1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Eureka Timberline 4 Outfitter

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by LostViking, Jun 22, 2017.

1. LostViking

LostViking Guide

Blog Posts:
    After wanting one for over twenty years. I finally broke down and ordered one today.

Campmor has a sale on them that says when they're gone, they're gone. I tried to order one last year, but they were out of stock.

Color me excited.

I know there are more modern tents out there. And I'm usually a tarp guy. But sometimes it's nice to be sheltered.

2. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't think you will be disappointed. It's a classic tent for a reason
    Did you order the vestibule too or will you wait awhile and see how it goes?
    Adding in a tarp for extra shelter works too, does the tent still have the big "D" ring on the eave to tie a tarp to?

3. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Love mine! The guys at the last TN winter meet called it the Hilton. :dblthumb:

4. slysir

slysir Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've used my Timberline 2 for years...I'm certain it has several years left in it!! Love it!!

Your Timberline 4 is a luxury apartment in the woods...can't wait to hear your review!!

-John

Nightflyer, LostViking and gohammergo like this.
  5. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I've spent a lot of time in one of those, its nice having the headroom.
    A vestibule makes it pretty decent keeping the inside dry in wet weather.

Nightflyer, LostViking and gohammergo like this.
  6. LostViking

LostViking Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes,
    I'm pretty stoked. I will most likely order the vestibule at some point.

I have always had and used small mountaieering type tents. I just wanted something for relaxing, and car camping. On our property, State camp sites, that sort of thing.

If I'm getting serious, I usually just take a tarp or Basha. But I'm looking for something alittle more roomy. The weight doesn't concern me much. Because I don't plan on carrying it far, if at all.

But this will be nice for me and the bride. Some space, some ventilation, some protection.

John pretty much nailed it. "Luxury apartment in the woods"

I can be stupid sometimes. I don't know why I never pulled the trigger on one of these.

I still remember back in the late '70s. On a canoe camping trip. A buddy arrived with a freshly minted Eureka Timberline 2. He popped it out of its sack and had it set up in just minutes. Five poles, for vertical and a ridge pole. It went together so slick it wasn't funny.

The best part was in the mornings. He could pull the stakes and pick the whole thing up and shake the dirt out the door. Same for drying it out. He would just suspend the entire tent from a piece of line about a foot off the ground. To let the air circulate.

In 1978 a free standing tent was pretty high tech. Technology has moved way past the Timberline Series. But I still like the simple, straight forward design.

Whenever I drive through a public camp site. I always get a bit of a warm feeling when I see one of these green A-Frames set up. They'rre just a classic.

7. bootsnthejeep

bootsnthejeep Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I love my Outfitter 4, but I admit I haven't used it in a few years.

I was really tempted to get the 6. Same proportions, but you could stand up in it! But I figured if I wanted something that spacious, I should just get a wall tent or a teepee and be done with it.

I hope you enjoy it.

I also bought the vestibule for mine. Used it a couple times, didn't really blow my skirt up. But YMMV.

LostViking and T. Pollock like this.
  8. carpenter

carpenter Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've got the Diamond Brand version of this tent. Great tent.

LostViking likes this.
  9. Kdad

Kdad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had a Timberlite 2 for almost 30 years, and it is still going strong. Also, have the Timberline 4 with the vestibule and it is a great tent. The vestibule is very handy.

LostViking, Nightflyer and T. Pollock like this.
  10. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You don't happen to have a photo of yours with the vestibule on it do you? I've thought about buying one numerous times but can't seem to find a photo of a 4 with the vestibule. From the online graphics it appears to be different than the ones for the TL2. I've just been using a tarp over the front of mine. but would buy the vestibule if it's front opening instead of side opening.

LostViking likes this.
  11. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    The MSR Twing [ Moss Tent Wing] makes a good tarp for a Timberline

LostViking and T. Pollock like this.
  12. LostViking

LostViking Guide

Blog Posts:
    Moondog,

I have an old Moss Heptawing. Still rock solid. I figure that, or my Cooke Custom Sewing Sil-nylon tarp would make a nice front porch veranda. Maybe even my BCUSA M.E.ST. All kinds of options.

On hot trips. I used to set my MSR Fusion up under the Heptawing. Still decent weather protection, but much better ventilation than the standard rain fly.

If I had known Moss was going the way of the Dodo. I would have bought more of their gear before they sold.

13. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg
    I still use a Timberline 2 which I bought in the late 1970's. It's been all over the Easten US from Maine to Tennessee. It's the only coyote brown one I've ever seen, but when I bought it they came in green and the brown. I bought the vestibule for mine the day I bought it. It' s tired, but still in excellent shape. Above is a photo of it after two days of rain while camping in Vermont.
    I did however just get a Timberline SQ4XT. I also ordered the footprint for it. I can't wait to set it up and use it. Just a timeless, functional design. I chose the SQ4XT because it has the built on vestibule in front, two doors, and I can still add on a vestibule for the rear. I think I'll enjoy the extra room. With the footprint, I can also just carry the poles and fly and set up a nice lightweight shelter for when the bugs are gone. Looking forward to using this tent, as a new tent is always enjoyable!
    LostViking, let us know how you like it! You're in a beautiful area for camping!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  14. gohammergo

gohammergo Bada Bing, Bada Boom ! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The Timberlines are so classic! I have a Timberline 2 Eddie Bauer model, new yet. I've set it up once but never slept in it. Also have an old Timberline 4 that I got at a thrift store. Was used as a scout tent and had the scars to prove it. :) The price was right and it was a rock solid workhorse. Still have it around somewhere, but I think it's beyond using now. :)

15. Kdad

Kdad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @T. Pollock
    No, I don't have a picture of my T4 with the vestibule attached. It is a side entry like the one in Nightflyer's pic, except in green.

16. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Scout

Blog Posts:
    SQ4XT with attached vestibule.

image.jpeg

17. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looking at the picture above it seems the HD "D" ring is no longer sewn onto the end of the ridge where the vestibule attaches, that is a shame if so because it made using a small tarp as an extension porch so easy

LostViking likes this.
  18. LostViking

LostViking Guide

Blog Posts:
    Moondog,

As soon as I pull mine out and set it up. I'll let you know.

19. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just googled the Heptawing and I can't see any difference from my Tent Wing apart from a logo change, at the same sale they had a much larger version but I could not afford it cash and I had no credit available at the time.
    Bill Moss, much copied but never bettered, the MSR stuff is lighter but I don't think it is better made. My only problem is that I have mislaid the big Easton .625 poles mine came with

I have seen pictures [ can't fnd them on google now] of old model 4-man Timberline tents with "Expedition" annexes, these had tunnel entraces on one side and you could join two tents together using them and from the same series I think there used to be "Expedition"models made with entry front and rear with dual annexes, I seem to remember these also has snow valances all around

20. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I picked up one of these several years ago, and I'm ashamed to say that it has not got out of the box yet. I'm inspired to get that thing out soon (retired now)

LostViking likes this.
  21. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Prairiewolf you do know they go off if not used? At least take it out of the box and store it loose until you get a chance.

Winterhorse likes this.
  22. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Freebie??
    Send it down under and I'll make use of it here

23. tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Mine is over 30 years old. Had to replace the fly this year as it was starting to leak. Could see through it. Anyway with the new fly I'm hoping it goes another 30 which is well beyond my expiration date.

Winterhorse likes this.
  24. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    You don't look that old in your avatar Joe

carpenter and Winterhorse like this.
  25. Skab

Skab Staff Staff Member Administrator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    My boys scout troop uses them, as did mine as a kid! Great tents. These are the SQ. The troop has 30 of them, this shoot is from scout a few weeks ago. Had two to a tent. This is just the first year Scouts. IMG_4305.JPG

26. LostViking

LostViking Guide

Blog Posts:
    I went back and forth between the SQ Outfitter, and the old style. I like the extended fly coverage of the newer SQs. Allowing for open windows during rainstorms keeps the air flowing. The rain always seems to come down sideways around here.

But the glowing reputation and time tested pattern eventually won out.

27. WisconsinEric

WisconsinEric Scout

Blog Posts:
    In my opinion the old version Timberline tents ventilate better in the rain than the newer SQ version Outfitter I had. The front window on the door of the old version opens top down, allowing the window to be left open at the top in the rain while protected by the eve.

The newer SQ Outfitter has a front window on the door that opened from the side unlike the rear window. I could not leave the top of the front window open in the rain. The rear window in my SQ Outfitter was perfect. The front window should be just like it.

Another issue I have with the newer SQ Timberlines is the newer style door zipper that lacks the flap over the bottom of the zipper. That flap keeps rain driven debris out of the zipper, and since those outfitters only have one door I believe it is very important to keep rain driven debris such as sand out of that zipper. I added a vestibule to my SQ Outfitter 4 since it did Not have that flap over the door zipper, but that vestibule also reduces ventilation. In hot humid summer weather I prefer no vestibule for maximum ventilation. I prefer both the door and window setup on the old versions vs the newer SQ versions.

I am a HUGE Eureka Timberline fan and I own nearly every version Eureka sold including some rare offshoots such as a first gen Alpine Meadows 2, a first gen lightweight Timberlite 2, a first gen mountaineering Expedition Sentinel 2, and a basic everyday Timberline 2. I traded away my SQ Outfitter 4.

I have been after an old discontinued Timberline Outfitter 2 for years now. Missed one on craigslist 3yrs ago, and looked at another locally 2 weeks ago. It had too much damage and I had to walk away from it.... Still looking for an old Outfitter 2.

28. LostViking

LostViking Guide

Blog Posts:
    WisconsinEric,

Too funny! I had an Alpine Meadows 2 many years ago. I always lusted after the Sentinel. But it was above my paygrade back then. Bomber of a tent if my memory serves me correctly. I had forgotten about that one until I read your post.

Now I'll have to go search and see if I can find some photos of one.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

gohammergo and WisconsinEric like this.
  29. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Pictures of the Mountaineering Sentinal please Eric

WisconsinEric likes this.
  30. WisconsinEric

WisconsinEric Scout

Blog Posts:
    I did not intend to derail this tread, but I wanted to share that those old style Outfitters mentioned in the OP are my favorites. I like them better than the Alpine Meadows.

I have only set up my Sentinel Expedition 2 twice in my backyard. The man I bought it from had only set it up one time in his basement 35yrs ago to make sure all the parts were there. He was a gunsmith for Sears here in Madison and he got a deal on the Sentinel Expedition at the end of the season 30+ years ago. It has been in its original box ever since, and it has not been seam sealed.

When I bought it I intended on sealing it and using it, but I like it far too much to seal it and use it. I guess I am a collector now. That tent is 35yrs old, and the materials are like new, and nicer than any of my other 8 tents. I believe that tent was designed to compete with Moss tents, and the rainfly is the same light tan color as the old Moss tents. Likely the same material. Date of production was 1982, and it has 12.5mm Easton 7075 T9 poles! The junction tubes are aluminum. So are the junction tubes of my first gen Timberlite. My Alpine Meadows uses the standard plastic Timberline junction tubes.

I have no pics of my Sentinel Expedition, but I recorded a video of it the first time I set it up a couple months ago. I will try to upload that video soon, but I am not sure if I should derail this thread any further.

gohammergo likes this.
  31. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd had a 30+ year Timberline itch too, so I bought a T2 and T4 last month when they came on sale. My 5yr old son and I did a camp-out in the back yard last weekend in the T4 and it WAS a luxury apartment. My son could stand up and just reach the peak flat-footed.

I was surprised how quick the pitch was..........6 minutes to "rain proof," then I slowed down to stake it out for a total of 10 minutes. That's fast for me on a first time pitch and not reading the directions.

After a lifetime of dome tents (or sometimes tarps if solo), there was something special about entering the legendary Timberline. Even the bold use of the color green made me smile.

The Timberline 2 will probably become a solo tent due to the lost space of the sloping walls. I also might keep it NIB and have it become my son's first tent in a few years. For now, the Timberline 4 is making us both smile a lot.

gohammergo, slysir and Winterhorse like this.
  32. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I bought a 4 man Timberline in 1975 or 76 and I still use it when I need a "tent". Bought the add on vestibule early on and love the room it adds and is a great place to cook and have a small stove for heat in the winter. It has stood the test of time and abuse for over 40 years. The only thing that has broken or worn out was the netting and eventual zipper failure (on the netting) . I just cut it out as I really only use it for cold weather, winter camping and bugs are not an issue. I would go out and buy another one tomorrow if I needed a new tent. Enjoy it. it just might out live ya!

LostViking likes this.
  33. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations, great classic tent! You won’t be disappointed!

LostViking likes this.