Fatass "Bushcrafter", meaning me. No more!

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by NCLivingBrit, Dec 14, 2016.

1. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    So I am oldish and big as a walrus. No matter how many knives, pots, tarps, tents, gidgets and gadgets I get I still blow wind going uphill, creak like a tallship in a storm and don't hike much of anywhere. If I was to call myself a bushcrafter I'd be a fraud, a mountebank and a base canard.

At the age of fourty and four I've found myself in the gym for the first time and actually enjoying it. I'm 360lbs (and falling) of newly-motivated, formerly-sedentary fatarse. I'm in the gym twice a week, doing a simple program of weights (my best friend was a personal trainer back in the day) for warmup and an ever increasing distance on the treadmill (up to a mile and a half in 25-27 minutes, which ain't bad for this belly, busted knees and an aversion to sweating).

I'm trying not to eat as much crap, cook more from scratch and avoid the salty, fatty death of fast food. I indulge myself on occasion so I don't go mad, but I'm eating a lot better. The crockpot is my friend.

I finally figured out, my corpus is the only thing I can't buy or trade better. Got to make that crap from scratch apparently.

It's the prep we need the most and a some of us do the least.

2. bud1

bud1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations

NCLivingBrit likes this.
  3. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations on your hard work to take care of youself. You are a young man with a lot of years to look forward to and will be able to enjoy them more.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    gwynn1975 and NCLivingBrit like this.
  4. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hang in there!!! Keep going!!! And no matter what, don't give up!!! When you plateau don't become discouraged; keep going!!! Don't give up!!!

5. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch Scout

Blog Posts:
    awesome job! you may know this already with a trainer as a buddy, but swimming is great exercise, without as much stress on your joints as most land-based activities. keep it in mind for if you start having joint pain or the like (assuming, of course, you have access to a pool at the gym). I am also making a return to former exercising ways, not so much weight loss driven as much as overall endurance and trying to get back closer to my "10 years ago when i was a runner" state.

6. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Chaotic Neutral. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Best of luck on your journey! All this talk of survival, preparedness, prioritizing - it starts with how you treat your body.

gwynn1975, NCLivingBrit and xRangerx like this.
  7. Nonc-Tobe

Nonc-Tobe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good luck! Mind over matter,if you don't mind it don't matter

8. Capt Nat

Capt Nat Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I hope you meet and exceed your goals!

9. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good luck man!

10. Jasonacraft

Jasonacraft Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Stranger on the internet, I am proud of you. The first steps are the hardest and you have taken them. There will be times when you will loose heart, prepare your mind for those and you will face them head on and have a plan to push past them. Keep up the good work! Keep looking for progress, NOT perfection! And you will succeed.

11. WolfSprIng

WolfSprIng Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Look into looseit.com and the loose it app they are a great help for watching what you eat helped me loose 35 lbs in 5 months just by realizing what I was eating, it also incorporates with track my fitness/walk/run app that you can log your workouts. Keep up the great work and good attitude and you will be unstoppable.

12. Hoof

Hoof Guide

Blog Posts:
    Way to go! Stick to it brother

13. Scratchthejeepguy

Scratchthejeepguy Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations and keep the momentum up! I lost 37 pounds last year (but I gained back almost 10...)

14. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations committing those first steps, they are the hardest. 126 days in and 58 pounds down. Each day gets a little easier. I'll still always consider myself a fat boy just in a skinnier body. It's all about the fuel you put in.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  15. delkancott

delkancott Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good luck, stay strong!

16. ewtoutdoors

ewtoutdoors BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good for you my friend, really hope you achieve all your goals.

17. gohammergo

gohammergo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Way to go! You will notice a tremendous difference in your energy and feeling of well being. Congrats and keep up the good work. :)

18. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, all for the support and the advice.

My goal is to be more woods-worthy and to buy cheapass pants at Wal-Mart! No more fat boy pants.

Down about 7# so far. I noticed a visible dent in the formerly unbroken curve of the gut this morning too. Pants that haven't fit in forever are now fitting.

Feels good.

gwynn1975, riverjoe, Hoof and 4 others like this.
  19. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well said NCLivingBrit! Being willing to admit the truth of where you are right now is the first step to making yourself into the person you WANT to be. You've got humility and truth on your side and having a fitness minded friend is a great help and support. You might want to check out the thread called Getting in Shape for the Woods. It is working like a bushcrafters weight loss support group ;)

20. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    well-said, brit. i especially like your use of "base canard." :)

21. Black Feather

Black Feather Hunter Gatherer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great job! A lot of people underestimate how important good physical health is while spending time in the woods. Good for you for taking the bull by the horns and taking care of business!

One great tip for weight loss is to, when you feel hungry, drink a large cup of nice tea, it helps to curb the hunger. Also, stay hydrated. Very, very important for weight loss is drink lots of water!

Please keep us updated!

22. Northwalker

Northwalker Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good job Sir! Stay strong!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

23. boisdarc

boisdarc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great job, I always tell people to eat one junk food a day. But, you have to eat fairly clean the rest of the day. No cheat days, no off days, just one cheat snack a day. That one item can't be a whole sleeve of cookies either. Maybe 5 Oreos or a SMALL glass (not can or bottle) of a soda. In three months you will be surprised.

24. pipehand

pipehand Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Would just like to offer support and encouragement. i would also suggest you ditch anything in your diet that contains high-fructose corn syrup.A good friend of mine dropped almost 100 pounds by quitting the soft drinks, drinking water instead, and hitting the gym. Gook Luck.

gwynn1975, NCLivingBrit and gila_dog like this.
  25. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Hardwoodsman #7 Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Well done you! I have gone through a similar journey and it makes a huge difference. I had a setback with a post-concussion syndrome relapse and put a few back on, and trying to get back into the swing of things, but it is hard during Christmastime.

Keep on it!

gwynn1975, NCLivingBrit and aaronu like this.
  26. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Well done, starting is the hardest part. Friends and family members want you to stay around for a long time.

27. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    " the more you weigh.... the harder you are to kidnap.... eat more Cake !!!"

28. hurricane0331

hurricane0331 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That's awesome. I am also a large fella and in the process of losing weight. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

NCLivingBrit likes this.
  29. rattleweed

rattleweed Scout

Blog Posts:
    Keep at it man. As someone who is 5'8" 145 lbs, maybe I'm not considered the best supporter, but I differ. Input verses output, is the reality. Good health is the foundation, and so on, it really is true. I wish for good things in your future.

gwynn1975 and Keyser Söze like this.
  30. KILLERtj

KILLERtj Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Congrats! I am also in the midst of a lifestyle change.... Best Wishes!

KILLERtj

31. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good for you! By the way, 44 isn't old. You're still a young whippersnapper. Losing all that lard, eating better food, and getting regular exercise may allow you to actually get old. I have a 75 year old hunting buddy who can still climb the mountains chasing elk. He certainly makes me feel old at 67 when I'm trying to keep up with him.

32. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    You're as old as you feel. Sometimes I feel like handing folks the shovel and telling them to start tossing the dirt in :)

Aches and pains add up when you're twice as heavy as you should be.

NJHeart2Heart, gwynn1975 and gila_dog like this.
  33. RobOz

RobOz Scout

Blog Posts:
    It's all about a lifestyle change. I was up to 270 (I'm 6'2") around this time last year. I now go around 210. Eat smart and stay active. Think of food as fuel. I'm 49 and feel pretty good. Aches and pain are just part of sucking air when you get past 40.

Congrats and keep up the good work.

34. Blaker55

Blaker55 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    We can want all we want. But until you hit bottom and fix you head around it, you can't start the climb up. Sounds like you got your head right.

When I retired I was about 210 ish. Dropped to about 197 the first year mostly because I wasn't stress eating, seldom drank soda, drank more water. Then put some thought into it and only managed to drop to and stay around 192 for a couple of years. Every time I make a drop of even a few pounds, man do I feel better.

Then, this spring my son in law was diagnosed with a bad form of cancer/tumor. The wife and I made many trips to them (300 miles) and often one of us was there to help with their new adopted little one and help with food, laundry, yard etc. It was a hot summer and I was drinking a lot of water or ice tea. More than normal.

One day in Aug, I got my wide on on the scale and it said 182. ???? I had no clue I had lost that much. To busy working, traveling, moving, sweating and praying. Now, Im on the scale often, trying to maintain that by eating smaller portions. I still eat some crap, but not as much.

You can do it. It didn't all add up on you in a few weeks and it won't all come off real fast either, but it can work. Keep your mind right. Maybe your a stress eater too. If so, try to get a handle on that... somehow.

Good luck. We are rooting for you.

PS. Son in law last scan showed no tumor, no cancer. Thanks to God and the skills and knowledge he gives the Dr's.

PSS. How many stone is 360 lbs?

35. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Going for a 6 mile run (literally) through the snow in the woods with a pack on in a few minutes. Was 300 lb (lost 80 from that time) with diabetes and high BP under 2 years ago. Had to walk with a cane at one point cuz the foot swelling and pain was so bad. Now this 6 mile snow run through the snow won't even make me breath hard. Not sure how deep the rabbit hole goes at this point in terms of endurance but it feels beyond good. Bottom line. No fancy gear can replace going out there and moving. If I, Pastor Chris and Tangotag can do it so can you. It will feel like having super powers but really it is what you were intended to be. You can run down a deer or horse. Watch it drop from exhaustion before your feet. All of nature will know exactly what you are. Believe me. You just temporary forgotten that's all.

36. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Brit , Hey looking at the bright side....you still have all your head hair and at least half your teeth !! :D :dblthumb:

boisdarc, Woods Walker and gwynn1975 like this.
  37. FreudianSlip

FreudianSlip Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good luck. It's my understanding it's 80% diet and 20% exercise when it comes to weight loss. Keep up the good work!

gwynn1975, NCLivingBrit and redmech like this.
  38. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    I wonder who came up with that? Did not work that way for me. Then again never did think about the percentage of anything. Too much thinking about stuff and too little doing. It is a cure with me at times.

Just jogged 7.6 miles through the snow! Slight bit harder than expected but sprinted the 1/2 mile to stick my finger in its eye! Will post pics here!

39. friluftsliv

friluftsliv Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations on your success. I'm on a similar journey and we're of similar age. A year ago I was 325 pounds. This morning: 254. I'm dropping over 10 pounds every month now since around August. What changed for me was nothing short of a lifestyle reboot. No drinking calories. Eating healthy foods, frequently, in small quantities. I work at a standing desk now, and walk at least four miles every day. No gym for me, but there's the Bowflex Max trainer in my workshop and the kettle bell. When I can, I get out kayaking or canoeing, love going for hikes in the woods. Just keep moving.

It takes awhile. I go against some common advice by weighing in every single morning right after peeing so I get a consistent "lowest weight of the day" at the same time of day recorded. I've also been recording my BP and heart rate. It shouldn't be a surprise that these are now much improved after several months of weight loss.

Stick with it! Figure out what's going to be sustainable for you and do it.

40. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Ok!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  41. Woods Walker

Blog Posts:
    Don't forget the victory coffee after! No sugar!

[​IMG]

42. JackOfClubs

JackOfClubs Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good progress! I'm currently doing the opposite (gaining weight, oh the woes of a football player) but definitely watch what you drink! So many useless sugars in too many drinks. Water with a bit of lemon juice is my favorite for fueling the beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43. redmech

redmech Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Awesome start. From January of this year till now I've lost 84 pounds. Changed my diet to a paleo diet. I went from 275 to 191 this morning. I'm a firm believer that you lose weight at the table thru diet and get fit at the gym. The gym and exercise will help lose weight for sure. But you can't outwork poor diet.

You've started the hardest part. Now just stick with it and you'll pull thru.

Congratulations.

44. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Way to go . Like me you didn't get that big without sweets.
    Try and train yourself to use fruits as your desert .

45. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Congrats! I am blessed with good genes, but abused the privilege for too many decades. In the last 6 months I have lost about 7% of my original body weight. I eat less crap, drink more water, and move more.

46. Trapper joe

Trapper joe Scout

Blog Posts:
    hang in there you are not alone. I am about in the same shape. need to loose weight too.

47. caoutdoorsman

caoutdoorsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Keep at it! I've lost 65 pounds over the last 3 years.
    Keep chipping away at it and you'll get there, what helped me was to remember "every little bit counts"!

gwynn1975 likes this.
  48. gwynn1975

gwynn1975 Misguided Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Great job!!

As a former big guy (265 down to 195) all I can offer that hasn't been mentioned already.

Watch the mirror and not the scale. Your weight will fluctuate through water loss, morning versus night, but the mirror won't lie to you. When I was on my weight loss journey, I forced myself to not look in the mirror all week. Friday was my mirror day. If you look at yourself everyday, you won't notice much change. But if you only do it once a week, you'll see a new man every time.

Keep up brother

cek, boisdarc, riverjoe and 2 others like this.
  49. hadati

hadati Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Good job.

Remember not to overdo it. Being consistent over the long term is what yields results.

Happy New Year!

gwynn1975 likes this.
  50. MASC1104

MASC1104 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Commonwealth of Virginia - The mother of states
    Congrats! Let myself go up to 250 at one point. Back down to 188 now.

gwynn1975 likes this.