Favorite coffee?

Discussion in 'Food' started by froldt, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Biker Bushcraft

Biker Bushcraft Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There are many good coffees out there but a good bean prepared poorly will never match an "OK" bean prepared well. I typically buy Peet's. The Major Dickason's is one I particularly like. It is consistent and the dark roast is good if prepared well.
    Dark roast is a must if you actually want to taste the coffee. Grind it as close to when you plan to brew as possible. Drip through is best but makers like the Bialetti Moka work very well.
    Using the drip through method bring the water to steam but not to boil. Make sure the water is filtered or at least does not taste of chlorine. Wet the grounds and let them sit before pouring the water through. Use the single cup cone and make one cup at a time.
    As for the grind, a finer grind will make for a stronger and slightly more bitter taste. Course grind will make for a lighter taste but if too course will weaken the coffee.
    If you freeze your beans let them warm to room temp before grinding.
    The nice thing about coffee is you get to drink it while experimenting with the taste.

Blackhawk45hunter likes this.
  2. Medius

Medius Scout

Blog Posts:
    Didn't know if I'd find another "classless" 8 Oclock fan on here haha! I'm currently stationed in Hawaii, have been to Kona several times for work and hit most of the major coffee plantations in Kona for "real" Kona brews. It's good stuff, I usually pick some up as gifts, but man it's expensive and I just don't seem to have a refined enough palate to enjoy the difference from the right cheap stuff. I'd say figure out if you like light, medium, or dark roasts more and then just keep trying new stuff until you find one or two brands/types that you really enjoy. Doesn't need to be fancy, there's just as many good cheap coffees as there are good expensive ones.

3. darodalaf

darodalaf Guide

Blog Posts:
    My favorite coffees are from my local independent, but my favorite unpretentious "available at a store near you" brands are Chock Full o' Nuts and Cafe Bustelo.

4. rmorgan736

rmorgan736 Scout

Blog Posts:
    greek grandmother style half pound of espreso roast.whatever was on sale put it in a pot boilit for about 15 min let sit for 10 min pour slowly into cup 2 sugars choke it down and go like hell all day long

Blackhawk45hunter and BalsamFur like this.
  5. xwmstormx

xwmstormx Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Currently I'm into Maddie and Bella. I'm a big fan of dark roasts and the Sumatra from them is quite nice. The bonus is that they are local roasters downtown and they sell whole bean with roast date printed on the packages. The only way I'll get a newer roast date is if I do it myself in a popcorn maker. hehe.

6. Benjamin Shoemaker

Benjamin Shoemaker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Black rifle coffee company. Veteran owned and operated. Roasted to order. The guy that owns it is putting veterans to work. They have many different blends and some of the best coffee you will ever put in your mouth. They also have a coffee club that you sign up for and they automatically send you more coffee. This is a bag I ordered. IMG_20170425_181828.jpg

Hoover77, SC864, fire65 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Scout

Blog Posts:
    I perfer folgers, but I love witch ever cup of coffee that is in front of me

8. tcb

tcb Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Second on Black Rifle Coffee, the stuff is good and the commercials are funny as well. When I'm out and about and don't want to "brew" I use Trader Joe's freeze dried. Box of 10 costs 1.99 and comes with cream and sugar. Tastes better than the Starbucks Via to me.

SC864 likes this.
  9. Benjamin Shoemaker

Benjamin Shoemaker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Let's try some new blends from black rifle IMG_20171218_174140.jpg

Hoover77 and SC864 like this.
  10. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    8 O’Clock Columbian Peaks, Black and by the gallon.....

11. SC864

SC864 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm another Black Rifle Coffee fan , you have got to try this roast .
    Perfect for the morning kick . I buy it whole bean and use a GSI Java Mill set fine and a Aeropress when backpacking .

1515894096389429847433.jpg

151589423863064706256.jpg

The coffee clubs free shipping is hard to beat .

Hoover77 likes this.
  12. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Favorite coffee is the one that I have in the cup. Need caffeine... who put all those extra letters in that word?

SC864 likes this.
  13. Billmcnabb

Billmcnabb Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Tim Hortons is my go to...I'm Canadian EH! But Jamaican Blue Mountain is my fav!

[​IMG]

14. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    A company out of Vancouver Canada. Their organic fair trade and all that. But simply excellent full flavored and consistent bag to bag. I only buy in beans only grind as needed. Keep at room temp. The bag does the rest. Opening a bag is like a coffee fist square in the nose!

lush-wb_600x600.jpg

15. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Tracker

Blog Posts:
    IMG_5701.JPG IMG_1448.JPG ROASTED AT HOME! :)
    I buy green, unroasted coffee beans from burman coffee::::
    http://www.burmancoffee.com/
    I havent looked back since. My favorite beans is from Papua New Guinea. I then grind my own beans with a burr grinder and have a precise coffee to water ratio. It definitely pays to learn how to a coffee snob.
    I bought the grinder in the photo at an antique store but started using it after my electric one broke.
    Roasting is as easy as google. I started with the dog bowl method and heat gun. It is pricier but cheaper than buying it by the cup at places worth buying from.

SC864 likes this.
  16. isme

isme Guide

Blog Posts:
    Foothills of the Great Smoky mountains, Tn
    IMG_20180114_055024.jpg
    This combination works pretty good for me, good and strong, but not bitter...

I like other coffees, but this is my normal go-to in the morning...

SC864 likes this.
  17. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    For a splurge, this stuff is awesome! I'll often buy a can and cut it into the Foldgers or Maxwell House at home. It also makes a heck of a cowboy coffee on the trail.

medaglia doro expresso.jpg

I like drinking cowboy coffee, but hating carrying cream and sugar, so I usually have Nescafe 3-in-1 in my pack. French Vanilla flavour is my current favourite.

nescafe fv.jpg

SC864 likes this.
  18. Hoover77

Hoover77 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Another Black Rifle Coffee lover here, just signed up for the monthly coffee club. I get it whole bean and grind it myself. Great coffee and company!

Glock Holiday and SC864 like this.