Finnish bag kit (long and lots of pics)

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by Crusher0032, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So recently I've noticed in another thread that @CHREBA and I have been working on similar style kits at the same time. That's one of the things I've enjoyed here because if another person is doing similar to what I am and it hasn't been coordinated, it feels like I'm having my thought process validated. Either that, or we both have bad ideas at the same time :D. Anyhow here's what I've been working on:

Finnish gas mask bag and 2 qt canteen with carrier, worn opposite of each other:

Here's the bag with mods. I added pals webbing for molle attachments and also these thrift shop belts. They're not sewn, but if I feel I need to I will. They're looped through the leg strap so they can't fall off. They have 2 purposes: keep the lid closed, and allow me to strap things above or below the bag securely. They were $1 each. I left them long and taped up the ends with duct tape. Paracord bracelet with whistle on the right side of shoulder stripe and a fire biner :
    [​IMG]

Here's the canteen with a molle dump pouch added that I posted a couple days ago. No sewing to mount it:14::
    [​IMG]

Inside the bag, brown pouch is usgi style rubber poncho from major surplus, blue on the left is a cotton bandanna in one of the original pockets:
    [​IMG]

The dump pouch mounted on the outside with hand sewn pals webbing:
    [​IMG]

Everything but the brown poncho fits in the camo pouch. Tractor supply had 3 packs of the pouches for 1.99. I have a homemade shoe polish beeswax candle, headlight, bank line, Captain America expanding cloth (1$ at dollar tree), crkt minimalist Bowie, UCO matches, chem lights, zip ties, shock cord to tie things up for carry:
    [​IMG]
    Spoon/fork knife I've had for years. Fire kit that goes in small camo pouch. Francis Kirk made the striker. Also have pocket bellows, PJ cotton balls in pill bottle, match case, jute, Fresnel lens. The pouch fits in the wider center pocket sewn into the bag:
    [​IMG]
    Spare Hultafors GK and Pathfinder and gsi cups around a nalgene. Lid is in the bag. There was already a divider sewn into the bag that fits this combo perfectly. GK has a sewing needle and ferro rod handled with a cork and secured to the sheath by shock cord and a loop on a carabiner and webbing dangler:
    [​IMG]

I have one more small pouch that has first aid items in it that lays flat on the bottom but it's in my continental edc bag u less I go out with this kit. I realize I have 3 ferro rods and and an extra knife, but the kit isn't that heavy. I can also slide my cold steel trail hawk through the clasp loops and it fits like the bag was sewn for it. I also have an emmrod that fits inside the bag well. I carry a belt knife (Camillus bushcrafter) or my Skrama

I know that's a ton of pictures, but thought others might enjoy seeing what I've put together. This kit doesn't weigh much, I can trim it some if need be, has plenty of room to add food and large or or large items, and 3 quarts of water.

hunter63, MrFixIt, WILLIAM.M and 5 others like this.
  2. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Crusher0032 Are you kidding I absolutely love it . Great looking setup , Keep'em coming !

PS : I'm going to put my dump pouch on the webbing on the side of my butt pack .

MrFixIt, central joe and Crusher0032 like this.
  3. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking outfit young fellar. joe

MrFixIt and Crusher0032 like this.
  4. CHREBA

CHREBA Scout

Blog Posts:
  5. Crusher0032

Blog Posts:

Thanks Mr Joe. Wish you and I could go for a hike some time. Always appreciate your kind words around here. Even if you do hang out with that crowd of hooligans on the Liars Bench :4:

6. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hooligans?! Who you callin’ a hooligan you rascal!?

;)

Really nice set up, looks good!

NevadaBlue, PAcanis, hunter63 and 2 others like this.
  7. hunter63

hunter63 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Be aware or the "one more thing monster:.......gets you every time.

Nice job....thanks for posting...

I just put my whole hunting fanny pack...inside a modded finn bag on shoulder...so it still possible to wear as is or if needed...Take out the fanny pack and use normally....use the empty finn bag can be used for other things for other things.

Mod canteen kit on the other.

MrFixIt, NevadaBlue and Crusher0032 like this.
  8. Crusher0032

Blog Posts:
    My stuff is similar. I have three of those camo pouches set up that migrate back and forth to different kits. That's why there are a couple multiples but I sure get what you're saying.

I forgot to post the kit weight the other day, but it's 14 lbs total for both bag and carrier. 6 lbs is water.

hunter63 and MrFixIt like this.