Fireworks tonight....

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by x39, Jul 4, 2019.

1. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So for me it was a star shot summer night sky, with a back yard full of fireflies, accompanied by a chorus of frogs. Hard to imagine anything to top that. Hope all of you had a good one as well.

2. trouble

trouble Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like ww3 here, dogs are scared. Sorry but I despise the 4th, inconsiderate morons making life hard for everyone else.

3. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow. I could never "despise the 4th".
    Not crazy about fireworks really, I don't mind shooting although not like some fools are doing right now I'm sure.

For me Independence Day is a day of reflection of our Country. I love it.

We haven't gotten to the firefly stage yet tonight but give it about thirty minutes. I am staying right on the water so the frogs and insects are loud. Yep there's celebrations and some gunfire in the background. Sounds like Freedom to me. :)

M.Hatfield, Sandcut, buckfynn and 9 others like this.
  4. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’m sure you meant you despise people shooting illegal fireworks in your neighborhood not the celebration of the great country’s independence. I can empathize with you all three of mine are demanding to be held luckily their combined weight is just over 20 lbs. I watched the sun set running my John Deere which was just about perfect for me.

M.Hatfield, highlander, x39 and 7 others like this.
  5. tristndad

tristndad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You described my night to a T. The lightning bugs put on quite the performance tonight and the frogs made sure they where heard.

Happy 4th!

6. trouble

trouble Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It has nothing to do with what the celebration is at all, just the fireworks. Professional shows are far and above anything some drunk can do in their driveway. The 4th is just used by most as a day off, reason to drink and make tons of noise late into the night. Unfortunately I don't habe the luxury of living way out away from our species . That day will come.

7. dial1911

dial1911 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here, the hills are alive with the sound of gunpowder.

Thankfully, our old dog doesn't even notice the noise.

M.Hatfield, highlander, x39 and 4 others like this.
  8. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Explosions, loud noises are not my thing. The dogs don’t like them either. I love the fourth and wish there were designated areas like public parks and commons folks could shoot fireworks. Just don’t fire them off behind my house.

M.Hatfield, highlander, x39 and 2 others like this.
  9. TheGeoSquirrel

TheGeoSquirrel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Our community is not having our city fireworks display this year. Our local fire dept normally produces the show. Several weeks ago while prepping the fire works in an old munitions bunker at at our airport (it used to be an military air base) an explosion occured that injured 12 fireman. All 12 survived. 10 were treated and released. 2 were seriously injured. One of those is out of the hospital and the other remains hospitalized.
    We still have a bunch of idiots shooting off illegal fireworks and some gun fire also going on.
    The wife and I just grilled burgers and hot dogs, made ice cream and just finished watching the Maceys fireworks display on tv.
    God bless America!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  10. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    We had a phenomenal lightning storm roll through just before the fireworks. :)

I like the fireworks. I also respect the opinions of those who aren't so crazy about the noise and such. But I love them. :)

But I did like the storm better. :42:

M.Hatfield, Sandcut, buckfynn and 3 others like this.
  11. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I spent the day with my mom, stepdad, and little brother. We ate way too much. I raided the barn storage area for lumber to build some raised planting boxes for lettuce, spinach, and turnip greens. I’ll work on those tomorrow.

I watched the fireworks everyone else around my dad’s place let off. It’s not illegal here. I just can’t see spending hundreds of dollars on 30-45 minutes of fireworks. The town had a fireworks display as always.
    My dog is scared of them. He hid under my dad’s bed.
    However, it’s 1Am on 5 July...and the morons are still letting off fireworks.
    There’s sirens headed somewhere, probably an ATV accident.

12. Howie

Howie Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I love the 4th weekend. And the drunks and the fireworks and the mayhem. Keeps the ED busy and me employed.

13. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Our town of just under 5,000 had their display on the 3rd, about a mile and a half from my house. I could hear them and see them just fine from my deck. Our two schnauzers are in their teens (in people years, not dog years) and don't even hear them anymore. Our yorkie/mutt is a little schizo when it comes to noises and starts whining and yipping in the other room. (He doesn't get to sleep in our room because he likes to "mark his territory", as my wife says. I assure her that my boots are not his territory, but I digress.) The evening of the 4th was long with the neighborhood yahoos that set off lots of noisemakers over a period of about 3 hours. The "doggie xanax" (for the yorkie/mutt) wore off before the pops and bangs did, so I didn't get much sleep. Hopefully the neighbors will not try to extend their personal fireworks displays for another night. I know I'm taking some benadryl before bedtime tonight to help make up for the lost sleep of last night. I like to set stuff on fire and blow stuff up as much as the next guy, but no longer care to burn my own money by buying fireworks.

M.Hatfield and x39 like this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Your pets and children take their Qs from you .
    If you show fear they learn to react as you do.
    We had fire works and even a 200 drone light show which actually was more spectacular then the fire works.
    20190704_211404.jpg
    this was over a mile away from us at the south coast winery.
    I wish the video would down load but such is life.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  15. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Shooting "illegal" fireworks? LOL! Everything about Independence Day is a celebration of illegal activity. :18:

[​IMG]

slysir, M.Hatfield, stillman and 3 others like this.
  16. Ragman

Ragman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a great time @x39 Here in the big city there was plenty of commotion.
    I don't mind the fireworks so much but there were a lot of backyard parties and the music, good lord the music, simply dreadful.

M.Hatfield and x39 like this.
  17. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    THIS ^ is truly wonderful!

M.Hatfield, x39 and WY_Not like this.
  18. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Fully vaccinated Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Since my dog passed a few years back, I can enjoy the 4th and associated ruckus far more. But I sympathize with the dog owners whose lives are made more difficult. At our old house when we had the dog, the guy across the street and his son seemed to think that the entire summer was open bottle rocket season. Not a lot but they’d light off a couple almost daily in the evenings it seemed. My poor dog... especially as he got older and more nervous about things like that, including thunderstorms.

In any case, I was in bed before sun down since I had to work today and get up at 5am. I usually work the day after so I don’t think I’ve seen fireworks for the 4th in years. But I could hear them as I dozed off.

The 4th is just one of the many joyous parts of summer. I don’t begrudge my fellow Americans celebrating how they see fit that they get to live in the best country on earth.

19. wallflash

wallflash Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Had the best of both . Watched a fireworks show at the lake we just bought some acreage at, then sat outside the camper with no lights watching the stars and listening to the night sounds of the forest .

20. wallflash

wallflash Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

The local fireworks show here was great, but the music accompanying it was simply horrible . And sadly , they had been playing great music all day, from John Cougar to Waylon , Willie, to some good classic rock. Then when the fireworks started they decided to accompany it with a mixed up mishmash of Queen Bohemian Rhapsody with other Queen songs mixed in with a hip hop thumping beat throughout . Just awful. I love Queen, but they aren’t fireworks music and don’t mishmash all their songs together into some sort of dance mix . They finally did Ray Charles America towards the end, but then decided the closing song should be American Pie by Don McLean. Another great song in its own right, but horrible fireworks music .

Damn , I want to hear the Boston Pops , Ray Charles, Lee Greenwood , Toby Keith, Bruce Springsteen , Lynyrd Skynyrd, and such .

x39, Ragman and M.Hatfield like this.
  21. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    While this may be true in some cases, it is not accurate as a blanket statement. I was lying comfortably in my bed trying to go to sleep, not whimpering at the kitchen door. This dog has learned that if he whines, my wife will sleep on the couch allowing him to curl up at her feet. I'm afraid she has become an enabler (cue startling organ chord and wide eyes ).

x39, M.Hatfield and WY_Not like this.
  22. stillman

stillman Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I wish this were true. Wife, Daughter and I love guns, fireworks and thunderstorms. We had to give our dog to my cousin because she couldn't handle any kind of noise along those lines. There's an active rail line about in our town. Some nights the rumble of the cars are barely audible here and even that would make her edgy.

x39 and M.Hatfield like this.
  23. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]

One for the pro column for cats. :18:

HeadyBrew, x39, Ragman and 2 others like this.
  24. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!’

x39, Ragman, WY_Not and 1 other person like this.