Finally, my TBS Lynx.. my Grizzly’s little brother

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by JerseyDevilJeeper, Apr 16, 2019.

1. JerseyDevilJeeper

JerseyDevilJeeper Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Actually more pleased than I thought..
    Straight from the British Isles in *N695 Stainless with Olive wood handle..
    I’ve been so happy w my Grizzly so it was a logical south-lateral move for EDC if that makes any sense.
    My TBS LynxLynx.
    17BC9413-FAE1-464C-A032-2E55233517A8.jpeg

C9858686-E44A-4B11-ADE5-29732EDB69E1.jpeg 02801136-7B04-4DF7-9071-2F50CFCB7DF5.png

It’s 7.2" (180mm) overall with a 3.5" (85mm) blade that is 3mm thick, Scandi Ground and razor sharp outta the box.
    I got it w the multi carry sheath plus I’ll prob have Mr P. wrap it in tan for me.

Much lighter than I thought.. it’s literally 1/2 my D2 Grizzly. It’s gotta be the steel of course, If you went by weight it’s like comparing a monkey wrench to a screwdriver ... but as a tool it’s more like my 4-Door lifted JEEP Wrangler Compared to my wife’s stock JEEP Cherokee.. both quite capable, even in a snowstorm. But you wouldn’t take my lifted rig to work every day but you’d definitely want it outside the cabin when you and your buddies are hunting.
    BBD1C8B1-FFFC-48F8-B753-94949144F256.jpeg 726E3E70-2FF9-4FCD-9E8D-2696A807F3F0.jpeg
    The brits say “it has all the benefits of a High Carbon Tool steel with none of the downsides

My brother has the BOAR in this steel and loves it. Either way; it’ll ride as my EDC for n C2E41C84-3E66-439A-A0B8-F723CE215FC1.jpeg

I really need suggestions for my Olive wood as I wasn’t that happy w BLO on the Griz’s curly birch.
    *Typical Steel Analasis:
    N695 Stainless Steel - Carbon 1.05%, Molybdenum 0.50%, Chromium 17.00%, Silicon 0.40%, Manganese 0.40%. (HRC 58)

2. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a great stainless steel EDC option. Not sure on what to use on Olive wood..... linseed oil has always worked for my needs. :)

JerseyDevilJeeper likes this.
  3. JerseyDevilJeeper

Blog Posts:
    Yea, despite being the usual go-to, it just doesn’t seem to have hit the mark on my birch

M.Hatfield likes this.
  4. Rich V

Rich V Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice my friend. Go to Blade Forums for questions on preserving your wood handles. Rich

5. blue333

blue333 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have been using "Howards Butcher Block Conditioner" for years with great success.

I use it not only for my wooden handles, but also on my Carbon blades when storing.
    One HUGE PLUS for me, is it does not darken light colored woods like boiled linseed oil does.
    (Picked mine up local at Home Depot.)

Here is an overview:

Treat your butcher blocks, cutting boards, turned bowls and utensils to specialized wood care with this conditioner. Food-grade mineral oil penetrates deep and, along with water-resistant beeswax and carnauba wax, rejuvenates wood and prevents drying and cracking. Meets all FDA regulations for direct and indirect food contact. 12 fluid ounces.

[​IMG]

Ptpalpha and Duncsquatch like this.
  6. JerseyDevilJeeper

Blog Posts:
    Yea?!? I think BLO might’ve taken away some of the curly birch’s three-dimensional luster on my Grizzly :(
    Gonna hit depot today, Thanks Blue!
    Just follow the label or is there a better way?

blue333 and ExAF1N1 like this.
  7. JerseyDevilJeeper

Blog Posts:
    Is it too late for my Grizzly’s handle w this??
    Even after I did the multi-day BLO treatment?

blue333 likes this.
  8. blue333

blue333 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That BLO will keep it the same color it is now for a while. It's penetrated in the wood.
    If it was me in this position, I would soak a rag in isopropyl alcohol (the higher the alcohol % the better) and rub the handle. The alcohol should help remove/absorb some of the BLO. Even better would be Acetone. After a few minutes of air dry time, then I would soak/rub the Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner in really well.

Keep in mind, neither of these options are permanent. The alcohol/acetone option would just cut through the time of said BLO to dry out of the handle naturally on it's own.

Again, this is just what I would do rather than waiting months for the BLO to dry out of the handle.

Once the Howard's is rubbed in, that should be as dark as the handle will ever get, as long as you keep using it & nothing else.

9. JerseyDevilJeeper

Blog Posts:
    Blue, thanks brother; that’s what I was lookin for !

blue333 likes this.