1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Field Dress Half A Deer Using Stone Age Flint Tools with Will Lord

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools' started by GGTBod, Oct 9, 2017.

1. GGTBod

GGTBod BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    In this video Will Lord makes a flint blade with one hit with a hammer stone on a large flint nodule and then seconds later uses this to process half a muntjac deer for us to eat that evening, you will be amazed how sharp a first strike flint tool can be.

I sat amazed trying to carve whilst watching Will Lord as he field dresses / butchers the male muntjac deer using just a flint stone age first strike knife literally seconds after releasing the bladed edge from a huge nodule of flint rock.

This was shot whilst i attended the Primitive Carving Workshop ran by Will Lord and Scott Knight, it was a genuinely amazing experience and i can hardly wait for the next one in March which i have already booked a place on

I am in awe at just how sharp a flint knife can be, i have since learnt that this is because the sharp edge can literally be the thickness of a molecule, in other words this makes a high carbon steel cut throat razor fresh off the strop seem blunt in comparison.

If you can not handle seeing wild game being processed please do not watch this video.

2Scoops, Hoof, svh and 14 others like this.
  2. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Hardwoodsman #7 Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Pretty amazing. I was an archaeology/anthropology minor at university and we had a demonstration on flint tool making for one class period. It was fascinating and the presenter told us of a cardiac surgeon who was also a flint knapper who had a selection of blades made when he himself needed heart surgery. The blades were used in the surgery and were apparently so sharp they decreased the recovery time because the many cuts healed so quickly.

svh, DavidJAFO, rsnurkle and 6 others like this.
  3. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    A couple of points watching that I wanted to offer him a hand, especially hearing all the folks in the audio background and nobody offers to help. Maybe they were all squeamers but get in and help a guy. The flint knife was plenty of cutting edge from the looks of it.

svh, CivilizationDropout and GGTBod like this.
  4. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    The man in question my now good friend Will Lord was running the course that we had all paid to attend and all of the people chatting away are sitting around the roundhouse carving things he has taught us to carve, he was educating us and feeding us :4: in style, we all helped cook and eat it if that helps, well except the two vegetarians they were no help whatsoever :4:

this is what was going on elsewhere

DavidJAFO, rsnurkle, TWill and 2 others like this.
  5. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for filling in the gaps for me. I understood it was a worksop event but seeing the group it makes sense it was more a demo than a participatory exercise. Looked like a good event and lots of activity keeping everyone busy. All I could gather watching the video of the deer being cut was that there were people in the background not helping and that didn't seem like good tribal behavior to me. I lean toward offering help in spots like that and have cut up enough animals to know a bit of how much it can be like work.

GGTBod likes this.
  6. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    I agree there everyone should take part who is benefiting from it in the tribal mentality, especially the messy dirty jobs, personally i would have loved to been allowed to do the whole thing as a trial and error experiment with a flint blade as i have only every butchered 2 deer my whole life but both with high carbon steel blades, i have been educated by a pro how to skin and butcher, i literally went on a course to learn to professionally butcher wild game (i'm a city boy born n bred who grew up on video games and tv with no father or male role model so never learnt this stuff growing up, so i am always taking on real education to fill the gaps), would have been amazing to feel the difference between the steel and flint for the job, next time i will, next event is in March

Medicine maker likes this.
  7. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Scout

Blog Posts:
    A flint knife would be strong enough for the walking dead.

GGTBod likes this.
  8. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Tagged for later.

DavidJAFO and GGTBod like this.
  9. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    Maybe like a 10lb polished langdale green volcanic flint axe on a long handle or go for over kill skull crushing style if you are young and fit with a flint sledge hammer that you carved from block of ancient flint and then had a sapling grow through the eyehole for the perfect handle I might be getting a wee bit obsessed with flint tools

Medicine maker and DavidJAFO like this.
  10. x39

x39 Guide

Blog Posts:
    @GGTBod , just wondering whether the possibility of stone flakes spalling off the edge and getting in the meat has ever come up? Perhaps I'm overthinking or lack a good understanding of the properties of the material being used, but I'm a complete novice to this. Thanks.

GGTBod likes this.
  11. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    No worries mate i was coming from a very similar perspective before attending this workshop and I had very similar thoughts like when you grind meal with stone you get bits of stone in but it's not the same, the flint is very hard, we we're using the same flint to carve bone n bog oak and you're edge holds up really well even there, the meat offers no resistance, was like using a laser

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017 at 8:07 AM
    x39 likes this.
  12. x39

x39 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, yes seeing how well it holds up to wood and such is a good test of durability. A friend of mine is going to host an informal knapping workshop in the near future, should be interesting.

GGTBod likes this.
  13. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    My obsession is growing with every single thing i learn

x39 likes this.
  14. x39

x39 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Same here, and there's so much to learn. One skill seems to lead to another.

GGTBod likes this.
  15. GGTBod

Blog Posts:
    Truly does, the dominoes of self education and obsession :4:

x39 likes this.