financial preparedness silver stacking

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by EXPLORATORAUDACTER, Aug 19, 2019.

1. EXPLORATORAUDACTER

EXPLORATORAUDACTER Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hi there, not sure if this topic can fit in here but has anyone invest in precious metals as a way of financial preparedness? I am curious to learn a bit more about this, México is great place to get silver and I am thinking in investing a little bit on it to keep in the safe, I think silver is a reliable way to keep some tangible valuable, looking forward for any opinions. great week everyone!

2. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    I prefer silver in the form of US minted currency (ie junk silver coins or 1 ounce silver eagles). They are more widely recognizable and trusted than some other options.

Barry J, Gumbi, PokeyOkie and 14 others like this.
  3. Walking Crow

Walking Crow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like the advice @Robedsubset gave but I see the OP is in Mexico and that might change things. I don't know if US coins would carry a premium in initial purchase that would not be recovered when used for purchases or if they would be more or less readily accepted for purchases of goods and services. Whatever is chosen must be seen as desirable by the person whose goods you want to buy. US coins might be stronger than anything else...or not. Has there been any discussion of this topic in publications or social media that is directed at Mexico in particular or Latin America in general?

4. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think purity may be an issue with silver from Mexico. If it is in a reputable form from a reputable source with the purity marked on it, it is probably okay.

Remember, if you can't hold it, you down own it--avoid "paper silver."

5. PACoureurDuBois

PACoureurDuBois For God and Country --AISI #49-- --Roughian #79-- Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ^^^This. I've seen some interesting precious metals websites that sell the metals to you, but then offer "to store it in our secured warehouses".

6. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    Silver is at it's highest and best use in the smallest allotment that has international flash recognition, and the smallest premium over spot.

US silver dimes are the best form to stockpile silver.

7. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    And at the very least they have a historical and collectible value

8. EXPLORATORAUDACTER

Blog Posts:
    so, there is a different value from lets say one US silver dime vs any other silver piece with the same weight?

9. EXPLORATORAUDACTER

Blog Posts:
    for me the benefit of investing in precious metals is have them at hand in case of any eventuality, not sure if I would trust them to a secured warehouse in some other location than my own safe or caches that me and my family only know.

10. Harper

Blog Posts:
    They are certainly the best for trade purposes after an event (how do you get change?).

With respect to the best value, you have to compare apples to apples. It takes 14 dimes to equal one troy ounce of silver. I don't think that you can get 14 of them for less than an ounce round.

11. EXPLORATORAUDACTER

Blog Posts:
    Walking Crow has a good point there, I am sure that buying local is safer in terms of not getting scammed and also probably to get better priced due to the fact that there are several big silver mines in the country, about other discussion of this topic regarding México or Latin America haven't read any, just know there are Canadian and probably other countries exploiting Mines here.

12. Harper

Blog Posts:
    That is called the "numismatic value". It is the price a collector pays for a rare coin (year, condition, etc.). The "bullion value" (amount for silver content) is basically the same.

13. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes there is. I collect coins and there are some that are worth much more than their scrap value in silver.

14. goon

goon Scout

Blog Posts:
    As long as they’re authentic / from a reputable source, they might be more acceptable in trade because they’re more known and trustworthy to people in the US.

Silver is silver, and a ounce is an ounce - but it depends on what people recognize and trust. If you’re looking at older US coins, look for “junk silver” in the form of pre-65 dimes and quarters. You can also get US silver eagles, Mexican libertads, Canadian maple leaves, or UK Brittanias - each 1 Troy ounce of silver but with a premium from being from a government mint. But they’re heavier, not as well known as older US silver coins, and harder to make change with. Places like Apmex, kitco, and JM buillion can be educational.

15. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was told that you can’t eat silver. I have always been curious about precious metals but current prices seem way out of line. When I was still in College, gold was $35.00 an ounce. People were still mining placer deposits in the Central Mining District of Colorado and making a six-figure income. Probably not today. My investments do not include metals because of the volatility from wild speculation and fraudulent dealers.

16. rhino on INGO

rhino on INGO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wish to take this opportunity to remind all that being prepared for financial emergencies is just as important as being prepared to deal with a power outage, tornado, a shelter that needs built, or a fire that needs starting with simple resources. Having some precious metals as a hedge against inflation or long term emergencies can't hurt anything, but it's more important to carry minimal debt and have liquid assets sufficient to carry you through hard times.

Getting laid off from your job on 11/01/2018 and living on your savings and your part time job since then is a more likely emergency than a total economic collapses or widespread failure of the power grid.

Ooh! I was a little too specific in my example.

17. Harper

Blog Posts:
    But you can still use that silver and get food for it anywhere in the world. It may be expensive, but you can still get food for it. People in Venezuala with paper currency weren't that lucky--and that is just the latest example.

Silver is very underpriced compared to gold. You can get an ounce of silver right now for under $20.

As for volitility, metals will always be worth something. That cannot be said for paper, stocks or electron blips on a screen.

If people don't have much to spend, they should buy water filtration and long term storable food first. Then silver. Gold last of all. Gold is really more of a storage medium for wealth.

There are a number of reputble dealers. I like APMEX.

18. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have to chuckle when people say the price of gold and silver are volatile.

Flip your graphs.

19. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Precious metal = lead and brass.

[​IMG]

20. nomad orphan

nomad orphan Scout

Blog Posts:
    Try silver smithing.
    Thunderbird supply or rio grande...
    Both in albiq

21. Woodsman Wannabe

Woodsman Wannabe Scout

Blog Posts:
    I purchase a couple ounces of junk silver every summer. It isn't much, but it might help. I prefer to invest in food, fuel, brass & lead, those I know I can use/will need.

Plainsman, Kenneth, Harper and 3 others like this.
  22. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I understand what you are saying but precious metals have no intrinsic value. Unless you plan to make silver bullets. Items that can support and prolong life in a SHTF scenario would be more valuable for barter. And, worst case, you cannot buy food if none is available. What you save for a rainy day depends on how much rain and for how long it rains.

Kenneth, NJStricker and central joe like this.
  23. Kenneth

Kenneth Guide

Blog Posts:
    I seem to remember an article by Selco about him saying that in the emergency he dealt with, people with precious metals could not get things very easily because you cant eat silver and gold. I think he said something about people where more willing to barter food, medicine or other items for things they could use rather than precious metals.

I still would like some silver but just yesterday I saw 1oz of silver in a pawn shop for $24.95 and I see today silver is just over $17.

@nomad orphan what is albiq.

GOD Bless you and your families

Kenneth

24. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I don't invest in metals or the stock market, I ain't smart enough. But I do know a good deal on a gun, tractor, tool or truck when I see one. I have made lots off of them, and never took advantage of anyone. joe

25. EXPLORATORAUDACTER

Blog Posts:
    I think metals would be a good backup for situations like Venezuela this days, I agree that would be hard to use in some postapocaliptic scenario tho.

26. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would put savings in cash first for emergencies. Then also food, ammo, supplies, and tools. I see a lot of people sell their silver at a low price just to get money to pay an unexpected bill. I wouldn't treat silver as an investment. Silver was $35 an ounce twenty years ago. Now it's about $20. Silver is a bet against the dollar. It is a hedge. You buy it and you hold it. It is for when things get really bad and people won't accept dollars. At that point you hope that there will still be trading for gold and silver. I think if you have the money, gold is better but having both is ideal. But then silver would be for buying bread, gold is for buying the oven.

27. rhino on INGO

Blog Posts:
    It was also that high about 8-10 years ago when I was first concerned about the potential for hyperinflation. I made some serious mistakes because I didn't realize how easily silver prices could be manipulated rapidly by a few large investors acting in concert. I thought I was running out of time and then some huge silver paper certificates changed hands and the spot price plummeted. On the bright side, I learned an important lesson about diversified investments, studying historical trends more carefully before making purchases, and that metals are more about preserving a last ditch stash of value more so than a reliable means of high return on investment. After that, my threshold was $15/oz actual price for me for buying.

28. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    A3EDBBB0-0E2E-4662-B506-17B208F58A3B.jpeg I literally haven’t found a silver coin in my pocket for years. Look what came out of it today. Coincidence?

29. SonsOfLiberty

SonsOfLiberty Student of Life Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I think coin collecting is cool. I enjoy it.
    I think strike now is a very good price to buy silver at for a very long-term investment.

I personally think the idea of using silver as a bartering method for SHTF is fantasy. I see this theory put out on the internet by preppers all the time and I don’t think it’s realistic

central joe and Wapitilo like this.
  30. Wapitilo

Wapitilo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Silver is a good idea because it's relatively cheap. Buy low sell high should be the method here. Buy or even better, trade for silver with the expectation it will sit for a long time. It is fine if it does. If you can't afford the 18-22 dollars an ounce without sacrificing a need then you should save that money for other uses. However, if you can spare the funds to buy an ounce, whether it be in the form of a bunch of Mercury dimes or a silver round, then do so and squirrel it away. Do this every month and you will end up with a nice little pile when all is said and done. Is it going to be highly tradeable in a SHTF situation. Possibly, but probably not. It doesn't matter, because you haven't lost much acquiring it. When the price goes up, and it will, unload some and buy yourself a nice firearm. That will probably be more useful in the long run.

central joe likes this.
  31. Scarywoody

Scarywoody Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've recently started buying gold from Mene. They are the only US based seller of 24k gold jewelry. They state the gold price and markup for every item. I look at it like this, I'm going to have to get the wife a birthday, Valentine, Mothers Day, Christmas and I'm sorry gift. Might as well be a quality investment. SHTF does happen, you can barter much more easily with jewelry, plus, it's an heirloom. Mene.com/invite/hX6lYn

Kenneth and central joe like this.
  32. Naphtali

Naphtali Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am uncertain of its utility, but Maria Theresa Thalers have been in continuous production since 1741. All currently and recently manufactured Thalers are dated 1780 - the year of Maria Theresa's death. These silver coins, slightly larger?? than US silver dollars, was the ubiquitous currency in the Middle East and North Africa. I don't know how much that has changed. While some versions of the coin are collectible, nearly all are bullion versions.

Having typed that, I have no Thalers in my stash. I know no one personally who has any. I do not know what is considered acceptable pricing for bullion/cash Thalers.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    central joe likes this.
  33. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    You can be certain of their utility. Thalers are arguably the most worldwide recognized silver coin, and have been for eons.

For those who think the two monetary metals -- gold and silver -- "have no utility", remember, Dunning-Kruger is a real thing and it ain't pretty.

Gold and silver are monetary metals exactly because they are the only two substances on Earth that have constant marginal utility.

That is not opinion, that is a demonstrable scientific fact.

central joe and ArmyMacE like this.
  34. Nelson Forge

Nelson Forge Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I bought 100 newly minted walking Liberties years back as a hedge against inflation (possible hyperinflation) just to have something else that had true value. They are tucked away for a rainy day.
    But I question how useful they will be down the road... who is going to buy them off of me and what can I get for them???

If I had to do it again- I would have stuck with lead, storable food and camping gear.

CSM1970 and central joe like this.
  35. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    You made an intelligent decision years ago, and you have been and will continue to be insured.

Why second guess an intelligent decision?

central joe, Seacapt. and Harper like this.
  36. Harper

Blog Posts:
    ^This.

Your investment probably already paid for itself a couple of times over already.

One of the other aspects about gold and silver that hasn't been mentioned is their compactness. If you are forced to leave your residence, the amount of food that you can carry is limited by its bulk. You can carry the same amount of food and a whole lot of silver and (especially) gold besides.

I've heard it said that silver is barter and that gold is to ransom your life if necessary and as a means to store your wealth until what ever is happening is over.

As I said upthread, if you don't have a lot of money available, buy water filtration and long term storable food first. Then lead. Keep some cash on hand since there will be a window where it will still be accepted. Then get silver for barter--it still very cheap right now. Gold should be last since it is primarily a storage mechanism for wealth.

37. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Guide

Blog Posts:
    One thing to consider is if the world financial system.crumbles, who would trade.for precious metal with no means of valuing it? Lead will be the most sought after precious metal when combined with brass and powder. Of course you could.cast silver bullets for the really hairy bad guys

central joe and Harper like this.
  38. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Guide

Blog Posts:
    A better barter item would be hard liquor. High proof so it has more then one use. Easily divided into smaller quantities for exchange, difficult to acquire in emergency situations and after about a week of misery
    And stress, a good shot will be valuable indeed.

central joe and Harper like this.
  39. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    There are people here who do not seem to understand gold and silver.

"You can't eat gold or silver."

"Who's going to trade for worthless metal?"

" ____ is better for trade."

Here ... just one example among countless in history demonstrating the utility of gold and silver when calamity strikes.

40. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    My dad used to make us kids mine silver. He bought rolls of dimes, we had to sort the silver ones out.

The rest got rerolled and sent back.

41. Harper

Blog Posts:
    It would work out.

There is a 5,000 year history of valuation .

Certainly ammo is a tradable commodity. But there is a lot out there. Of course, that is assuming that firearms--and ammo-- are still legal.

central joe likes this.
  42. Harper

Blog Posts:
    I think that this would be a dangerous commodity to trade in.

I'm not saying that you shouldnd't have some on hand for medicinal reasons, making tinctures, etc. A quality vodka is good for making tinctures.

Winterhorse, central joe and OrienM like this.
  43. wolfmanjosh

wolfmanjosh Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think it's funny the people who doubt precious metals trade ability. As a poster above pointed out it has a 5,000 year history and until about 50 years ago still made the dollar the dollar...

Wapitilo, Winterhorse, L0NER and 2 others like this.
  44. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mountain men used plews (beaver pelts) as their primary commodity of exchange.
    You can eat the beaver meat, and make clothing out of the plews if need be... and the threads of the forum do say multi-use items are best. ;)

45. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Guide

Blog Posts:
    People are different today. They use monopoly money and believe it has value. Precious metals are a good long term investment and can be a good barter item if you have people prepared to use it in trade. Most people will want things they can use immediately in a disaster or financial meltdown. Like toilet paper, food, alchohol and bullets. In the long run, once financial systems come back online the gold and silver will regain its utility and value and if you have a good stockpile you will be setup well.

46. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Guide

Blog Posts:
    Why would it be more dangerous then gold?

Winterhorse, Harper and central joe like this.
  47. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    When the collapse occurs there will likely be new coinage. the latter will likely be exchanged at a highly inflated rate . or if another countries coinage is being used being able to trade for that new coinage with silver might be the way .
    Here is a problem . both with buying any PM is that there are people that cast slugs into these and have pressed the metal with its original facing ,I have seen them.
    Other nefarious means are mixing the metals adding lead to silver and copper to gold and so forth . The untrained eye and without some sophisticated test equipment, how do you prove it true content ?
    I bet most of us do not know how to tell a true diamond .
    On the street how do you know what your getting in precious metals ? because that is what it might boil down to if you expect to exchange for other goods with it.
    I have some PMs but my reasons are medicinal not economic .
    I make colloidal silver. it is a time tested antibiotic that bacteria cannot become immune to .
    The metals I collect are steel and aluminum and brass and copper and any other metals relative to making tools and other needs .
    Being a blacksmith and machinist and mechanic and welder amongst many other things , with the materials I can fix or build what ever I need to help with a restart if man survives the apocalyptic coming events .
    If they never happen in my lifetime the metals will still have intrinsic value and reduced to money either way.
    Had I the money I'd have a barn strictly for storing wood and carpentry equipment ,I love the smells of all kinds of wood . properly stored age would not be an issue .
    I store glass as well and I know how to cut it and make windows ,problem wit glass is that it ages even in the dark and get's more brittle . same with a lot of things.
    given the opportunity I might like to learn how to blow glass , it would be handy for making things that are glass that get broken where only glass functions best.
    I know how to work plexiglass and plastics and can weld them , so working glass should not be that difficult.
    Do any of you know how to make glasses ? I have a book on making lenses
    There are a million skills that are available to us if we see the value in them now, and not take what we have for granted .
    When I learned of the "ram pump" which can pump water with no external power.
    I had to build one to prove it to my self and discover what it takes and what it is capable of.
    I don't need one but I can now help others that do have a use for it , and in the future if I move I can take the materials to build one where I go.
    If you don't KNOW by experience how something works, and only have a you tube sample in your memory, you don't own it.

Akela, Harper, Seacapt. and 1 other person like this.
  48. Harper

Blog Posts:
    It's a mind altering substance.

Granted, greed is an issue with metals, but it doesn't change the body's chemistry.

49. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    Good points, arleigh.
    Coins can be a very sticky wicket, so to speak.
    Here are just two examples about the adulteration of coinage of many manipulations that have occurred throughout the history of the use of coins...
    https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/fourree-counterfeiting-in-ancient-times/
    https://tcallenco.blogspot.com/2017/12/americas-adulteration-of-gold-standard.html
    I've seen a number of references state that current US coins are little more than basic tokens.

50. rhino on INGO

Blog Posts:
    I'm skeptical that lead (in terms of loaded ammunition) will really be a wise choice for bartering if things get really bad. It may be very valuable, but it would be questionable whether or not using it is a good idea. If you pay in ammunition, that means you probably have a surplus and you're telling the people with whom you barter plus everyone they choose to tell that you have something they probably want very badly.

Wapitilo and Harper like this.