Facing getting older.

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by NevadaBlue, Jul 1, 2018.

1. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It’s not the age, it’s the mileage...

If you have wool blankets use them as your padding instead of purchasing more stuffs. I have slept on many pieces of ground and cots. A slim air mattress wrapped in two wool blankets is what I have found works best. At least for me... A good pillow is worth the space more so to me.

I hope it works out for you!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Or
    Perhaps the lack of maintenance and lubrication
    My intention was to grow old disgracefully, my beloved says that is almost impossible as it would be difficult to become much more disgraceful than I am now

3. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Guide

Blog Posts:
    @NevadaBlue, I've gone full circle; ground, jungle hammocks, then cot-top tents, to fully enclosed boat, and finally back to the ground (thermarest & tarp, etc.). The Cabin Cots were the most comfortable, save for the cot weight. But, worth it. Still have them and some of my buds are still using them - incredibly well-made and durable. I'm just packing more lean now. These Cabin Cots can be set up on the ground, thus the end straps.

Cabin Cot 002.jpg Cabin Cot 004.jpg Cabin Cot 007.jpg Kabe '07 - 022b.JPG Kabe '08 - 046.jpg

4. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker Traveller Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Love those cabin cots!

5. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @LongAgoLEO , Jon, There was a Cabin Cot on ebay that I looked at. I almost bought a pop up cot tent. It is instant like the tent I ordered. But, after considering how much junk I like to haul around, I decided on a real, though small tent. Instant up tent is what I wanted, I hope this one works.

6. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Guide

Blog Posts:
    You did well. I like your setup. Anxious to see it in (real) action.

7. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker Traveller Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    We want pics!
    And also pics of the fire fork in use.....

8. bgf

bgf Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've given in/up for years now :). No shame in being comfortable so you can actually enjoy camping, especially if you are focusing on other activities while you are out.

Car camping, I use either my 12x12 wigwam (one pole) tent or a standing room 64 (http://www.standingroomtents.com) hanging tent under my pop up. I do not use a cot, but considering double high air mattress; I often, however, require room for a chair to sit in, so that I can get my shoes on! The wigwam in particular takes up very little extra space to haul compared to other shelter options, but offers lots in terms of space and comfort. So don't feel guilty! I hope it works out for you.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  9. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    The tent is supposed to be delivered Friday. The fire fork is in transit to it’s new home. I will have to make more. :)

I want to try making a teepee (wigwam?) some day. Should be fun. What I want/need for camping is something just plain EASY to set up and use. :dblthumb:

10. Red Ochre

Red Ochre Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Looks good!

But... What if a big gust of wind popped those side walls back into your head or something?
    Hope they lock into place well.

11. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    47 years old, 22 years of military services speeds up that aging process stuff... I just suffer through on my air mat and tent. I use a "4" person tent form Walmart which gives me room for sleeping and bringing in all my gear when bad weather hits. Plus, living in FL, it helps tremendously with keeping the critters off you at night. I am in the beginning stages of trying out the hammock though. Like some of you, getting off the ground is steadily becoming an Olympic event....

Red Ochre, bgf, happywanderer and 4 others like this.
  12. bgf

bgf Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for misunderstanding, my wigwam is old nylon one from sportsmans guide.
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-single-wigwam-tent?a=1618371

Stake down with 6 stakes, unfold center pole and stand it up, then six stays into pockets on sidewall and six stakes for guide ropes at corners. I can put up in 5 minutes by myself if in hurry. It's been great for 8-10 years (guessing), but has started to show it's age with tears at seams and resultant leaks. I'm going to repair and reseal because they don't appear to make them anymore (at least when I needed something fast) and it is so handy, but I take the hanging tent if heavy rain is likely to be an issue in meantime.

As for making own, go for it. I made an ~8x9 canvas pup tent for primitive events, but it's too low (54" rigde) for my comfort, have to crawl in and out. Ironically, if given a choice, my son will pick that one every time, even just for camping out in a field by ourselves, because he likes the look.

13. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I hope you bought a wide cot. I bought a regular cot from Cabela's and it's about 6" too narrow for real comfort. I had a cheap aluminum fold-in-half cot that was much better (and much lighter).

14. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:

That's one of the tents I have. Spent a lot of time in that. I have had mine around 8-10 years. Haven't had any issues at all. I have it right outside in my van right now actually. :)

Red Ochre, NevadaBlue and bgf like this.
  15. Newtown Mark

Newtown Mark Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There seems to be progression here. I just gave up ground dwelling for a hammock. I can see the issues with getting in and out and struggling with the beding, etc. Maybe after the hammock, I'll move to the cot. Then the pine box.

Red Ochre, NevadaBlue and LongAgoLEO like this.
  16. bgf

bgf Scout

Blog Posts:
    Then you'll believe me when I say I love that tent! It has been used hard, and it doesn't owe me anything, I just need to give it a little TLC and testing before I trust it in a heavy rain again. SG seems to have dropped it for the teepees, which are not as good in my opinion...no kneewall or bathtub floor, if I'm not mistaken.

Planning on putting it in the car for this weekend.

Looking at that link I posted reminded me that there was a 2-pole (24x12) and a three pole (36x12) version as well. Never saw one of those in real life, did you? I suspect the design might have stressed the materials in those dimensions!

gohammergo and NevadaBlue like this.
  17. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    YES, the cot is 35” x 75”. And, it fits perfectly. (Me and the tent)

TWO days early. I did not ask permission to stake the thing to the dining room floor, it is pitched loose. :p

A1F70BFE-03EE-4E49-9F77-5BE9407D139C.jpeg

I couldn’t have planned this better. The cot fits front to back with plenty of room to get in and out of the tent. Crosswise wouldn’t go without the chance of messing up the netting. This thing is PERFECT! My lady even likes it. She wants to pitch it in front of the fireplace this winter and camp IN. :D

9872E896-9481-4E97-B7C5-0728EE7F6C2C.jpeg

Lichen, T. Pollock, Red Ochre and 4 others like this.
  18. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    The little dawg even likes it.

718FEDC1-27F1-4488-AAFB-386D75E825CB.jpeg

2528ADFA-5688-4BD1-8309-08665BDD1350.jpeg

Even a fat old man fits nicely.

284249F9-38C4-4D12-A8C5-9C0E4F01FEE2.jpeg

Sitting on the cot, and reaching my arm as high as I can reach, there is still lots of space above my hand.

There are lots of hanging loops all around as well as two D-rings in the peak for hanging things.

LOTS of room, plenty for my gear and maybe a dance or two beside the bed.

107C79D3-29BB-4EA1-9360-BDE0113C83F2.jpeg

Lichen, T. Pollock, Red Ochre and 5 others like this.
  19. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    The fly is quite nice too. The front of the tent closes with the door, which has screen in the top half. The fly forms a ‘porch’ of sorts over the door and is open on that end.

641B3846-38E2-4280-BDC7-3408FC8FA336.jpeg

The fly clips to the tent stake loops with bungee cord. Obviously, I couldn’t clip it, no stakes.

586E92D3-199A-4167-B13B-FF04268ED33E.jpeg

And a real surprise, there is a ridge to floor, full length zipper in the fly back wall. That lets you tie the rear wall open giving plenty of ventilation if needed.

Pretty neat tent overall. I am very happy with it so far.

Next to try it OUTSIDE!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Lichen, T. Pollock, Red Ochre and 3 others like this.
  20. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Never seen the larger sizes. In fact, you are the only person I have ever heard mentioning having one of these. Maybe they only sold the two of these? :) Maybe that's why they quit making them. :4:

I have thought about getting one of the new tipi ones they have, but something is telling me not to. I'll listen to that something for now.

I'm going to set it up soon and see if I can figure out a way to stove jack it for winter.

Red Ochre, bgf and NevadaBlue like this.
  21. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like that a lot
    While I have seen larger versions of that here this is the first time I've seen a solo unit. Could you please post a link to the purchase site in case they ship O/S ??
    We need an alternative set-up for roadside camping while traveling and this would work well for The Boss

Red Ochre, gohammergo and NevadaBlue like this.
  22. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    I got it at Walmart. It is called a ‘three person tent’ I think. It is Ozark Trails brand.

LongAgoLEO likes this.
  23. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    OH, I found the easy way to pitch the tent if it is not staked. Go inside and push the sides out. I will probably do that instead of pulling anyway. And, they are QUITE strong and stiff. No worry about accidentally collapsing, IMO.

24. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    OK I just found your first link Walmart do not ship O/S and neither will Amazon these days.
    Maybe by this southern summer somebody local will have picked up on it

NevadaBlue and gohammergo like this.
  25. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Guide

Blog Posts:
    @NevadaBlue, that is way more spacious than I anticipated. Love the low profile cot, too. Perfectly matched. Those pop-out style shelters are actually pretty rugged. I've had to replace some of the poles and resetting them into the knuckles can be a tussle, but not impossible. My experience has been with fiberglass poles and issues at (very) sub-zero temps (portable fish houses, deer blinds, etc.). You should have NO problems. I'm impressed.

gohammergo, NevadaBlue and Red Ochre like this.
  26. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Jon! The cot is 17” high too.

LongAgoLEO likes this.
  27. bgf

bgf Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nevadablue,
    That is a nice setup, tent and cot! More than enough room to sleep and keep stuff dry. Combined with a separate fly porch, you'll be set for camping several days at a time. In good weather, I can see pitching just the mesh portion as mosquito netting under a big shading tarp.

Red Ochre, LongAgoLEO and NevadaBlue like this.
  28. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    Yep, exactly. I am hoping to rig a fly tarp that rests on a ridge line that is above and parallel to the ridge on the tent. If there are trees available, that will be easy. I hope to use a setup that will allow sliding the fly over the tent or not. The sky out here is just gorgeous most of the time and there is little rain in summer. So, having the tent open to the sky will be nice.

The next project for this is a ‘desk’. I have a little wooden crate, very old, that was used for shipping something in the far, dark past. (Army stuff I think) It will become a little drop front desk to sit beside the bed. Since I will be camping in the yard or from a vehicle, none of the weight issues apply, as long as the individual pieces don’t weigh too much. I think the cot is the heaviest piece of the kit.

Part of my tyvek find will become a ground cloth for the tent and the rest will become a large tarp.

I am looking for ideas for the desk based on old army or other travel desks.

Red Ochre, Lichen and bgf like this.