1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Experts: North Korea Targeted U.S. Electric Power Companies

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Crazysanman, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
  2. WY21lmb

WY21lmb Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info. Not surprising they did it, just that they took this long. Maybe they have done it before, who knows.

rsnurkle, isme and Crazysanman like this.
  3. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I know the Utility I work for hasnt gotten them... doesnt mean other Utilities didnt.

isme and Crazysanman like this.
  4. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, Stuxnet. Many happy returns!

marbleman, isme and Crazysanman like this.
  5. Crazysanman

Crazysanman Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Stuxnet was Pandora's box. Once it's done it can never be undone.

marbleman and isme like this.
  6. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you're up for a book, "Lights Out" by Ted Koppel is a pretty good look at how North Korea, China, or Russia can use cyber-technology to attack our power grids and what the consequences could be.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  7. YacoltWose

YacoltWose Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Southwest Washington (formerly known as ORWose)
    Hey man, good book and a good suggestion, but it's actually by Ted Koppel. I get my septuagenarian news casters confused too....

8. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    Not the grid, the power generation stations... they cant cyber attack the grid. The switching, etc is still all done by hand with the exception of re-closures but they are not connected to a network. Honestly though, depending on where you live they can't touch your power... at least when there is day light. Even the substations are inclusive and not networked.

LongChinJon, Crazysanman and isme like this.
  9. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Also read recently that they hacked the South Koreans and stole some of our joint war plans.

I would assume that our gov’t wouldn’t show its hand by coming right out and saying it but I sure hope to hell that our own geeks are hacking the $h!+ out of their systems and keeping tabs on their secrets. These enemy states have no qualms about getting into our business we’d damn well better be elbow deep in theirs.

10. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    N. Korea has limited networking... their hacking unit is suspected of living in China where the internet is better. N.Koreas internet is run through China... basically china could cut them off if they wanted.

Crazysanman and HeadyBrew like this.
  11. HeadyBrew

Blog Posts:
    So I’ve heard. And China could have at one time. Except that Russia just offered to hook up NK with another new network through their largest (state sponsored) internet company giving them redundancy and better protection. And yet some still think the Russians could be our friends...

12. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    While this is new news, it's also kinda old news. Hackers are always trying and have already been in utility systems. US systems are at least somewhat inadequate to handle the infiltration, sure they stop some, but what gets by?

Brokaw's book and other available resources shed light on the issue.

LongChinJon and Crazysanman like this.
  13. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm no expert and I don't play one on TV or any other venue, so my opinion is only my opinion, IMHO even that crazy little fat guy with the weird hair cut in North Korea knows that if he actually executes an act of war on the US, no matter how small, he and his country are toast, served up dry, stale, and black.

Crazysanman, Wasp and Winterhorse like this.
  14. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    But that is not what he proposes to his people. He tells them the USA is afraid of him because of his nukes. He Bans anything that says USA or has the American flag that way when the rice WE and S.Korea provide so his people dont starve his people dont know it comes from US. He refers to it as UN aid and plays it off like he has UN wrapped around his finger because he is a political genius. He teaches his people to hate Americans and teaches them false history to MAKE them hate us... how we wiped out an civilians and tortured the people... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinchon_Massacre They even made a museum to prove to their people this is legit. They hang pictures from the museum in schools of young children so they learn to fear and hate us.

All this saber rattling and provocation isn't for us... it's to prove to his people how evil we are by our response and how powerful he is. Nearly every aspect of these peoples lives are controlled by inane laws and propaganda. Basically he brainwashes everyone in his country.

Except it probably wont happen... N.Korea wont do it unless Russia pays for it. China offered to help create infrastructure so N.Korea could get its goods from China faster... the road leads to the the boarder of N.Korea and stops because N.Korea wont pay for what will run in N.Korea and China refuses to pay for it. This is basically so goods from china that N.Korea needs... including military supplies get into N.Korea faster and they wont do it.

15. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Oops! Appreciate it. Will fix it.

16. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Stuxnet specifically targeted Iran's nuclear program. It could have been spread intentionally by Russian contractors via USB keys. It doesn't help if your network is isolated from the outside, if enemies can breach the internal network.

I work in a place with big automated stuff. About the time of Stuxnet, we had problems, I went to talk to the head guy. I was horrified to see SIEMENS on the PLC controller (I had just been reading about Stux).

There were three or four command IP addresses, I went straight to our firewall guy and said BLOCK THESE NOW! After closer examination, I found that we had a different firmware version, and it was a different problem. Still, this demonstrates how much of these things fall through the cracks.

Crazysanman likes this.
  17. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    Yeah which is a problem at the power plants. The actual grid is stupid and low tech. Once you're out of the plant and into the transmission there isn't much in the way of automation. It's surprising how many people think when there is an outage we can see it... we cant. If it never gets called in we don't know its down. We had an entire neighborhood down for 6 hours because they didnt think they had to call... all due to a blown fuse. 5 minutes and they had power again. However, if you are near one of those "fancy" new solar fields they can drop the power plant and you'll still have power during the day. The only thing that turns those off are usually a few sets of air brakes/mechanical switches.

But what you pointed out is the dangers of things no longer being "made in america"

VanGo, marbleman and Crazysanman like this.
  18. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    It really doesn't matter what he tells his people, Kadaffi did the same thing, he puffed up his chest, cocked his cap, and made idle threats aimed at the US and Reagan, until about 3:00am one morning when an F-16 dropped a guided bomb down his chimney, the next day he issued an apology to Reagan and the US, and declared himself to be one of our staunchest supporters.

Crazysanman likes this.
  19. HeadyBrew

Blog Posts:
    No, it already has happened. Some estimates are that 60% of NK internet traffic now runs through Russia now. Only the remaining 40% is still run through China.

http://fortune.com/2017/10/02/north-korea-russia-internet/

http://www.38north.org/2017/10/mwilliams100117/

Crazysanman likes this.
  20. Moe M.

Blog Posts:
    Call me simple minded if you want to but I'm not going to get too excited about North Korea or the short fat weirdo who's name I can never seem to remember that rules that country, Oh yes, he's nuts for sure, too much fence jumping in his lineage has played hell with the family think box.
    North Korea it's said has the biggest standing army in the world manpower wise, but the country and it's people are starved for food, natural resources, and money, their army is impressive (except for the silly walk when they march) that's for sure, but I doubt his soldiers have more than a magazine full of ammo each, to go to war, even a short one, would bring any sort of normality in the country to a screaming halt, any little bit of money, food, or other resources that trickle down to the people would be diverted to support a war effort.
    If North Korea launched even one nuclear warhead towards the US or any of our allies, the retaliation would be devastating, the North Korean people know this and so does it's military leaders, right now the North Korean military and the leadership under the twerp is enjoying a pretty good existence in a country that has nothing but dirt sandwiches and an ill prepared show of force, but I'm pretty sure that if Kim Jung ramps it up to an actual action neither the government or the people are going to let him take it that far.
    I think it's going to play out like this, his madness is increasing, he's given orders to his generals to make ready for war, he's passed out five more bullets to each of his soldiers, he's readied his few warheads and he's suddenly taken ill, he's suffered a massive heart stoppage so the news tells us, what they aren't telling us is that the cause of his heart stopping are the two bullet holes in the back of his skull, and North Korea starts a new chapter in their nations history.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 9:07 AM
    jasam likes this.
  21. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    That's interesting. I wonder why Russia paid for it... because N. Korea sure didn't lol.

I've met an escaped N.Korean who lives here in MA. Talked to him for about an hour. the people of N Korea basically know little of the outside world other than what they are told or what little manages to trickle in. The most important thing though... the younger generation in N Korea even understand Kim's haircut is dumb

HeadyBrew likes this.
  22. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Careful, or this thread could go missing like the last NK thread... still no clue what happened to that one.

23. HeadyBrew

Blog Posts:
    Really? I hadn’t noticed that. Someone may have brought US politics into the conversation which is no-go. Pretty sure it wasn’t me... I think... lol.

24. JasonJ

JasonJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    No clue, but it was getting to be a cyclical conversation with the ultimate conclusion that we are all screwed no matter what. It's fine, the Yosemite Super-volcano will take care of us long before NK, I think.

Vanitas and HeadyBrew like this.
  25. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    There was new testimony before Congress today regrding the EMP threat from North Korea.

From the article:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/c...ould-kill-90-of-all-americans/article/2637349

Crazysanman likes this.
  26. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    The DoD recently terminated funding for the Congressional EMP Commission:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...ar-why-did-dod-just-defund-congressional-emp-

From the article:

27. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just read this. Very interesting look at how vulnerable we are.