Faux Fawn's Foot

Discussion in 'Axe Mob' started by CampCowan, Jul 15, 2017 at 9:44 AM.

1. CampCowan

CampCowan Wabi Sabi Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    So here's the scoop; I have a very nice Artisan double weighing in at 3.25 lbs, I want to set it on a 28 inch handle but it is a full size eye. My local hardware store has pretty decent 36 inch handles but can't order anything shorter with a full size eye. Solution, cut down a 36 to 28. Simple enough except I'm losing the oh so important bulge.

My first thought is jute and epoxy. Would allow me to build it up (I think) exactly to my preference and probably look cool to boot. Anyone else solving this particular problem another way?
    IMG_2413.JPG

Holmesmade, ManyHammers and Broke like this.
  2. ManyHammers

ManyHammers Tracker

Blog Posts:
    What about thin wood laminate and epoxy? Once that cures you can make it look close to what the full length handle was,clamp it with some hose clamps while it cures.
    I'm thinking about jute and epoxy for the handle on a Estwing type childs hatchet.

Holmesmade and CampCowan like this.
  3. Holmesmade

Holmesmade Guide

Blog Posts:
    image.jpg

I patched the foot of a single bit yard sale find and it came out pretty nice.
    Cut a couple inches at the bottom sides flat, then glue and pin the material needed to form a new swell. It'll take some work shaping it down, but it'll be worth it.
    Drill the pin holes at intersecting angles to add some extra strength to the joints.

CampCowan and ManyHammers like this.
  4. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hardware store handles are so thick that with a straight handle you could easily reshape one to have a nice swell anywhere along the length and then simply cut it down. In the end you'll have a nice proper thin handle that won't beat you up in the length you desire.

ManyHammers, Holmesmade and CampCowan like this.
  5. CampCowan

Blog Posts:
    This was my first thought. While there is some material to remove I have been having rare luck with my local store and getting some pretty good handles to start with. The second issue is that I also have quite large hands so I am going to thin it but only a small amount.

I guess that is the plan of action, cut er down, thin as much as possible while leaving the new swell as big as possible and see where I'm at once that is done. I appreciate the ideas and help folks

Holmesmade likes this.
  6. Leif

Leif Staff Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Can always make a handle from scratch maybe?

CampCowan likes this.
  7. CampCowan

Blog Posts:
    I would love to do that. I really think a handmade handle would be the absolute bees knees. I did just acquire an old but very functional craftsman band saw. I could definitely rough it out with that. Might have to look into some hickory blanks.

Hadn't even thought of that. I could pull it off.

Just did a quick search with mixed results, do you just get a 1/6 at Home Depot and have at it? That seems to be the simplest way to start.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017 at 5:16 PM