Filson "you might as well have the best!"

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by mtwarden, Feb 28, 2019.

1. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was lucky as a game warden as we were issued numerous Filson garments- mackinaw wool vest, mackinaw wool pants, an oiled cloth jacket w/ liner- all good, no great stuff!

I currently own a pair of their whipcord pants, probably the most versatile pants I've ever owned- have worn them from 50 above to 30 below- just adjusting the base layer underneath. The tight weave repels both moisture and wind, yet breathe very well- mine are close to 30 years old and still look great.

I recently picked one of their wool shirt-jacs, retail was $250- found one (new) for a $100 and snagged it- it's really nice, 17 oz wool is warm without being too warm. Like all Filson garments, the fit & finish is immaculate.

They made a whipcord jacket that is now discontinued, I'm keeping my eye out for a used one :). They also make a nice looking heavy weight sweater w/ a zip, keeping an eye peeled for a good deal on that one too.

What do you own? What do you want?

SmilinJoe, Broke, x39 and 19 others like this.
  2. Back50

Back50 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I recently bought a Filson Mackinaw wool vest and love it. It is the nicest(and most expensive) piece of clothing I own.

3. Portage_Monster

Portage_Monster Experiencing Wanderlust Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It seems they discontinued the whipcord pants. I was pretty bummed out to see that. I don't own any Filson, clothes, but I hold them in high regard.

Broke and mtwarden like this.
  4. WesinND

WesinND Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a double Mackinaw cruiser and a couple vests. I get a lot lot of use out of them here. The vests are one of my favorite pieces of kit I wear them to work a lot. The coat is heavy but warm.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 9:07 AM
    Broke, bosque bob, hdbeav and 2 others like this.
  5. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I too love Filson. As I have gotten older, I now buy things I "hope" will last me for the rest of my life, both in quality and style. As such I have turned to Filson a lot. I have several shirts, just got two Packer hats yesterday, a Mc vest for Christmas. I want to add a tin Cloth Jacket to my stable but I just got a nice Tom Beckbe jacket so....

Broke, Red Ochre, hdbeav and 2 others like this.
  6. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    definitely spendy, but with a little perseverance you can find stuff on pretty good sales; most of it is so bombproof too that buying used isn't that much of a gamble

the whipcord pants seem to go discontinued, then reappear, then go discontinued again- not sure why????- eBay usually has a few when they are discontinued

Broke, Portage_Monster and GreenFrog like this.
  7. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a single mackinaw and double Mackinaw coats. The single mackinaw is about 30 years old and has holes in the elbows and frayed sleeves. I still wear it when working with firewood or similar. It actually still looks good until you get close. I have a tin packer hat. I have a green hat with flaps that is discontinued. I haven't bought anything from Filson in a while. Oh yeah I've had about 6 cruiser vests that I would get holes in eventually carrying tree paint.

Broke, riverjoe, hdbeav and 3 others like this.
  8. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    ^ was the hat the one with thick shearling? I had that as a duty hat- crazy warm hat!

Broke and RavenLoon like this.
  9. RavenLoon

Blog Posts:
    No it has a bill in the front with a nylon? lining similar to a ball cap but flatter on top and the fold down ear flaps inside. I have a friend that has a shearling lined one, he wears it all winter.

Broke and mtwarden like this.
  10. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    ahhh- not familiar with that one; yeah the one I'm talking about is evidently the double mackinaw hat- looks like it's still made :)

Broke and RavenLoon like this.
  11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog In the Forest Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    I have a mackinaw jacket and vest that are top notch. I picked up whipcord pants last time you mentioned them and they are top gear for sure but I end up going for pants with more pockets and leave them home. The whipcords get the most use from me as really nice winter work wear. Also, I have a wool button down shirt that you cant wrinkle or get to smell if you tried. Having that gear really makes winter enjoyable.

I check Sierra Trading from time to time for deals.
    https://www.sierra.com/s~filson/

Broke, hdbeav, RavenLoon and 2 others like this.
  12. Brook Trout

Brook Trout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Filson Fan--big time!

Here's the stuff I can think of off the top of my head:
    1. Tin Coat (can't recall specific model)
    2. Upland hunting coat (green waxed cotton with orange shoulders)
    3. Duck hunting tin cloth coat (camo)
    4. Upland hunting boots (leather/canvas)
    5. Tin Cloth Packer Hats (traditional color and green)
    6. Tin Cloth Wildfowl hat (wool insulated)
    7. Suspenders
    8. Tin Cloth Down Jacket
    9. Wool Vest
    10. Tight weave barn coat (not waxed)

Seldom buy the stuff at full retail, but am constantly on the look out for deals on Filson stuff. I've been wearing some of the stuff I have for 25+ years, and it's just getting broken in. Lifelong, bombproof gear--absolutely love it!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Broke, wsdstan, hdbeav and 2 others like this.
  13. Spinymouse

Spinymouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    Jac-Shirt
    Single Mackinaw Cruiser
    Three Northwest wool shirts
    Thick cotton work shirt made on same pattern as the Northwest wool ones
    Tin cloth Packer hat
    Two Mackinaw vests (wearing one right now)
    A few of their merino undershirts

I've been accumulating Filson clothes for about 20 years, virtually all of it on sale.

I hope to find a pair of whipcord pants in my size the next time they do a production run.

14. RavenLoon

Blog Posts:
    I forgot probably my favorite are the tin pants. I have single and double tin oil and dry finished. I like the double tin dry finish the best, unfortunately Filson discontinued those.

15. 19112TAP

19112TAP Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Filson tin cloth packer with wool liner and a couple wool vest, would like to pick up a tin cloth vest and maybe a wool coat in the future.

16. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Cruiser jacket in gray wool. Will hopefully get more use out of it here in MD than I did in LA.

Broke, hdbeav, mtwarden and 1 other person like this.
  17. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Had a Double Mackinaw Cruiser in forest green. Warm, very windproof because of the thickness and tight weave, laughed at snow. Heavy though, but in a comforting way. :)

Got it in college when I was a forestry major. It was the right coat at the right time. :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  18. Spinymouse

Spinymouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I was a teenager I used to scoff at people who were into such superficial stuff as clothes. Now, here I am, decades later, with more Filson clothes than I can wear out in my lifetime. I also have more wool milsurp than I can possibly use. And the clothing section of the forum is one of the first I look at when I get on.

It's a good thing I can laugh at myself over the irony. My wife has known me since we were teens and she sure finds my interest in Filson plenty amusing.

Broke, wsdstan, hdbeav and 2 others like this.
  19. Riverpirate

Blog Posts:
    I thought I was the only one that went to the clothes forum first. Can’t believe I even admitted that.

Broke, Brook Trout, Red Ochre and 3 others like this.
  20. hdbeav

hdbeav Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lucky dog to be issued Filson gear!

I've got a tin packer coat with wool vest liner that's 20 years old. I sent it to Filson once and they patched/repaired holes worn in the sleeves.

Also have a mackinaw wool vest, tin cloth vest, a packer hat and a med twill duffle bag.
    The quality of their products is amazing but the current prices, whew!

I did have the good fortune to find their Alaskan flannel shirt in my size at goodwill.......4 dollars and 29 cents. That was a good day.

Broke, Brook Trout and mtwarden like this.
  21. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    true that :) would have been luckier yet if they let me keep it all :D

22. winterlover

winterlover Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Their whipcord stuff is awesome, I was lucky to find one of the jackets brand new on ebay, and i hope to find some pants as well. I'd love to have a wool anorak made of that whipcord, if they sold it by the yard I'd buy some.

23. Hawkcreek

Hawkcreek Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I too am a big Filson fan. I don't have a lot but what I do have has been great.
    Mackinaw pants
    Double Tin pants
    and a nice wool vest

Both pairs of pants were taken to a tailor to be hemmed and have knee high zippers installed on the calf, much easier to put boots on now. Tin cloth is great in the winter, next purchase will be a Packer Coat with a liner.

I noticed they were back as of last year. Numerous places online has them listed for sale.

Broke, Brook Trout, Red Ochre and 3 others like this.
  24. wsdstan

wsdstan Guide

Blog Posts:
    I liked Filson quite a bit until they started drifting into the Seattle fit style which kind of is "citified" a bit too much for me. Tight outdoor jackets are dumb in my opinion.

I still have too much stuff. It doesn't wear out very fast so if you don't get to fat as you get older you accumulate a lot of it. One good thing about Filson stuff is you can sell it. People will buy a tin cloth coat that is twenty years old. Try that with most other brands and you won't get much for it. Still in my closet is a tin cloth packer coat with a wool liner, a waterfowler jacket, a single mackinaw, a tin cloth vest, wool vest, moleskin vest, and a belt. All good stuff that has held up a long time and through some rough use.

Broke, Brook Trout, ExAF1N1 and 2 others like this.
  25. plantedtao

plantedtao Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have one piece of Filson gear. Should last until I retire and then some. My wife gave it to me :)
    26C56CD3-258F-4CD3-8081-45E950D9663D.jpeg

My wife worked on the recent renovations of the Maritime building. The Maritime was built in 1911 and is one of the last heavy timber post and beam buildings left on the waterfront. Filson has been in Seattle since 1897 and had a store in this building early on.

I would like to get a wool shirt jacket at some point.

26. mtwarden

Blog Posts:

I found one on some clothing site- had a zip front that came down about halfway and a pocket in the lower center, I sent a message to the seller (never returned) and then it wasn't listed anymore

I should have taken a screen shot of it, I have never seen that item ever before- I did ask for a pic of the filson tag in my email, so it's possible it was made by someone else- regardless it was a nice looking piece :)

Broke likes this.
  27. bosque bob

bosque bob Guide

Blog Posts:
    2 fison wool vests and a double mackinaw wool coat. Wear the vests a lot and live in the coat all winter.

Some whipcord pants would be nice.

28. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    I almost forgot, but I also have a pair of Shelter Cloth pants that I used a ton for bird hunting (don't bird hunt nearly as much as I used to)- not as thick as the tin pants, but definitely breathe better and still plenty tough

Broke and wsdstan like this.
  29. Riverpirate

Blog Posts:
    I could not take it anymore...ordered a Filson Tin Cloth Vest today.

Broke, Brook Trout, Back50 and 4 others like this.
  30. louied

louied Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have the timber camo liner vest that is awesome,plus a filson canvas fishing vest that has been used and abused for 25 years and still going strong.

31. mtwarden

Blog Posts:
    that is a darn nice vest :)

Broke likes this.
  32. dmangler

dmangler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a few Filson things, some has been good, some hasn't. Their stuff they outsource isnt any better than most name brands. I would love to get a pair of their whipcord pants, but cant justify the price.

Portage_Monster, Broke and mtwarden like this.
  33. RavenLoon

Blog Posts:
    One more item I forgot to add is the original hunting vest. I think of it more as gear and not so much clothing. I use in the fall instead of a pack. I've had it for many years. Well made with many large pockets. Wool lined at the shoulder. I carry a small cook kit, first aid, poncho, hatchet, compass etc. It distributes the weight really well. Not great pictures of the vest and double tin pants.
    DSC00868.JPG DSC00882.JPG

34. blacksprucy

blacksprucy Tracker

Blog Posts:
  35. Leatherneck

Leatherneck Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a Double Mac, Single Mac, Mackinaw vest, Mackinaw pants and suspenders and USA made merino waterfowl sweater. The only piece I'd be interested in now would be the whipcord pants and maybe their wool jac-shirt, but man have they gotten expensive!!!!!!!!! Weren't these made for the working man at one point in time? I lucked out back before they changed management when they actually had decent online sales for their traditional wool. I would recommend the Mackinaw vest to anyone for their first piece. It's so versatile. I'd then recommend the Single Mac. I find that the Double Mac is not very versatile and too heavy and bulky for the warmth you get. A chunky wool sweater with a windbreak would likely be much warmer and lighter. Surprisingly, cold wind will eventually seep through even the double mac. The quality of the wool is fantastic, but the fit can be a bit off.

36. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've got tin pants,
    Tin jacket and liner
    Socks
    Boots
    Double mackinaw cruiser
    Mackinaw wool bibs
    Hats
    Suspenders
    Gloves
    Luggage
    Many other I forget about.

Filson was pretty decent until around 2000. They've gone downhill quite a bit and the reality is they are mostly importing and having sewing done out of house.

Personally, I'm saving up and going to purchase some Weatherwool garments. They are stupid expensive but it's said that they have unconditional satisfaction guarantee to the purchaser, and the owner of the company publically states to call him 24hr day any time if you have a question or problem about their product.

It sounds like they are serious and committed about the product line.

I use to love Filson but I'm also willing to let the "other" guy have a opportunity and see what he brings. I kind of see Weatherwool as what C.C.Filson used to be back in the day. After all, might as well have the best.

Broke, hdbeav, RavenLoon and 3 others like this.
  37. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Filson is too spendy for me. I only own one piece - a tin cloth medium brim hat, which I just washed and re-treated after 5 years.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  38. clueless on the delaware

clueless on the delaware Scout

Blog Posts:
    My hunting coat for mid to late season is a Double Mac. 20 years old and not even broken in yet. Used to have yhe coveted whipchord pants but standing too close to close to a too hot fire ruined them. Damn shame, they fit like a glove and comfortable. Nice enough for going out and tough enough for going afield.

39. Red Ochre

Red Ochre Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Double tin pants.
    Double logger coat.
    A couple tin cloth hats.
    A vintage union made Mackinaw cruiser in blue/black plaid.
    And a Mackinaw vest I got from VanGo.

Awesome stuff!

40. Black Raven

Black Raven Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought my first Filson as a teenager, working on a survey crew. At that time, their catalog consisted of a tiny booklet (maybe 3x5) of about 25 pages with line drawings instead of photos. About 50 years later, I have managed to accumulate quite a bit of Filson, since I worked in the field nearly every day with the Forest Service for most of my time there. Unless noted, I still have most of this, and 3/4 of it still regularly used.

Forestry Cloth Cruiser (wool serge). Vintage from ebay, my favorite coat for milder cold.
    Forestry Cloth pants (wool serge). Best wool pants I have ever had....lost in a move, I think.
    Double Mac Cruiser (pretty much never used)
    Single Mac Cruiser x 2 (one well used, one spare for future)
    Wool Cape Jacket x 2 (1 given away to friend). My second favorite coat.
    Wool Single (cape front only) Wool Jacket
    Wool Jac Shirt (thanks, BCUSA!)
    Tin Double Logger Coat (still carry it every day in the truck)
    Tin Pants (Double) x 3 (2 worn out)
    Cotton lightweight Poplin Cruiser Jacket x 2 (1 worn out)
    Shelter Cloth Rain coat (similar to the British Barbour jackets)
    Heavyweight wool socks (about 2 dozen, bought on closeout for about 75% off from a local dealer....bought all he had in maybe 1991-92.....these just won't wear out!)
    Medium weight wool socks (x about half dozen...still in the package, waiting for the heavyweights to wear out)
    Tin Cruiser vest (maybe 5-6.... all but the last one worn out).... But why so many....Hey....we didn't have HPG then! But that's what I use now.
    Poplin Cruiser vest x 2 (one worn out)
    Tin Hunting Vest (nice, but seldom used)
    Mackinaw Wool vest (x 2, one given away to friend). Everyone should own one of these.
    Moleskin vest (also given away)
    Packer Hat, Tin (x 2)
    Packer Hat, Shelter Cloth
    Waterfowl Hat (wool lined, ear flaps, shelter cloth)
    Ball caps (typically shelter cloth or poplin...maybe 5-6)
    Tin briefcase
    Suspenders (maybe 3-4 still have one), Belts (2-3, still have one). Their leather is nice.
    A pair of fingerless wool gloves (ok for driving and very soft...but hardly robust enough for real work)

I'm sure there is probably more, but this most of it.

I don't think I would recommend buying some their stuff new anymore unless you can really afford it or have occasion to treat yourself. Around here, it is not unusual to find their wool in thrift or antique malls, often pretty good shape and for reasonable. Have bought a few nice wool items that way. And I have gotten a couple of decent pieces from ebay, despite the risk.

I don't think that the quality that was available to me in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's is quite there anymore, at least not consistently and certainly not across the entire product line. And it hasn't been in the last decade or so. While it hasn't dropped a lot in their traditional line, it has dropped enough. Enough to notice, at least here and there. That's why I prefer going used anymore. The "diversification" of their product line frankly makes me sad, but maybe that's what they need to do to stay solvent.

While always priced fairly high, the quality of their traditional product line justified the expense, at least in the judgment of many of us who worked in the field. Even though most of us earned relatively modest pay, we willing to pony up for what we recognized as value. Lesser quality is of less value, unless you value misery over comfort. The older men definitely knew that, and I learned right way to pay attention to the good men that were willing to mentor me. When exposed to the elements all day, all seasons, spiked out for weeks, even the best is barely good enough.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Broke, hdbeav, mtwarden and 2 others like this.
  41. Brook Trout

Blog Posts:
    Is that, by any chance, a Parker?

Broke, mtwarden and RavenLoon like this.
  42. RavenLoon

Blog Posts:
    That is an A. H. Fox A grade 12 gauge made in 1932 I bought used about 30 years ago. 28 inch barrels Mod. and IC choked. I added the leather butt pad to increase the LOP so it fits me. It's been my grouse and woodcock gun since I bought it. A grade is the lowest grade just above the Sterlingworth. They go up B,C on up to F which would be worth more than my house. Mostly it's the amount of engraving and nicer wood the higher you go. The A grade I think was about $600 when I bought it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  43. Brook Trout

Blog Posts:
    Love those old doubles. I have a Parker that was passed down to me from my Grandfather that is a similar vintage. Classic doubles and Filson—doesn’t get much better than that!

44. actiondiver

actiondiver Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have an really appreciate:

Tin Cloth Hunter Vest
    Wool beenie
    Wool fingerless gloves x2
    Wool coat (forgot model)
    Wool guide sweater

Great stuff

45. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    +1 for those whipcord pants. Those are so tightly woven they saved me from a hornet attack while surveying a stand for a timber sale. I stepped on a ground nest without realized it and stood there to place a point in the gps unit. I felt a sharp pain and looked down at my legs to discover them being covered in yellow up to my mid thigh. I hollered a few obscenities and ran off. I easily had the whole nest on my pants, but only 4 stings.

Filson makes the winter uniform (the pants and jacket anyway) for the Forest Service. I own two mackinaw pants and the cruiser jacket. Great items I wear throughout winter.

I have also purchased the western vest and love it a lot for a mid layer. The twin lakes sports shirts are my favorite in summer for outdoor use. Long sleeve protection but breath extremely well.

I would still love to purchase the wool packer hat, dry shelter cloth pants, and the northwest wool shirt.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  46. mongo

mongo Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have quite a bit of Filson stuff:
    Double Mac. Only sees use when it gets really cold out, i.e. teens on down.
    Shelter cloth work coat. It's unlined, doesn't see a whole lot of use, but still break it out now an then. Breaks the wind real good.
    Two wool vests. Finally dieted my way down to being able to wear them again. I love them, perhaps the most versatile piece of clothing I own, period.
    One dry tin cloth vest. will see more use now that I lost weight.
    One pair of boots. at least 20 years old and going strong. Get Obenauf LP'd at least once a year.
    At least a dozen hats of varying styles. All see use in varying rotation.
    Two pairs of the socks. The ONLY Filson product that I didn't like. the ankle holes must have been made for Olive Oyl, they are that skinny.
    Almost forgot.... Upland hunting vest. Serious quality product.
    Three Filson bags: standard briefcase, shell bag and forgot the name... but it is a duffle type with a separate bottom compartment to separate wet and dry stuff. My mainstay piece of luggage.
    I think that's it. Of course, I always want more.... but, real life finances intrude. I have always wanted a pair of the Whipcord pants. One day.

Broke, mtwarden and RavenLoon like this.
  47. jonathan creason

jonathan creason Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 pairs of Tin Cloth pants that I rarely wear. They're tougher than woodpecker lips, but holy cow they're like wearing oak slats.

Broke, RavenLoon and mtwarden like this.
  48. wandering.hobo

wandering.hobo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Recently discovered a Filson store in Toronto. MUST STAY AWAY!

Mackinaw Cruiser
    Tin Cloth Cruiser
    Double Tin Cloth Pants
    2 Tin Cloth Packer Hats
    2 Mackinaw Vests
    Soon to come Tin Cloth Vest

49. Back50

Back50 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If that was a one day purchase bet they gave the employees the rest of the day off.........

Portage_Monster, Broke and mtwarden like this.
  50. wandering.hobo

wandering.hobo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thankfully not all in one day.

Broke, mtwarden and Back50 like this.