Fire piston fun!

Discussion in 'Fire' started by Bushcraft-kelso, Jul 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hey bush braws!
    A while back I got me a fire piston to fill that gap in my ultimate fire kit. 1531081712469-1503822292.jpg I had never used one untill I got this dude. It took me a bit to get the hang of it. Apparently my forcefully and their forcefully was two different things. Once I found out that one needs to give it just a pop and you get an ember. IMG_20180708_145911.jpg The tricky part is transferring it from the piston to the tinder bundle. I used jute just cause its easy to work with. IMG_20180708_150327.jpg as with most fluffs of jute, once the ember is inside it's flame time. Getting to this point.. well to the ember it's self is really alot less effort than many other fire starting methods. But that's my opinion. Anyone else use a fire piston from time to time ? Let's see what ya got!!

2. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I’ve found them to finicky. Having said that it’s been a long time since I’ve messed with one.

3. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I read your post in "things not to do in the house." So this is the offender! LOL. I first saw these and had to double check the physics before I believed it. I very much want to try one.
    Cheers Jim

4. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks spoony..... your post here jsut cost me $25 on a new fire piston..... :confused:

5. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Yep! This was the dude that enraged my wife!!
    @Luzster your welcome brawdy!

gohammergo, MrFixIt and Luzster like this.
  6. CSM1970

CSM1970 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ive had one of these for 7-8 years but used it very little after I learned how to make an ember with it. I thought of it as a modern technological toy rather than a traditional firemaking method. Wrong. The first patent issued for this gadget was in England in 1807. There is evidence of a much longer history of primitive tribes people making these from bone and wood or bamboo. So feel free to include this in your traditional bag of fire making tricks.

To read a good history, google Ancient Fire--making Technologies by Wyatt Knapp or go to the Primitive Ways site. http://www.primitiveways.com/fire_piston.html

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 6:14 AM
    Bushcraft-kelso and scottmm2012 like this.