Fire Stick........for TV

Discussion in 'Media Forum' started by Falcon45, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Falcon45

Falcon45 Guide Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hey y'all....well last month @scgramma & I decided to get rid of our satellite sports package. It is getting too expensive. Prices keep going up. Gonna miss those "huntin & fishin" shows. We heard about that gizmo from Amazon called the Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote.
    We checked out a bunch of Youtube videos & it seems you have to be a computer genius to get some software app downloaded to get that thing to operate correctly.
    My question is.....does that Fire Stick really work like it says it does. Any one have one.......? I wold like to know if y'all have any pros or cons.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Winterhorse likes this.
  2. dirt7

dirt7 Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Fire Stick is plug and play into your TV via the HDMI port. You don't need to download anything to make it work, more than likely they were talking about aftermarket modifications you can do in order to pirate programs/movies.

You will have to plug it in, and link it to your home Wi-Fi network, in all honesty it is pretty easy. I personally like my Roku, which operates along the same lines which I primarily watch Netflix and Youtube on.

Falcon45, Winterhorse and ExAF1N1 like this.
  3. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 Member of a small but fierce tribe. LB-42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a Roku, but it operates the same way I believe. With mine, it just plugs into the TV and the outlet, it runs off the wireless internet in the house. You need internet for it to be able to work.

I like mine, gave up cable over a year ago. You just pick the channels you want and pay for the ones that cost. Lot of channels are free but have lots of repeating commercials. Some of the pay ones you can pay extra to not see any commercials.

Falcon45 likes this.
  4. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a Fire Stick on one TV and the Fire TV Box on another.
    Both were very easy to set up if you have any computer knowledge, mainly getting the Wi-Fi info entered.

The Stick stopped working within a year. The Box is practically never off :15: and works great for the most part.
    But, I've been meaning to pick up a Roku Stick next time I'm at Wally World. I want to see how it compares to Amazon's products and Sling TV recommended it. I've been noticing that I need to do a force stop/re-launch a few times a day with the Amazon Fire TV Box. I'm wondering if it's because of a conflict with Amazon and other apps that are not Amazon related, nor do I buy them through Amazon. Like Netflix and Sling TV. I never have a rebooting issue when I'm watching Amazon Prime shows :33:

I'm pretty sure with my smart TV I don't even need the box or stick. Some of the apps are built right in. But I really love the simplicity of Amazon's remote. I never use Alexa, so can't offer you anything there.

Falcon45 likes this.
  5. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    as is firestick is basically useless,
    what many people use is a bootleg app to watch shows,
    you will still need to pay for each subscription service like Netflix, amazon video, etc...
    I have cable at home, but at my weekend place I use my cellphone (unlimited data) connected to tv with an hdmi adapter
    also when you drop cable from your plan, your internet only rate goes up, and will need higher data rate, which ends up being not much different than cable/internet bundle

Falcon45 likes this.
  6. SoreFeet

SoreFeet Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought a firestick about 1 month ago. I like it! I downloaded the fire tv app onto my tablet and used it in setting it up, it wasn't hard to do. If you're a prime member you get lots of movies and older tv shows included. Watch a few you tube videos about it and you can better decide.
    I downloaded a few apps from Amazon into it with no problem. I'm not going to download the apps that you can steal programs with because I don't steal and I don't trust that sort of app to not be stealing credit card or ID information from me.
    Their are several good streaming services available, in about two weeks when my current dish runs out, I'll be trying philo tv for $16. a month and my old rabbit ears does decent for local stuff.
    I bought a Mediasonic Homeworks gadget to record the few ota shows we watch and it works pretty good.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797PQFZG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7. alexgoog

alexgoog Tracker

Blog Posts:
    When I got rid of our satellite sports package, I went for a FireStick. To watch movies, I have recently installed Uranus Kodi addon by using this guide - https://www.firesticktricks.com/install-uranus-kodi-addon.html . It has absolutely neat layout and is pretty intuitive to use. Being a music enthusiast, the MP3 STREAMS addon is also frequently used. To watch sports, I use PRO SPORTS KODI ADDON and FOOTBALL REPEAT. All of them works great for me and are updating regularly.

SoreFeet likes this.
  8. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    WE tried Firestik and was not happy about try to view something/ anything from it. The streaming seemed to pause every 3-5 sec! I was thinking that maybe after a few minutes something would "Catch up" and not have to pause anymore, but nope, it never stopped. We have cable internet with fast speed, and didn't expect what we had. Sent it back!

9. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have Fire sticks in all of my rooms, you can side load some apps to allow the fire stick work more like an android device and pick up live TV. Netflix, Youtube Red and Amazon prime video works well for me, I do pay for CBS all access so that my mom can watch TV when she visits me.

10. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been rockin' the Roku box for the past few weeks. Hands down blows the Amazon devices out of the water. Way better picture, doesn't time out/reboot like the Amazon devices, has a power button and volume control that work with your TV...
    If you've decided to stream your TV, I'd recommend Roku over Amazon. They make a stick, too, but the box can do more.

SoreFeet likes this.
  11. elkhunter

elkhunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We have the Fire Stick and love it. We also have Netflicks that we run thru the Fire Stick.

SoreFeet likes this.
  12. clanmaki

clanmaki Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I tried the fire stick but have yet to make a fire with it.

SoreFeet and Falcon45 like this.
  13. Concord77

Concord77 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I alos use Firestick and I'm pleased with it.

SoreFeet and Falcon45 like this.