Feb 24th - New England Bushcraft Meetup/field day

Discussion in 'Events' started by MOGSTER, Feb 5, 2018.

1. MOGSTER

MOGSTER Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Cross posted in the CT and New England local boards.
    Some of us are planning an overnight camp on the 23-24 or 24-25th of February.
    Dar state forest, Goshen, MA.

Let us know if you'd like to join.
    1.5 mile snow shoe in. I'll be pulling gear on a pulk.
    Plan to do some open fire cooking and practise making a super shelter.
    Will pack in our 9 person hot tent, plenty of room if you want to join.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  2. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Id love to go .kinda new here. I have some new snow shoes i have been hopeing to try out. Its about a 2 hour ride for me . So this may be a dumb question but how do you know there will be snow ? Im in rhode island and we have none . Dar state forest is 2 hours north of me so do yall just have and or get more snow that us cause its further north?

alukban and MOGSTER like this.
  3. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Would love to go. Im fairly new to this especially winter camping. Myself and a friend went last month in R.I. The low was mabey 25 ish .Would it be possible for me to give you a list of gear i have and you could possibly tell me if im prepared properly. I would really love to go as I said b4 im new to the fourm but have already met some great people. It would be great to meet some in person. As I said its only 2 hours north of me so not too far.If there is anyone from Rhode Island who would like to go but do not have transportation they would be more than welcome to ridd with me.

MOGSTER likes this.
  4. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just wanted to add anyone from R.I. or anywhere near R.I. whom would like to go but does not have transportation id be happy to have the company on a 2 hour ride!

MOGSTER likes this.
  5. the_dude

the_dude Guide

Blog Posts:
    this is in my neck of the woods. bad time of year for me to sneak out for a day or two, though. sounds like a good time.

MOGSTER likes this.
  6. MOGSTER

MOGSTER Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @Knifeguy510

Would love to have you join.
    I wont know about snow levels until a few days before.
    Feel free to post you kit list for discussion or PM if that is preffered.

urazmusbdragn2 likes this.
  7. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    So my pack is by rei its called the traverse 70. Very similar to the osprey ather 70 just 100 dollars less! I have many tents 2 kelty backpacking tents a 1man and a 2 man. Also a army surplus bivy style tent. I dont think its mill spec it was cammo and i got it at the surplus store but it seems to be made of the same materials as any other tent. I have a Bush craft USA 5x7 mest tarp for added rain protection over my 1 or 2 man tents. As far as sleeping thats been my problem for cold weather i dont have any expensive fancy down bags and i sleep cold so i have to carry 12 pounds of blankets. I start with the black bag from the mss sleep system then i line it with my rei helio sac. Its my summer bag it said on the tag that it could also be used as a liner in colder conditions. I will then line the helio sac with a fleece sleeping bag i got from dicks. Then i always have my millitary olive drab wool blanket to throw over the whole deal if im really cold. On the ground i lay a old military closed cell foam pad down first then my big agnes insulated air cor sleeping pad . It inflates to about 3 inches and is rated for 15 degrees i think. Last time i went it was upper to mid 20's and i was warm but i could feel that the air matrees was cold. So mabey next time i will add another foam pad on top of the big agness as well as under it. I guess im a cold sleeper idk i usually sleep fine but when i awake im very very cold for about as long as it takes me to get dressed again. Other thank that i have a sven 21 inch buck saw the folding one. A fiskars hatchet. I have a few diffrent cooking pits idk wich i would bring. Also have a snow peak stove little folding one also a solo twig stove i never bring both im just going over my options. So the sleeping stuff gets heavy but if i had a sleed behind me i think it would be better. My snow shoes are cheap ones from job lot i dont see why they would not work on a short trip they came with poles. I have 2 choices for boots my favorite snow boots are by field and stream they arw water proof neopreen boots alot like muck boots except they are real tree cammo and slightly cheaper than mucks although not much. They have 1000 grams of thinsulate. Then i have the black micky mouse millitary surplus boots while i like the field and stream boots better they do not have that little lip or nub on the back to catch the snow shoe strap. So i dont know if they would work? . That is about all its a long post i know. But i see that yall are 2 and a half hours north of me so probly colder than me . It would most likley be my coldest trip so far. I was going to wait till next year to do a trip below 25 degrees as i was going to buy either a wiggys 0 degree or enlightened equip down bag. But id really lime to attend this trip. So after getting through this novel ive just written let me know what you think . If id be ok or i should wait.

MOGSTER likes this.
  8. MOGSTER

MOGSTER Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @Knifeguy510

You should absolutely come. Your gesr list is not too different than me. The hardest thing i find is deciding which outdoor philiosophy or sub-genre I want to apply on a trip. More primative bushcrafting folk will suggest using fir branches and leaf litter to make a descent 12 inch insulated bed, use a blanket and have a fire running all night. At the other end is a 900 fill down bag with a waterproof shell. On a recent trip i was outin -20F temperatures, 60+mph winds camping on snow with a foam mat amd a 3/4 length thermorest. I rented a -20 synthetic bag and was toasty warm.

Where i stuggle personally is merging the primative bushcraft with the mountaineering/backpacking. I would not wamt to have a fire near me if i was in a synthetic bag. And a high number of mats and thinner light weight sleeping bags layered will struggle to keep you warm.

For this trip, i want to use my tipi tent and run a fire inside. Hot tent camping. Tje inside should not get below 50f. So, blankets should work. But ill be bringing a sleeping bag as backup.

I will keep an eye on weather and will share more guidance before we go. Feel free to see pics of my recent trip oon instagram @GaiaExploration

9. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ok im go a say i will be there .I get layedboff every year on xmas eve we have our xmas party then we are on vacation we call it for about 2 and a half months . We go back then end of febuary or firat week of march no later. I recently texted my the owner and asked when we were lookin at returning to work . He said it depended on if he can nail down a varnish job on a large grand banks house boat. If he does it may be on the 25th if not he said march 5th. Im hoping march 5 now .

MOGSTER likes this.
  10. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I dont think he has looked at the calender cause the 25th is a sunday!

MOGSTER likes this.
  11. MOGSTER

MOGSTER Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Im heading up on Friday 23rd. Overnight friday night and if all is going well, overnight saturday too. Ill be deconstructing camp around 6am to zip back to Boston for a kids birthday party.

12. MOGSTER

MOGSTER Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I checked with some folk. Is not much snow and long-range forecast suggests it may not get much before tbe 24th. Should be an easy hike it.

13. FIELDCRAFTLTC

FIELDCRAFTLTC Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am interested and hopeful. I need to square it with the Commander in Chief.

Knifeguy510 and MOGSTER like this.
  14. MOGSTER

MOGSTER Tracker

Blog Posts:
  15. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Lookin good for me to be able to go. I should get my tax return on the 20th and im going back 2 work on the 26. Ive been laid off for 2 months. So this will be a nice end of winter vaca trip for me. I know you said there should not be much snowing going on. But will there be any on ground I know you said you pulling a pulk. I dont have a pulk but i have a small plastic sled and some rope. Would make it easyer for me to carry xtra blankets and such.

16. MOGSTER

MOGSTER Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @Knifeguy510 and any others:

If your going to join us for the meetup, do me a favor and sign up using the link below.

I need to tell the park staff how many folk in our group. I can then also email you and the rest of the guys the map and travel details like where to park and where to find us. This way, we have accurate head count.

There is no cost, im just using eventbrite to get the right headcount.

Thx all!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/winter-bushcraft-meetup-tickets-42009796432?aff=eand

17. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    So i tried to sign up on that link but it says sale ended.?

MOGSTER likes this.
  18. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I looked again do I just click the little flag thing when i do i changes colors then it says that its saved. Is that signed up? Sorry tech is not my thing.

MOGSTER likes this.
  19. MOGSTER

MOGSTER Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ill fix it when im at a computer. I must have put the wrong date on it when setting it up.

20. MOGSTER

MOGSTER Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @Knifeguy510 try the registration link now. Ill send a gear list and details to everyone on thursday morning.