1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Filson Double Mac, Does This Thing Fit Me?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by GTS9, Oct 8, 2017.

1. GTS9

GTS9 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Hi, I bought a size 40 Charcoal Filson Double Mac online and, well, it's big. I'm 6'2", long-ish arms, and bought a size up like they suggest for layering. In that pic (not very good, I know, I'll upload some more tomorrow), I have a pullover and a thin jacket under it and it is still very roomy. Weirdly, it's pit to pit length is the same as coats that appear to fit a lot better on me, but this thing just feels huge, and I'm afraid makes me look goofy. Or is this just the way an Alaska fit Filson D Mac is supposed fit?
    Let me know what you think. Also, if this is anyone else's size let me know, I might consider selling...

20171008_195502.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 3:00 AM
    Broke and isme like this.
  2. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Looks very short in the arms and also in the body length
    I have a similar problem, wide shoulder long arms but not really much chest compared to my shoulder width

isme likes this.
  3. Hook

Hook Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think it looks fine, but according to my wife, I have no fashion sense.

isme likes this.
  4. huntinguy

huntinguy Scout

Blog Posts:
    If I remember correctly.
    Alaska fit is a little roomy so you can layer.
    Seattle fit... well, let's just say it is for city folks.

Broke and isme like this.
  5. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks quite nice on you. I wouldn't change a thing. If you wear a coat that's too snug, it won't hold in the body heat to keep you warm.

Steve

isme likes this.
  6. pfluggy

pfluggy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Looks good you would regret getting rid of it got one last year at outlet store couldn’t pass up the price glad I didn’t also roomier coat will all sol Bellow out excess heat and not let you overheat. Only problem I have is it is a super warm coat. The more you wear it the better it feels sort of like breaking in boots keep it for 2 winters then see how you like. You will have no trouble selling it

isme likes this.
  7. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Hardwoodsman #7 Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    To my eye it doesn't look large or goofy. I bought a Barbour coat a few years ago and went through the same process of wondering about the fit. I eventually had it tailored a bit by our local dry cleaners, who did a fantastic job.

I think it takes a bit of getting use to the way things fit sometimes and not being so self-conscious.

Broke, isme and Gii shi kan dug like this.
  8. GTS9

GTS9 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    20171009_094309.jpg 20171009_094329.jpg 20171009_094356.jpg 20171009_094529.jpg 20171009_094544.jpg

Attached Files:

Broke, Tangotag and isme like this.
  9. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'd keep it and leave it as is. It doesn't look that bad.

The D Mac is a bulky coat in gerneral. The wool is thick and there is a double layer of it over half the coat. The Alaska Fit is supposed to be big to allow for bulky sweaters, etc.

Here is one thing to consider: you might need that room in the future. You look like a younger guy and those Filson coats are meant to last a lifetime. In 10 or 20 years, you might find that your body changed and it won't be loose.

10. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    From your first pic, I though it looked pretty good aside from a tad short I’m the sleeve length. But from the side I can see what you mean - looks quite big, beyond what I’d say is just room for layering.

If I’m being honest, the sizing is one of the reasons I’m not a big Filson/Pendleton/LL Bean fan. I’ve tried stuff from all, and often (though not always) been unhappy with the fit. Same issue, wide in the shoulders, chest & “belly”, short in the sleeves. Don’t know why, but I absolutely hate if I bend my arms in a coat and the cuff ends up getting pulled half way between my elbow and wrist. I’d rather a longer sleeve and just roll the cuff once if need for shorter sleeve in a given situation.

But I’ve been told by my wife that I’m picky with clothing. Dunno. Guess it’s one of my many foibles.

That is a nice coat though.

x39 and Lichen like this.
  11. bobs1415

bobs1415 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You don't want it to fit like an Italian suit. Your photos look like it is a reasonable fit on you.

mongo likes this.
  12. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks good to me.

13. Sandcut

Sandcut 3% Neanderthal Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I disagree with everyone here. That coat is too big in the body for you. Especially is you have another jacket underneath.

@PMS is right in that you don't want it to be too tight. But too loose and the airmass surrounding you is too large to heat adequately. I've had a Johnson and a Woolrich coat with the same problem and I got rid of both of them because there was too much of a draft to keep warm.

It's a nice coat, but I think you'll be disappointed in it. Save your money and get one that fits properly.

I would love to have a Filson Cruiser jacket, but I have a good sized chest and shoulders and these little T. rex arms, so the cuffs would need to be altered a good 4"+ to make them fit right. Filson doesn't do custom tailoring any longer or I'd go that route.

HeadyBrew and Lichen like this.
  14. RobbieinME

RobbieinME Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I never thought about asking people on the internet if something fits. Learn something new everyday.

Broke likes this.
  15. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    At 6'2" with long arms you want the Filson Longs. Maybe try on a 38 Long if you can. Filsons do shrink over time in my experience.

mongo likes this.
  16. x39

x39 Guide

Blog Posts:
    It seems to me the assumption on the part of clothing manufacturers is that if you have a 45" chest you have a 54" gut to go with it. They refer to that as a "traditional fit"... :rolleyes:

Broke and HeadyBrew like this.
  17. aaronh33

aaronh33 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Im looking at the pictures and wondering if the coat might be to big since you said you have a coat on underneath already. But you are kinda like me, Im not really sure exactly how it is supposed to fit. I dont know what it is but I find I need like a medium and a half or something because a medium is to small but then the large I find I have to wear a sweater under it just to fill it up to fit right.

18. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The second set of pics looks like me wearing my 2X-3X coats before I lost 95 pounds. Smaller size would be my choice to reduce the excess air gap. Send Filson customer service the second set of pics in an email. They are an awesome company and should be able to assist you.

19. J Stephens

J Stephens Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Kelly W and Sandcut like this.
  20. pfluggy

pfluggy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Rember one thing the people in ads are models. Like tv shows not reality. They find some one that looks good in there product
    I like what some one said about calling Customer service Phils and is something you will have for a lifetime and you will grow into it if it feels a little big. But what it comes down to is how you feel about it

21. J Stephens

J Stephens Tracker

Blog Posts:
    pfluggy, that is a fairly ignorant thing to say.

The fit and the model have nothing to do with each other, other than clothes being tailored to the model (not a model found to fit the clothes).

In my entire wardrobe, aside from socks, shoes, underwear and t-shirts, ALL of my clothes are tailored. For instance, I will buy a pair of Levis jeans as close to my fit as possible then take them directly (tags still on) to the tailor for final adjustment—hemming, tapering. ALL of my off the rack shirts, I don't care if the shirt is from Target, go directly to the tailor for proper fitting. When I owned my Fjallraven barent pants, not only did I have them hemmed, but also tapered.

That double Mack Gts9 has is a gawd awful fit, period. It is not even worth trying to get it tailored. He needs to start with something closer to his size and then take it to a tailor for further adjustment.

22. pfluggy

pfluggy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My point exactly. Have never heard or in my wildest dreams thought of buying Levi’s and taking them to a Taylor?I agree the Coatlooks a little big but add 30 years to this young man and he’ll fit perfectly it will be well broke and then add a few rainstorms a few washings it’ll fit. Just thinking that far down the road it is a coat for life and pass on to your kids

23. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    size

I wear the same size clothes that I wore when I graduated high school in 1986. What happens if he's like me and doesn't gain 40 lbs.?

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  24. Grizzly Dave

Grizzly Dave Scout

Blog Posts:
    That coat will last you the rest of your life.
    You may have a 30 inch waist now but after 40 you may have a 40 or 50 inch waist.
    Once you get to the point where you can't get it done up a replacement may be $1000.00 instead of $300.00.
    Get the Filson waistcoat too and except when it's way below zero you'll be fairly toasty.

25. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Grizzly nobody should put on that much extra weight around the gut.It isn't normal or good for your bushcrafting health
    I feel ashamed that I've increased my waist size by 4 inches since I turned 35 and that would be 6 inches from age 18 and I'm trying hard to loose at least 4 of those

Ith likes this.
  26. J Stephens

J Stephens Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The idea is he wants to wear and look good in a coat he buys today. It is absolutely foolish to buy it based on the idea in 30 years he "might" fill it in. How about this idea. Buy something that looks and wears well today and in 30 years sell it if you've outgrown it and buy something with a better fit.

And also why would anyone assume he's going to fill it in as he ages. I've weighed damn near the same for almost 30 years.

Coming here for sartorial advice is like going to a style forum for bushcraft advice

Ith and Sandcut like this.
  27. Sandcut

Blog Posts:

So far, in the last two days I've read the words sartorial and impuissant used on this forum. Pretty soon I'ma gonna be ejicated. :)

Broke, Harper and Kelly W like this.
  28. mongo

mongo Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought mine a little oversized.... now, it's almost thinking about being too small. I hate to tell you.... as you get older, you don't exactly get smaller. Having said that.... my double Mac is my favorite winter coat. Trouble is.... I have to wait til it gets cold enough to wear it!

29. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017 at 1:28 AM