Favorite backpack for camping/hiking

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Shane, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Waynemanning84

Waynemanning84 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I gotta be honest peto in the classifieds on this site makes a rolled top waxed canvas bag that looks really nice... He makes other styles as well and the quality looks amazing...

Red Ochre and DomC like this.
  2. matjbrown

matjbrown Tracker

Blog Posts:
    ULA CDT, it's inexpensive and will carry a few days worth of gear in comfort.

Not Sure and DomC like this.
  3. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    Update on my grail pack. I've since switched over to UD 25 and a GG Kumo. Kumo has the lead so far. I've had 5 packs since the ULA lol

I think I've got a problem......

4. Evilwhitey

Evilwhitey Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Like most have said, figure out how large a pack you need first, and what your use case will be which makes a huge difference.

I use a ULA Circuit for most of my backpacking these days. I love it.

When the kids start backpacking with me I'll need something that can haul more weight and more volume so I'll probably go with a seek outside pack since they are light and carry very well.

https://www.ula-equipment.com/products/packs/

https://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacks/

Not Sure likes this.
  5. xrayit

xrayit Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have been using the ULA circuit for the last few years with no issues, have a Six Moon Design Fusion 65 that I use for winter load outs. This year I decided I needed more versatility and durability even if it meant going with a heaver pack. I decided to buy into the HPG ecosystem, Tara, Lindi, AHBC and Ute with some external pockets. Based on the winter load out trips I have done so far I am pretty happy with the switch to HPG packs. If I decided to do a thru hike where I was doing 20 miles a day then the 3 extra pounds may make a difference but for my current 6 to 10 mile a day hikes with various load outs ( winter-hunting-fishing-camping) the HPG versatility, durability and carry comfort makes more sense for me.

Creaky Bones likes this.
  6. Flash

Flash Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The circuit can take up to 35lbs, not 20lbs. The Catalyst takes 40lbs. They more or less have the same belt and straps as far as weight load capability. Both great packs, if deciding between the two I would base it on the volume you need, the catalyst holds an extra 7 L,,. that is a bit more room of you need it depending on your gear load out.

Not Sure and Evilwhitey like this.
  7. Flash

Flash Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's hard to recommend a backpack for someone just off the cuff. It's much easier when someone has a backpack already and they are looking to change. Based on what you currently have and what you are looking for, it not too hard to give a recommendation. You're looking for your first pack, it's a little tough unless you give a bit of detail of what you want to do, and a gear list. some people buy light weight low volume gear and others go heavy and bulky. I picked up a ULA circuit a few years ago. when I first packed it I had trouble getting the gear I use to put in my gregery. Now all but my long winter hauls with a lot of food and zero deg quilts and under quilts and warm winter gear it's more room then I need. For warmer weather I now use the ULA CDT, it weight is 19oz,.. I think it's haul weight is only 20 lbs, I have yet to push it past that. I have used a Zpacks Arc Haul, that is also a really comfortable pack and holds a bit of weight for how light it is.

Bottom line, as others have said, you really need to get an idea of what gear you are going to need to pack into it. I would also recommend going to an REI and trying on a few packs (they have weight to use to test it loaded). REI does not carry alot of the great cottage co packs like ULA, Zpacks, MLD, etc. But it's a good starting point. After you get an idea of what you are going to put into the pack, gear wise, I would pick up a used pack off ebay, or even look in the WTS section on this site. If you buy used, use it for a few trips and decide you want to change to another pack, you can sell it for about what you paid for it. Picking a backapck is really a learning experience.

8. ALwoodsman

ALwoodsman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was searching for a new lighter weight pack last year. I have had several Kelty packs. They are not bad but usually on the heavier side. It came down between a ULA and Granite Gear. I ended up with a Granite Gear Blaze mainly because of the thicker padding on the straps. So far I love it. It is lightweight and handles a load well.

9. GreatLakesWoodsman

GreatLakesWoodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMG_20180313_133429_728.jpg Mystery ranch Sphinx, my Grail pack. The most comfortable pack I've ever carried whether it's 25lbs or 55lbs on my back. Compression is amazing.

M.Hatfield and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  10. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Never thought of the gear first concept.About four years ago my wife bought me a High Sierra Appalachian 75,a 75 cubic inch backpack.I think she paid about $100 for it on Amazon.Nevertheless it's the pack I use for all my trips,usually just overnighters though.There's lots of excess strapping,but once the pack is full it's not so bad.There's a lower chamber that's closed off with a zipper,perhaps for a sleeping bag,probably clothing or a tent.Then there's the main chamber,I couldn't tell you how many cubic inches,probably around 50ish.The top that closes down over the pack has several large pockets,and there's four side pockets,the larger two fit up to 32 oz water bottles.There's two large straps hanging at the butt end that secure a sleeping bag.A rollup mattress would best be secured by the top before it's cinched tight.There was a sternum strap but that broke.Then there's a waist strap that straps secure around the waist.There's also a cover that slips over the pack when it's raining.On a scale from one to five,I rate it a 3 as it's no high end pack.
    DSCN1948.JPG
    DSCN1846.JPG
    DSCN1945.JPG 21432989_1650593004959531_6282530309578289875_n.jpg

11. thereandbackagain

thereandbackagain Scout

Blog Posts:
    Some points I am becoming more aware of are the shoulder harness and belt system, what's going on between your backside and pack and how the best pack can be compromised or bad one improved simply by packing smarter. A short Varusteleka YOUTUBE on packing got me thinking about a lot of preconcieived ideas. We see
    other folks doing something one way and nobody really questions why?
    I've owned, since NIB the BW Mountain Ruck for 18 years and never knew about the folding groundcloth. They were all removed to lesson SH and when I finally acquired one it was DUH! Also Spracht Zarathustra epiphany. I like surplus, but those damn side pockets for what? Spare magazines are never quite right for a nalgeen bottle etc commercial rigs seem more conscious of. I was looking for a daypack I could piggyback empty in a larger unit to repack a smaller kit for out of camp use. All of a sudden that tough canvas and weight became prohibitive for packing down. I picked up that frightening Veshemshok from Russia. You can fold it up or simply shove around other gear ( Varusteleka solution for sleeping bag) and it is splendid for that but without layered clothing those minimal straps are murder.

12. MEC003

MEC003 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Osprey Talon 22 is pretty much perfect for day hikes. I use mine for hiking, edc, amusement park carry, and travel.

13. Cole Gray

Cole Gray Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Granite Gear crown v.c. 60 2#2oz. I got it 2 years ago and it was worth every penny.

GreatLakesWoodsman likes this.