extra flame in Coleman 2-burner stove?

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Chazzle, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Chazzle

Chazzle Idiot Savant Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hi guys, I took my stoves out for their periodical maintenance check, and I noticed my 1950's-era Coleman stove has a flame where the generator tube goes into the burner...should I be concerned? I took everything apart a few years ago and repaired it, but am I missing something?

20190804_174421.jpg
    Chazz

2. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not an expert in these but that happens a lot. Usually it can be fixed by cleaning out the curved channel area after removing the tank/regulator assembly. If it doesn't clear up then maybe you need a new regulator or at least cleaning the regulator tube and nozzle. Also fresh gas helps too.

3. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I’ve seen that where the generator wasn’t thoroughly heated; the cleaner tip stem turned down too quickly, allowing raw liquid fuel to be sprayed into the manifold.

I wouldn’t fret too much,,, maybe next light up there won’t be a problem. If there is, turn the cleaner stem tip up to see if it clears up the extra flame.

And too, make certain the generator tip isn't cracked, or loose,,, And make certain the generator is all the way into the manifold,,, not held out a little by the handle or the locking mechanism.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  4. Chazzle

Blog Posts:
    Even after burning for 15 minutes, its still doing it. I took the tip apart and cleaned it with carb cleaner How do I clean the manifold? Where should I look for fracks? the fuel comes out of the nozzle as a thin stream...is it supposed to be a mist?

Thanks,

Chazz

5. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I go to the Coleman collector site to get info. There is a hole in the manifold for air intake sometimes blocked by spiderwebs or something. I use a ziptie to clean the manifold. Something stiff but flexible. Here is a link to the stove disassembly instructions. It's not hard, I've rehabbed a few of these.
    http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/resources/re_stove_a.php

6. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I also use a good blast of canned air.

7. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Chazzle
    The u shaped tube is flooded.
    1. Shut it off.
    2. Let it cool down for a few minutes.
    3. Remove the fuel tank.
    4. (This is kind of the awkward and tricky part that helps to have an extra set of hands)
    You’re going to turn the whole stove upside down and over backwards to drain out the raw fuel. The grate is going to try and flop open and the back is going to be all floppy and the wings will flap around and about two tablespoons of fuel will drain out.
    5. To ensure it doesn’t happen again this is what I do as part of the lighting procedure:
    Before I put the fuel tank on I open the valve while directing the fuel spray DIRECTLY onto the center of the main burner. Hold the tube about a half inch from the center of the top of the burner. Just crack the valve an shut it immediatly because the fuel mist will continue for a couple of seconds after you shut it off. Practice with it a couple of times to get the timing down. What you’re doing is making a little pool on top of the burner for a primer light.
    6. Put everything back together and make sure your tank is pumped up and ready to go but DON’T turn on the gas.
    Light the primer puddle and wait until it is almost out before you turn the gas on. If you time it right you don’t even have to relight the main burner because the last of the primer flame will light it for you without a big Woosh!

You are heating up the fuel tube making the fuel atomize and burn effectively. This is especially important in cold weather.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019 at 11:49 AM
    Oni, Outdoor Dauber and Chazzle like this.
  8. Chazzle

Blog Posts:
    I will try it this afternoon, gotta heat up the water tub for water-bath canning

Chazz

Winterhorse likes this.
  9. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Remember, you’re going to turn it completely over Backwards. Not just upside down.

Chazzle likes this.
  10. Chazzle

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    It worked!
    Thank you @Winterhorse !

4 lbs. of cherokee purple tomatoes decided to ripen all at once, so I'm makeing 2 qt.s of salsa!
    [​IMG]
    Chazz

Oni and Winterhorse like this.