Finally found a combo I love!

Discussion in 'Sleep Systems' started by Midwest.Bushlore, Aug 9, 2018 at 4:05 AM.

1. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have to say that after a lot of searching I finally found a very promising sleep system! A few months ago I bought a light weight cot, the Petrous Light Beam Low Cot, from Amazon. Last night I finally got the chance to use it and was very happy! I met up with a fellow BCUSA'er just outside of Wallace, ID and he showed me a great spot up in the mountains. Despite my being much later than I'd planned and actually hitting the area after sunset we still managed to get camp set up pretty quickly. I had my trusty ol' Eureka tent that's been on every outing over the last eight years or so and luckily it's pretty easy to pitch, even alone and in the dark. Since it's been super dry lately I didn't bother to pitch the rain fly nor even stake it out.

The Petrous cot ended up being fairly simple to assemble, sans directions. Simple but not necessarily easy! It took a bit of muscle to get the stays in but once set up it's very solid. Just lying on it briefly I suspect it would be comfortable even without a pad on it. But I'd been meaning to give my Wiggy's Luxurious Ground Pad a try! The Wiggy's pad is a Long, Narrow (70" x 24"). A bit bulky but not super heavy, although certainly not for gram weenies.

Ultimately the combo wound up being almost as comfortable as my bed at home! It was probably the best I've ever slept outside.

So far I'm pretty jazzed about it! I have to caution that it was just one night, and while it's very comfortable only time will tell if it's durable and if it will survive long term use. Yet it feels very solid and I expect it to hold up. We shall see.

The next step will be to dig out my lightweight inflatable pad. I can't recall the brand but it's about the size of a Nalgene and around a pound. I'd like to try the cot alone without a pad to see if I can sleep the whole night on it. The plan would be to take the inflatable with the notion of using it alone if/when the inflatable fails (in my experience they all fail eventually).

Bottom line: While bulky, I think I think I can live with the Wiggy's/Petrous weight and size for packing in. Certainly it's pretty luxurious for car camping. I'm eager to see if the cot holds up to extended use.

2. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm not familiar with any of the gear you mentioned, but wanted to wish you the best in your endeavors. :)

A good sleep is worth making an effort to get. You may have hit a home run with your system because usually the first night sleep is not so good.

I'm a cot sleeper as well and just picked up a small cot from the thrift store. Not sure what brand it is. Has steel poles that go together and fit in sleeves down each long side, then has three spring steel supports that go into holes in the steel poles. Cot is maybe 6-8" above ground? Seems to be pretty comfortable thus far. I have a similar one made by Beyer of main too.

A nice this down filled mattress would be awesome. :)

3. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
  4. MartyJ

MartyJ Scout

Blog Posts:
    Glad you got a good sleep system. I am always monkeying with mine but am convinced I am always going to find the perverbial “Princesses’ pea” and never be perfectly comfortable. I really enjoyed the web site you listed. The guy did a great job of checking what seems to be every cot on the market and comparing them. Interesting reading. I really do want a low cot so It provided a good idea of what was available.

5. RJM52

RJM52 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the nice write-up and link...

When possible I've also been sleeping on a low cot, a Big Grizzly...

https://www.amazon.com/CAMPERS-HAMMOCK-Big-Grizzly-Cot/dp/B002J91S24

..with a standard Wiggy's full size pad and usually a Wiggy's Nautilus bag. Next time out I may also add the Klymit air mattress. Have also been wanting to get one of the new Wiggy's luxury pads....

Bob

central joe and blind & lost like this.
  6. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Glad you got out and liked your new set-up. Hope the new job is to your liking.

central joe and Bobsdock like this.
  7. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    M.B, please keep us posted w/ your ongoing results

and BTW, just how big an ole boy are you?

i'm about 275# and finding gear that supports me sure gets interesting at times ;-O

Midwest.Bushlore and central joe like this.
  8. argot

argot Tracker Banned

Blog Posts:
    I have found that a 10 mg, timed-release Ambien tablet corrects for a lot of failings in the sleeping gear. :) I consider a small bottle of them to be a 'must have" for crisis-prep. Your antibioties, sedatives, painkillers, stimulants, (pharma" are by far the most useful 1/2 oz, small handful of gear you can have with you, if things are serious, as vs for fun.

central joe likes this.
  9. Daniel Klinglesmith

Daniel Klinglesmith Ornory Old Dog Supporter

Blog Posts:

I'm insulin dependant diabetic, I have never taken a medicine chest with me into the woods. I carry a supply of Nitro in a neck bottle, otherwise I find no need for a few days out. My whole kit is in a sling bag or on my belt.

10. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'm around 225, maybe a bit heavier atm. I feel you, lots of stuff is made for little guys. ;)

66drifter likes this.
  11. Daniel Klinglesmith

Daniel Klinglesmith Ornory Old Dog Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Back when we did the family camping we had a cabin tent with queen sized air mattress and blankets. we slept pretty good that way. In all my solo trips, I covered a pile of leaves and pine needles with a small tarp and used a space blanket for a cover. A lot of nights I slept sitting up against a cedar tree.

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.