Favorite stomps in New Mexico

Discussion in 'New Mexico' started by NM_Coyote, Jun 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NM_Coyote

NM_Coyote Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I thought it would be fun to see where others in the area bushcraft. To kick it off I will post photos of my backyard. :1: I live in the Manzanita Mountains East of Albuquerque. I can hike directly from my property into 18,000 acres of National forest. The Sandia mountains are to the Northwest and the Monzano Mountains to the South.

Manzano Mountains 2.jpg This photo is looking south down the trail from a ridge one hour hike west of my house. Good place to stomp but very little water. There is only one highway between here and the mountains in the distance.

Manmade Tinaja.jpg

This is what counts as a water hole in the region. This is one of 2 man-made tinajas (tanks) placed for the benefit of local wildlife. They are fed by water tanks that include a rain/snow catchment system. It took me nearly 20 years in the area before I found both as the locations are not published. They don't hold that much water so I don't use them but carry all/most of the water needed for outings. (Saving the water for the Bears, mountain lions, deer, and other coyotes etc they were intended for.) But these are GREAT places to see game.

What's your favorite stomp?

Coyote Ron

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  2. mcdudr

mcdudr Scout

Blog Posts:
    You're a very lucky man-just beautiful.

NM_Coyote likes this.
  3. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For me it's mostly the Gila and Magadalena country. Big, empty of people, lots of public land.
    IMG_4660.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  4. pecktron2000

pecktron2000 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just got back from NM. We hiked the Gila loop trail. Beautiful country!

gila_dog, NM_Coyote and Winterhorse like this.
  5. redneckron

redneckron Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My closest favorite stopping ground in the Jemez Mountains. this road leading into the Gilman tunnels via Forest Road 376

[​IMG]

This is above the Forest road 376 when comes over Guadalupe river..

[​IMG]

6. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been fortunate to visit NM several times, alas my friend in Albuquerque has moved on to San Diego...

But I really liked the Gila Wilderness areas I've been in......last fall visited the Chama River area not too far from the monastery....places I would for sure go back to....

gila_dog, redneckron and NM_Coyote like this.
  7. Kimber22

Kimber22 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I really like that area! Looks like fun.

NM_Coyote likes this.
  8. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    Looks like you are close. We should meet up for a hike sometime.

Coyote Ron

9. kelpie13

kelpie13 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice views. Heading out ya'lls way this coming weekend from Seattle. Stalking some fine red chile in Abq and the surrounding eateries. Was hoping to get a hike or two in. Definitely going to hit the petroglyphs park on the edge of town. Can you guys recommend any other good local hikes for me and the ol' lady? Coming in Saturday night and back out Wednesday morning.

NM_Coyote likes this.
  10. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    @kelpie13 would you prefer Desert or Alpine or Raprian? Do you want to be more in the Woods or are Paneramic views more to your liking?

Coyote Ron

11. kelpie13

kelpie13 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Any terrain sounds great. We grew up in West Texas so the desert and New Mexico forests are familiar to us. Do you know if there is a good local book we can pick up that shows nearby trails or hikes?

NM_Coyote likes this.
  12. Kimber22

Blog Posts:
    I found one at REI in ABQ. Best hiking trails around ABQ, and another was best of Sante Fe.

NM_Coyote and kelpie13 like this.
  13. kelpie13

kelpie13 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ha ha, I just checked to see if there was an REI in ABQ for that exact reason. Great minds think alike.

NM_Coyote likes this.
  14. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    The best book I have found that is currently available is Sandia Mountain Hiking Guide by Mike Coltrin (2005) (Also has a map by the same name). His website is http://www.sandiahiking.com. It has a good list of the trails with descriptions, difficulty, etc

I have a copy of Hiking Trails of the Sandia and Manzono Mountains by Kay Matthews (1997). Good book but getting a little long in the tooth and some of the trails have changed.

There are several good books out there for hikes in New Mexico in General.

REI probably has the books. But being a national company I've usually found that they have more info about other areas than the local area.

The best source of hiking, fire restriction, fees and trail news I've found is the Sandia District Ranger Station in Tijeras.

Their website is at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/cibola/home
    The Recreation subpage has links to info about most of the trails as well as directions to trailheads/parking.
    The Station bookstore/visitors center has a large number of books, maps, and Field Guides for the local region. There is also an archeological site for Tijeras Pueblo next to the station. This is a must visit resource (and, no I don't work for the Forest Service.:50:)

Coyote Ron

gila_dog likes this.
  15. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    A really good hike for an introduction to the area is to drive to Sandia Crest and take the trail south toward the top of the Tram. The Ranger Station I mentioned earlier is on the way. Nice drive and a beautiful hike in a cooler zone. (11,000+ ft.)

The views are stunning (though right now the smoke from fires to the west may limit.) This picture was taken at the trailhead in spring a year or so ago.

149.jpg

Coyote Ron

16. gila_dog

Blog Posts:
    Sandia Crest trail is a really nice hike, especially in this hot weather we're having now. You can drive up on the back side of the mountains and it's really pretty, dense forest. There are pull-offs for trails along the way. Or can also get to the Crest Trail by riding the tram up from the edge of the city (off Tramway Blvd). It's a nice ride with great views of the canyons and face of the mountains. If you do that I would recommend riding up in the late afternoon, then staying up there until after dark and watching the city lights come on. Check the tram schedule for sure. There is a restaurant at the top, but I don't know if it's any good or not. The best restaurant in ABQ if you like New Mexican food is El Patio, on Harvard St, near the university. I recommend the #10, green chile chicken enchiladas. And get a couple of sopaipillas and some honey for desert. Welcome, and have fun!

NM_Coyote likes this.
  17. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    BTW, The restaurant at the top is no more. It has been torn down. I understand they are building something new.

18. redneckron

Blog Posts:
    I found a new favorite stomp but don't own a canoe to get there. On the Rio Grande above Cochiti lake
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  19. gila_dog

Blog Posts:
    Cochiti Lake can be a lot of fun. There are all kinds of fish in that lake (northern pike, walleye, small and large mouth bass, crappie, blue gills, trout, catfish, and of course carp). I like that it's a no-wake lake so it's fairly quiet. Watch out for the rattlesnakes!!! I once saw a huge one, right about where you're standing.

NM_Coyote and redneckron like this.
  20. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Spent a summer in Taos Ski Valley. Beautiful area. I'm a little scarred to return and see how hard it might have been hit but western spruce budworm.

NM_Coyote and redneckron like this.
  21. redneckron

Blog Posts:
    I have fished Cochiti number of times and only caught one fish but then I don't know the lake. A friend's father in law has had great success on the lake for a couple reasons-he is retired and has time and lake transportation to get around the water on the lake.

NM_Coyote and gila_dog like this.
  22. Kimber22

Blog Posts:
    I need directions to where you are standing! I hear there are big trout in the Rio Grande. That looks like an incredible place to wade and fish with Mrs.!!!

NM_Coyote likes this.
  23. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    Hey @redneckron, I have a tandem Kayak. We should arrange a paddle.

Coyote Ron

24. NM_Coyote

Blog Posts:
    If it's where I think it is it can only be reached by boat. There are places further north where one can get access to the water and there are some very good hikes with fishing (I'm told).

Coyote Ron

25. gila_dog

Blog Posts:
    If you want to find big trout you'll need to go to the Rio Grande Gorge area, up toward Taos. It's a rough hike down into the canyon, and pretty primitive when you get there, but there are some really big trout. Also big northern pike. But it's not the place to wade and fish with the Mrs unless she is a really tough boulder climbing kinda girl. The river is cold and clear, and it's great trout habitat. But downstream, below Espanola, the water gets too muddy and warm for trout.

Cochiti lake, on the other hand can be a nice place to go, and wander the bank and fish. It helps a lot to have a boat, tho.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    NM_Coyote likes this.
  26. baylis

baylis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    NM is my favorite territory in the whole world

friends tell me I should go here or there farther north and west and I tell them I might, but I would never get past NM, because it offers all I want

when I'm not there, I'm dreamin' or schemin' to get there

here are a few favorites:

- upper Pecos River watershed, Pecos Wilderness Area, Santa Fe National Forest
    - upper Little & Big Tesuque Creek watersheds, Santa Fe National Forest
    - Rio Mora watershed, Santa Fe National Forest (Pecos River drainage, not Mora River near Mora)
    - upper Red River watershed, Carson National Forest
    - Cimarron River watershed, Cimarron Canyon State Park

future:

- Whiteman Vega, Valle Vidal, Carson National Forest
    - San Pedro Parks Wilderness, Santa Fe National Forest
    - Valles Caldera Preserve
    - Trout Lakes & Canjilon Lakes, Carson National Forest
    - Rito la Presa watershed (La Junta canyon), Carson National Forest

also like the area northeast & south of Cloudcroft, Lincoln National Forest, though haven't spent enough time there to say much

the east slope of Sandia is nice above 8,000 feet

juniper, piƱon and ponderosa are great, but locales with aspen & spruce are preferred

personally, 8,000-9,000 foot elevations are "easier" to get to and breathe in, but 9,000-10,000 foot elevations are favored...as long as the trekking pace is slower!

gila_dog and NM_Coyote like this.
  27. gila_dog

Blog Posts:
    Baylis, you should check out the northern edge of the Gila Wilderness. Drive to Snow Lake, then hike down the middle fork of the Gila river about 5 miles to where Iron Creek comes in. Really nice aspen country, and you will probably have it all to yourself. Wear some good water shoes because I think it's about 9 river crossings before you get there.
    San Pedro Parks Wilderness also highly recommended.

NM_Coyote and baylis like this.
  28. baylis

baylis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    thanks @gila_dog

looking at the map of the area now

looks like my kind of place

been wanting to visit the Gila for many years, just haven't made it yet

how's the fishing in this location?

gila_dog and NM_Coyote like this.
  29. gila_dog

Blog Posts:
    The fishing isn't so good. Forest fires and the resulting toxic mud floods, plus deliberate poisoning by the US Fish and Wildlife Service to rid the high country streams of non-native fish, have had a bad impact. So, don't go to the Gila country planning to catch a lot of fish. But it's really beautiful, wild, remote country and if that's what you like, you'll certainly find plenty of it. The main concern about going into the north area is how remote it is. You are a long way from a town with a Walmart or a hospital or even a traffic light. Make sure your vehicle is in top shape. Your cell phone will not work. To get to the northern area you would come in from Reserve, NM which is a very small town with not much to offer in the way of services or supplies. You can get basic groceries, and have a flat tire fixed, and they do have a decent medical clinic, but that's about it. I also like to come up the Gila river from the south, down near the cliff dwellings. Lower country, different kind of forest, but the water is really special. Lots of fishing holes and swimming holes. Big deep rock walled canyons. Some hot springs if you know where to look. To get to this area you come thru Silver City, which has everything you need in the way of supplies and services. Exploring the Gila country is more of an expedition, rather than a quick little tourist visit. But if you have the time for it, it's really special.

baylis and NM_Coyote like this.
  30. Kimber22

Blog Posts:
    Oh my Mrs is a good ol fashioned deep south farm girls. She has G.R.I.T.S. She is up for anything.

gila_dog likes this.
  31. gila_dog

Blog Posts:
    Then head for the Rio Grande Gorge State Park.
    http://www.stateparks.com/rio_grande_gorge_state_park_in_new_mexico.html
    You can get all kinds of info and maps there.

There are some trails from the top edge of the canyon down to the bottom where the big trout live, but they are steep and rough. Have good boots and take plenty of water. Oh, and watch out for rattlesnakes down there. Good luck and have fun!

32. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    two books worth checking out are Falcon Press's Hiking the Gila Wilderness and Hiking the Aldo Leopold Wilderness

it's been a few years now, but my wife and I had a wonderful 5 day trip in the Gila- the transitions from desert to high Ponderosa Pine forest were really neat- it was before the big fire and we ate fish for several meals

gila_dog likes this.