. MAD Punty

Blog Posts:
    You make valid points.

They are points I have considered, but I have also passed over a lot of used REI stuff on geartrade and such. I think I just don't want the logo in my gear...more of a personal thing than a boycott thing.

37. Broke

Broke I found my hat! LB #1 of 42 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I actually had an idea to make a red N in the same font, people would put it in front of the yeti name, making it a Nyeti cooler, sort of Russian for Nyet or NO.
    Funny in my head...

38. Usingmyrights

Blog Posts:
    Fair enough. It's getting harder and harder to do though. It seems more and more companies are leaning left to the feel good liberal politics. Unfortunately, it seems easier to stop buying something than it is so promote a company that one hasn't previously supported before.

39. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    On second thought, I think I'd put live skunk in the cooler, and put it back on the edge of the road.

40. slowtaknow

slowtaknow Scout

Blog Posts:
    The ethics sound nice, no name on it, if you leave it at jobsite someone there just got a new cooler. If you know who's it is you're wrong for keeping it, if not, you're good. That's where i draw the line. I can sleep at night with that logic.

Robert Y and Usingmyrights like this.
  41. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'd run over it.

MAD Punty likes this.
  42. GKiT

GKiT Guide

Blog Posts:
    rural America but not as far out as I would like
    An adequate punishment for not securing your load properly is having someone else end up with it.

43. Tdr

Tdr Scout

Blog Posts:
    There was a story in the local paper here a couple of years ago, the cops were chasing a guy that tossed a sack of cocaine out the window , they caught him then went back to the area where they seen him toss it.
    A lady picked it up from her front yard and kept it, when the police knocked on her door she said she thought it was laundry detergent. Yep, I can only imagine the b.s those guys hear.

A17 and Usingmyrights like this.
  44. Scarywoody

Scarywoody Scout

Blog Posts:
    Now if it was a Yeti cooler, pedal to the metal and run that anti second amendment, over priced cooler over.

45. DixiePreparedness

Blog Posts:
    Full sealed beer cans make great targets for shooting.

CowboyJesus likes this.
  46. DixiePreparedness

Blog Posts:
    Let me give a secondary situation answer on this subject.

I have found a LOT of valuable stuff over the years.
    Mainly cause I travel the highways of America ... and I coinshoot beaches and campgrounds and tot-lots as a metal detector-ist (?).

So here is my clear conscience “moral” take on it.....

I am at a big Bushcraft Gathering for a weekend with several dozen people.
    As everyone are packing up to leave I find a real nice custom knife someone dropped. (A high $$$ one or even a mora)
    Nobody is walking around looking for anything and nobody says they lost one when I ask around.

I would take time to get on the email list or website and spread the word and make sure the person got their knife back.
    And that goes for any gear I might find like this.

I would also do my best to return a piece of shooting gear I find at a range after a match.
    Or....
    A wallet at a truck stop.
    Something found in a motel room from prior guest.
    Something lost at a motorcycle event.
    Tools at the race track or air field.
    Valuables at the scene of a wreck or other disaster.
    Anything with distinguishing marks or names that show ownership.

But, ANYTHING found laying in the roadway... without a vehicle backing up for it... is FAIR GAME for “finders keepers”.

I mark most of my stuff.
    My coolers have “the hell it’s yours, I belong to Don Larson” written on the underside of lid, with address and phone number.
    Tools are “marked” in a specific way on each piece.
    Almost everything I own is customized in some manner to make easy to identify.

But if I lose something on the road, I hope someone does find it and get use out of it rather than it being destroyed and a waste.
    ——————————————————
    Talking about “expensive brand name stuff” - and “boycotts”.....

I also “boycott” products and businesses over my beliefs. I think this is fair and earned by them through bad behavior or business practices.

And I don’t own ANY overpriced coolers at all.
    Selling point propaganda never numbed my brain enough to fall for the BS. (Plenty of youtube vids prove they don't work any better than cheap china versions)
    And too many “American” companies have been busted on THAT being a lie as well.
    (HARLEY DAVIDSON being the biggest offender)

Our only Two name brand items are “gifted” yeti stainless tumblers from my daughter and SIL that we use in the house, and they don’t keep tea or water any colder for any longer than the ones from chinamart.
    (same size and shape, likely made in same factory)
    ....AND the paint came off of them at the same time and rate to boot.

One product I outright had a fit of laughter over was the stainless screw on top beer can cooler from Yeti for $35.
    Was told by the shop OWNER that “it keeps your can cold for hours”.
    I told him, between laughter, that I no longer drink beer but I do remember that if you have an open beer in a coozie “for hours”.... then you aren’t “drinking beer” properly.

From fishing rods to auto parts to motorcycles, I have busted bubbles on lots of peoples aquired “product loyalty” over the years.
    Sorry if I ever pop any of yours.
    But Advertising Hype and Propaganda are for the weak minded and easily fooled, and companies WILL lie and cheat and use “brand loyalty” to bilk you out of your hard earned money any way they can.

47. nomad orphan

nomad orphan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Trade your integrity for an igloo cooler here!
    Here here!
    Get your fresh hot peanuts here!

Lice is a hame

48. Chris4x4Gill2

Chris4x4Gill2 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would grab it and swing by the construction site. If you move it to the side of the road around here it would be taken by someone else before you pulled off good.

At a large event, I would do the same as Dixie above - let the organizer know so they can use the contact list to help find the owner.

I find stuff floating In the lake all the time - ski's, life jackets, a wakeboard once. If there is no one in the vicinity looking for it, or around to ask at near by docks I take them home and post them on a local lost/found site. Sometimes we find the owner, sometimes we don't.

Usingmyrights and Broke like this.
  49. A17

A17 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I experienced a slightly similar scenario a few months back. On the way to a martial arts class with my brother, we found a drop hitch in the middle of the road. It was a small public road, nighttime, and no vehicle was in front of us for as long as we could see. I got out and picked it up, threw it in the truck, and didn't have a second thought about it because if I'd seen it fall off a truck, if there was a guy looking for it along that road, or any other possible owners around, I'd have tried to return it. But there wasn't anyone, it was a big danger to a tire, and I happened to have a use for one. If it was a chainsaw, that would have been different because I could have traced it. If there wasn't the construction site, I'd say take it. Since it was there, check and if it isn't theirs, enjoy it as your own.

50. Soilman

Soilman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Anything of value that I find, if there is a way to get it back to it's rightful owner, I'll do it, or at least try. But something on the side of the road, with no clue to it's ownership, I go with Dixie Preparednes.