Final Hot Tent Thread

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by CharClothed, Oct 7, 2016.

1. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    All other info about the tent I'm making will be put here. There's nothing else I have questions on and if I do, it will be in the threads I already made. But this is going to be updated throughout the process of making the tent. Picture heavy. For those who are unsure what I'm doing, this picture will show what I'm looking to make. I am however debating on what type of door I should have go with. Feel free to give suggestions. Below is the tent I am making, most likely without the awning.
    [​IMG]

2. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    So here's the first bit. I got the fabric I am using to replace the green USGI roof shelter. This was going to be bigger but I don't have enough fabric.
    This is all the fabric rolled out with the shelter half's on it. Had to make sure I had enough fabric.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the first half.
    [​IMG]
    The second half
    [​IMG]
    And the remaining 57" of extra fabric. Not counting all the triangle pieces that will be used for extra fabric too.
    [​IMG]
    And here's the final picture for now of what the fabric looks like with the sun behind it. Haven't washed it yet to tighten the threads.
    [​IMG]

3. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    So to start this second bit off, I've got a photo taken of a area near where I got my poles. Thought it was nice.
    [​IMG]
    Here are the poles I picked out for this. I'll cut them to size once the tent is made and ready to be put up. Was a hike getting them home.
    [​IMG]
    Here we have the green material I have for the walls. It's doubled up right now because the wind was to strong to take a photo with it down on the ground completely unfolded. So it's wider than this.
    [​IMG]
    Here's just one of the poles. The closest of the two in the above photo. They both have the bark off and will be made prettier after the tent is done.
    [​IMG]
    Here is just one of the four buckles I want to use to keep the tent door closed. Whenever I figure out how I want to have my door, I will set these buckles up with it.
    [​IMG]

Next step is to wash the red fabric and tighten it, get a lot of the needles I need for this, and the thread, before I can cut the cloth to size and sew everything.

4. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've decided that the door will be one of the corner pieces. It will be allowed to be opened and closed freely and only left closed when looped through via stakes and the buckles. Also I will be using one of these seams to sew it. I'm thinking the French Full, so that it's extra strong.
    [​IMG]

5. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here's a couple more pictures I have for you. The plan is to have the tent done by the end of the month UNLESS we need more thread.
    I've decided to make the door work like this, where one side just opens. It's the way that works the most for me.
    [​IMG]
    This is the tent's current reinforcements. Because I'm not using this tent, I'm going to make my own reinforcements.
    [​IMG]
    Another bad MS Paint Drawing. I'm going to make the reinforcements like this all one piece of fabric but where that white circle is is meant to show that it's a guy out spot. It won't be a circle, but instead will be a loop. This way I can choose to use the pole inside the tent or two outside to create more room.
    [​IMG]
    I'm not going to waterproof the tent this year I think. I won't be able to afford it in time. Fireproofing will be more important and I'm only getting a gallon of that so not even that will be done properly. Instead of waterproofing it, I'll cut a hole in the top of this tarp which I poorly set up in order to take this picture. It show's both sides to allow for you to see the size of it. The hole is so the stove pipe can fit out of.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's plenty big enough. The fabric at the bottom of the picture is there so I can tape it off to be cut on Monday.

actichy, EvanStinson, Haggis and 3 others like this.
  6. camp casey

camp casey Scout

Blog Posts:
    Shouldn't take much to heat it, good job.

7. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Following along with interest.

8. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Following as well. I am planning on a slightly different method to the same end goal. My two halves are still in new-unused condition, so I'll be adding a skit to the base. Still trying to figure out the door situation as well.

9. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    The awning would work but that's a lot of open space I don't like. I was able to figure it out after setting the two halves up together and playing with ways of opening it. And did you mean you're adding a skirt? I plan on doing that but I really want a wall because I want to walk in here.

WhisperInThePine likes this.
  10. WhisperInThePine

Blog Posts:
    The skirt is in regards to the wall, the skirting being the attached strip which will be the wall. I am considering an up-ended "J" shaped zipper, which starts up top at the left corner of the rectangular side panel, the curve extending about 1/4 of the way across the side, from where it drops vertically straight down.

I hope that's clear enough. A simple inverted "L"-shape zipper would probably be easier to sew in, but would require sewing in two separate zipper pieces.

11. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm very interested in seeing what you're thinking when you make it. For the time being what I'm doing works.

12. WhisperInThePine

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely. They were designed to open at the end and there's no reason that shouldn't work. I'll probably keep it that way at first just to make sure everything else works first. ;)

13. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    Some updated photo's. Just all taken so I can see how sleeping and stove works as well as the tarp. First photo is of how I will have the door.
    [​IMG]
    Second photo is where I want the stove compared to where I am sleeping. Either there or near the center of the tent.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a photo of the sun directly behind the canvas of the shelter to show the weave. I feel better now about my weave on my canvas.
    [​IMG]
    So this is the tarp better positioned on the tent. This is the front side which I didn't bother pinning down because I would be doing so with a rope to make a awning of sorts.
    [​IMG]
    Final photo is just the tarp on the back of the shelter, showing the coverage.
    [​IMG]

WhisperInThePine and rsnurkle like this.
  14. WhisperInThePine

Blog Posts:
    Wow, you're weave is very loose!

15. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    For the red fabric or this fabric?

16. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here we have both piece's cut. One's not cut as good as the other on the point, but we will figure something out.
    [​IMG]

frog4334 likes this.
  17. WhisperInThePine

Blog Posts:
    The original tent fabric.

18. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    A little update. Went to sew the tent together today only to find that the sewing machine doesn't work. So we are hoping to get one from Walmart today for $100.00 and maybe that'll work. Hoping it doesn't break after we use it.

19. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    I haven't been on the forum in a while but I thought I would give a little update. The tent is coming along, the roof is done and the walls are attached, just gotta do some more work on the walls. The accessories like the buckles and tie outs will be sewed on soon too. A few other accessories as well. The poles are all done (just took the bark off them). The stove jack material came and a hole will be cut out to fit that as well as a hole to fit the pipe. The stove is at a stand still currently.

With the way my budget is going right now, chances are that the stove pipe fitting, first fire up, and everything will be done on the winter trip. I can put a fire in the stove now, but I can only do that without the pipe in it so I don't know how effective it will be. I will add pictures of it up and everything once it's done. It will be a awkward setting up of the tent, because we didn't measure really well, but that's fine for me. It offers a warm shelter in the winter. I don't care if it's not completely straight.

20. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know the photo's are horrible because the tent isn't finished and put up yet, but here are a couple photo's. The tent sewed together in the first part then the walls added in the second. Just gotta finish with the walls, add the tie outs, and it can be set up. The first photo, it's sewed on the side without tape. The second picture, the green is the walls and the red is the roof.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Judge and camp casey like this.
  21. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    The hope is that I will test it this coming week. It'll be with a Mr Heater instead of a stove this time.

22. CharClothed

CharClothed Scout

Blog Posts:
    IT'S FINISHED!!! Pictures will be put in a different thread tomorrow.