Eye opening experience.

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Juany118, May 9, 2018.

1. Juany118

Juany118 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'll be cross posting this in the clothing section as it applies to footwear.

Now recently I had to get a new pair of trail runners and while researching them found that many people used them for thru hikes on the AT, PCT etc. So when looking I kept that in mind for a test and so I picked up a pair of Altra Lone Peak 3.5s.

Well today I did a long day hike at French Creek State Park with a 15-20lb load. For people that don't know it, the park has 35 miles of trails, many of them criss crossing, and much of it is made of of rock gardens and steep climbs. These things blew my mind. I felt the trail but my feet didn't get roughed up in the least. My feet hugged the rocks. It made me ask "is this how the trails felt to members of a Native American tribe when they wore moccasins in history?"

The lightness was obvious and I even ran a mile or so with the load with little difficulty.

Now I wouldn't wear these in colder conditions, or day hikes where I am expecting a lot of rain, there I would stick to my Danners. I also would stick to the boots if I was beating bush and not marked trails. However a multi-day hike on marked trails, 3 season, I might well be a convert because your boots are likely to get wet Gore Tex or not and those take A LOT longer to dry than these would. It's going to be an interesting decision on that mark.

2. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have been considering these as an ultralight backpacking shoe. Finding backpacking boots/shoes without goretex has become near impossible, and price of these is quite attractive.

3. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the party, I've been hiking in tennis shoes since I was a child. I have never hiked in boots.

At some point I'll probably pick up some gaters to keep the debris out.

central joe likes this.
  4. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Scout

Blog Posts:
    Light is right!

I wear teva sandles til it snows .
    Sometimes with socks!!!:27:

hidden_lion, central joe and Juany118 like this.
  5. Juany118

Juany118 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you go online you can find the 3.0 for cheaper than the going rate of the 3.5s. apparently it works this way. Pre-3.0s had durability issues. They went much bigger on durability with the 3.0 but people complained they took longer to dry and some other issues related to the fact they went big. The 3.5 is apparently meeting in the middle, more durability but faster drying. It even has some subtle mesh covered drain holes

backlasher and central joe like this.
  6. Juany118

Juany118 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'll likely go hunting for gaters. These even have purpose built gater traps. I used boots previously just because of how Rocky Hiking and Backpacking can be in my area. I tried "regular" sneakers as a kid, and I ran track and cross country. On many hiking trails in this area they didn't cut it. Then again trail running shoes weren't really a thing in the 1980s lol.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    central joe likes this.
  7. Vpetrell

Vpetrell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’m in the same boat. If I’m not wearing my bedrock sandals I’m in trail runners except for the winter, then I use lems boulder boots.

I’ve been trying minimalist foot wear for a few months and love the connectivity they give you when out and about.

8. petey091

petey091 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have worn the Lone Peaks for two years now. I did a 70 mile backpacking trip last year in New Mexico and have been up and down the Md section of the AT with them. They are the most comfortable shoes I have worn on the trail. I will never go back to boots. No break in period needed. On my trip to New Mexico I had two people on the trip wear boots and they got wet the first day. It rained several times that week but my shoes would dry out quickly theirs were wet the whole time.

9. Roamer

Roamer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I gave up boots for hiking a long time ago and use "trail runners" exclusively. I never buy the ones with gore-tex, because I guess my feet are naturally pretty sweaty so they just heat up too much and drown in my own sweat. I wear wool socks all the time, so if I get rained on or have to wade through a stream, I just stop to wring out the socks and keep going. Works for me.

One suggestion: Don't wear your trail runners for street duty if you can avoid it. Pavement wears out the all-terrain-style soles real fast and you'll soon lose traction on the trail.

10. Juany118

Juany118 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was already thinking that myself. The soles are aggressive but "gummy" and so I know they won't like tarmac.

As I said though I do believe my Danner still have the place. IfIf I am going to go off the trail and through the bush I think the boots will get shredded less. Also if I know it's just a day hike and it's going to be raining a lot the Gore tex will be my friend.

Basically, the right tool for the job.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  11. Tiogatires

Tiogatires Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just got a pair of the Lone Peak 3.5 and ordered a pair of dirty girl gaiters for them as well. I like the shoes a ton for hiking so far. I have flat feet and a wide foot. Ive never been able to comfortably wear sneakers before getting these.

My brother in law wears his year round while hiking. Darned tough socks with the dirty girl gaiters as well.

12. MrKnobbie

MrKnobbie Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    yep, I've come to the same conclusion as others, except that I kinda like the Gore tex trail runners. For most of my hiking with light loads, trail runners of varying brands fit the bill.

13. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you like the difference between going from boots to lighter shoes, you would love going from light shoes to barefoot! The added agility and traction is amazing! Not to mention you get way less fatigued climbing steep hills/mountains without shoes than you would if you were wearing shoes.

I can't say for sure how the trails felt to my ancestors but as a modern member of a tribe who frequently goes barefoot I would imagine it's roughly the same feeling :dblthumb:

blind & lost and AK Adventurer like this.
  14. 3VOL1

3VOL1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For light rain, puddle jumping and the shoulder seasons I like to wear sealskinz socks.

15. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm on my fourth pair of Scarpa Crux Approach shoes. Add thin wool socks with a liner sock, and I can hike for miles.

I tried a minimalist shoe but just couldn't get used to it, especially when my heel would land on a pebble. Its like stabbing yourself in the foot!

16. mcostas

mcostas Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Tag for interests.

My feet knees and legs don't like boots when hiking in the flat terrain I usually hike in. My current boot is keens and they are great when we go to the mountains.

I guess the faster plodding along makes them uncomfortable. My alrec shoes work OK though and I'm looking into their trail running line. The store I go to doesn't have that particular model and I don't feel confident ordering new models off the web.

I might need to look around to see if I can find a pair to try on.

17. Juany118

Juany118 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you completely on the last bit. As an example I am usually a 10.5 in a running shoes, I had to go to an 11 in the Altra. That said Amazon has a new thing called "wardrobe" if you are a Prime member. Basically "try before you buy" and with the 2 day turn around of a prime order it's pretty convenient.

https://www.amazon.com/primeinsider/tips/prime-wardrobe.html?ref=insider_homepage