Fall 2016 ADK Meet w/GGTBod

Discussion in 'New York' started by EvanStinson, May 23, 2016.

1. happyjackotter

happyjackotter Scout Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Scout

Blog Posts:
    How was the rest of your stay? Any luck with the deer? We took a walk after we packed up the truck and found a great spot with tons of sign about 30 minutes before we really had to go. An obvoius traffic area with tons of nibbles. We sat on it for a few but had to get going.

On the way back i was thinking it would be funny if there was a deer on the dam. Well there was no deer but there were some super fresh tracks in the sand RIGHT IN THE TRAIL on the parking lot side of the dam, not 20 yards from where we put the boats in.

The way they were laid out it really looked like it was standing there then got spooked and took off. Probably you and Bod coming back from the store! I should have taken a picture. The Adirondack buck remains an elusive foe.

"Start Where You Are, Use What You Have, Do What You Can."

EvanStinson, GGTBod, Hanz and 2 others like this.
  3. happyjackotter

Blog Posts:
    I couldn't believe that! Unreal...

EvanStinson, GGTBod and hidden_lion like this.
  4. Beavertail

Beavertail Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I got home last night after 7 days next site over from GGTBod. It was great meeting everyone. One high lite was bannock cooked in bacon grease, my mix but Bod's expertise...ummmmm good.
    Nice week, tough weather but not as tough as Bod, nice guy with a great personality and pretty hard core imho.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

EvanStinson, GGTBod, Hanz and 7 others like this.
  5. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice shots man. It was great to meet you as well. Someday I hope to be where you guys are at and spending a week or more in the wilderness. You camp was very picturesque as we paddled by.

I must say I have never met someone like Bod. Hardcore for sure. It was a real pleasure getting to spend some time with him and meet up with everyone.

EvanStinson, GGTBod, Hanz and 2 others like this.
  6. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks like some pretty steady Temps for you there @GGTBod the rest of today. You guys stay warm and keep that fire going.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

EvanStinson, GGTBod, alukban and 2 others like this.
  7. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Scout

Blog Posts:
    We saw lots of tracks, just no animals. Didn't even flush any birds or rabbits. I think they were voting mostly at night or really early in the morning. Would have to have a good stand and lots of waiting to get one. It was a nice time anyway. No bear tracks either.

8. sweeper54

sweeper54 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just South of the New England Mason/Dixon Line
    There was that one Woodcock down by to canoes.

hidden_lion, EvanStinson and GGTBod like this.
  9. GGTBod

GGTBod Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Well folks i just got back to Mass this evening, took a good double shower and almost smell human now, strangely i miss the smell i had built up from being in the wild for 3 weeks.

Just wanted to thank you all for coming to join me, you all massively enhanced my experience no end and i really hope we all properly keep in touch, i am genuinely honored and humbled that you all put in the effort to join me, everyone of you brought you own little bit of madness to the table and we dined in style on the amazing mix of personas, the memories of this trip will be with me for life and i hope all the friendships we forged will be too.

I will get some pics loaded up once i get my head back in the digital tech mindset, loving the pics you all shared so far, my internet package add on for my cell started playing up so i didn't get to see them all until i got back in the house.

10. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
  11. sweeper54

sweeper54 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm glad you had a good time. Like I said out there It's hard not when you're around a group of people who get it.

Safe trip home.

12. happyjackotter

Blog Posts:
    Adirondack Pajama Party. Haha! It most definitely was a good time. I am glad to have made the trip. It was great meeting all of you. @GGTBod you are quite the character and a good hearted soul. We all came as strangers and left as friends. Good times! Keep in touch. Anyone up for meeting up with Bod next year in Norway? Food for thought...Just imagine that adventure!

13. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    @happyjackotter whoosh I like the sound of that, to tempt the bold and the brave I will share my planning process, my goal is to rent a very basic cabin (sleep space for however many, storage and a wood stove/cooker), this accommodation :4 comes with canoes to match the amount of people they sleep in the cabin, the trip will be in the summer period so glacias will be moving and water will be paddleable, temps and weather will be possible from mid 80s to 30s, I'll share details as I start planning properly

14. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Scout

Blog Posts:
    That would,really be awesome. I never got a chance to get to Norway when I was in Europe.

happyjackotter and GGTBod like this.
  15. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    Just getting ready to fly back to the UK today, just wanted to throw one last group thank you to all those who helped make this happen from those who offered the simplest advice to those who came out and joined me in the wild, you all helped make this one of my most enjoyable adventures to date.

I'll see if I can write up some sort of trip report when I get back, loads of pictures and little videos already up on my Instagram feed if anyone fancies an oggle

hidden_lion, Seeker, alukban and 3 others like this.
  16. happyjackotter

Blog Posts:
    Safe travels!

GGTBod likes this.
  17. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Scout

Blog Posts:
    I send you on your way with a quote I recently read...“There is but one way to learn to do a thing and that is to do it.” -DANIEL CARTER BEARD

As soon as i read that I thought, man living in the woods for 3 weeks is a good way to learn things. You are hard core Bod. Hope to one day be able go on such adventures myself. It was a pleasure to meet you. Have a good trip. Looking forward to seeing back!

18. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    Cheers gents, I'm not hardcore Badger cos in my mind I am only there for one day at a time :4: one day ill be hardcore but that day is not today,' :4: this trip has flew over I really can't believe I am sitting in the airport right now using the WiFi on the way home

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  19. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    Back in England now, i've only been back a single day and i am already feeling overly confined in my inner city apartment, i really think i need to re-evaluate my living situation, i'm sick of needing somewhere to keep all of my stuff i hardly ever use, the trappings of modern life and all that jazz.

Sitting here blown away that you all came out to share some time in the outdoors with me, was such a buzz when you all started turning up at the meeting point and became more than digital, full on real life in your face enhanced by the people we'd met on the internet, i've been exploring a backwoods bushcrafty life now for a few years, always loved the outdoors but only started taking learning about it and putting that learning into practice about 4 years ago and the biggest thing that has happened and changed in my life is myself, my faith in humanity as a species has slowly been rekindling as i keep meeting and mixing with good folks, each of you played a role rekindling my faith in humanity a bit more on this trip.

I know that probably sounds cheesy to some but i have spent a good portion of my life from late twenties to my late thirties jaded towards us overall as a species (myself included in that judgement) but over the last couple of years i have had to question what had felt like a lifetime of belief that i didn't like being around other people and they don't much like being around me either, the experiences in my life over the last few years have made me throw all that in the trash, i really enjoy being around good people and that is what i met who came from this website to share some time in nature with me, good genuine people.

Be more than digital folks, it enhances your life no end (i put that advice in writing as much for myself as anyone else)

20. happyjackotter

Blog Posts:
  21. sweeper54

sweeper54 Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's alway good to be with people that "GET IT".

I'm glad you made it home safe, hope we'll meet up in the future.

22. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. Nothing cheesy about any of that man. Great times.