Farewell Hummingbirds

Discussion in 'Flora & Fauna' started by charlesmc2, Oct 12, 2018 at 3:28 AM.

1. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    First cold front of autumn and “our” hummingbirds head for their winter homes. I love to watch them and especially admire their fearlessness. We started out with hummingbird feeders, but branched out to planting perennials that attract them. Salvias were among our first and our autumn sages soon were a favorite of both human and hummers.

Then I planted Turks caps and these have rewarded us by naturalizing all around. It seems like every shade tree soon gets its own sprig. A real bonus for us is the Turks cap competes well with poison ivy and shades out that vine. My understanding is this plant is native further east in Texas but ours survived the brutal drought of 2011.

Flame acanthus is another hummingbird flower and it has likewise naturalized in sunnier spots. Likewise very heat and drought tolerant in our area between Dallas and Austin.

I’m not an attentive gardener and really appreciate plants that are independent (and attractive).

central joe and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  2. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've been fascinated by humming birds for 60 years. They are fearless, and the migration they make, wow. joe

charlesmc2 likes this.