First Benchmade- Griptillian

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Wasp, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:19 PM.

1. Wasp

Wasp Best on the Nest Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wow. I just got my first Benchmade ever and I am so impressed!
    The first thing that stood out to me was the presentation--getting to your knife, from the box and even foam quality, to the bag, and then the knife itself.
    I got the gray G10 and blue G10 accents and hardware, all of which is outstanding so far.

20180420_171322.jpg

Initial impressions:
    The blade is sharp, like hair shaving sharp. Could it be sharper, likely, but I'm not complaining at all. The axis lock takes a little getting used to but its not rocket surgery so it shouldn't be long. Its got enough heft to let you know youve got ahold of it but its not heavy as I imagined. I'm not usually bothered by the weight of folders anyway.

I asked about sizes and since I have XL hands I decided to get the full size. My hand width from knuckle to knuckle is 3.5", and with my index against the curve near the blade my pinky is at the bottom--no room to spare but not cramped-> perfect size in other words so maybe that will help you decide.

The fit and execution is very nice. G10 is smooth yet textured, and then theres the Griptillian texture which seems just enough. The G10 is beautiful to look at as are the accents.

The Blade:
    This is the saber or whatever grind this is called. Its easy on the eyes. Its sharp as I mentioned above, the grind is a lot more perfect than some of my other factory folders, even my spydercos which is about as good as it gets. It kind of has a stonewashed or "brushed" look , maybe call it satin. The thumbstud is well executed and although it works fine I'm more accustomed in recent years to a nail nick or moreover a Spydiehole (which is available on the sheepsfoot model). On the back of the spine and the blade there is jimping but it almost feels like a light texture, smooth (not sharp) maybe but enough to give traction. Probably my favorite jimping ever.

I added a MXG Gear low profile titanium blue clip to it. Its nice but I havent decided if its staying or not.

So far there is nothing I dont like about it. I promise I will post pictures probably tomorrow when I can get some shots in daylight outside.

Thanks,
    Chris

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018 at 6:19 PM
  2. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I just sold enough knives to get a Benchmade Proper, so it won't be lonely long. ;)

3. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Amphibian. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nice!
    You'll fall in love with the Axis lock.
    The thumbstud as relates to the geometry of the knife as a whole is my favorite in the business; you can apply force directly "up" and have the blade open and locked in no time, as opposed to the Spydercos, where you must apply force "up and out" away from the handle.

ETA I looked long and hard at the Proper, but just couldn't justify the price. Let us know how it handles.

4. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great blade. My coworker dowright abuses his. He has used that knife as long as I remember working together eith him. About 18 years.

Pharmer and Wasp like this.
  5. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    It is a little "up and out" but not much compared to a Spyderco, or other thumbstuds. They definately figured out some geometry on this whole design.

As to the propper, I just had to have one since I first saw it, just havent jumped until now. I'm pretty excited and I will do and overview of it when I get it. There are now three models. ;) shhhh

6. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Scout

Blog Posts:
    The Griptillian is a very handy design, and the axis lock truly makes it a one hand operation. I’ve had mine for over nine years and still think it’s a great knife.

7. Dubhelix

Dubhelix Scout

Blog Posts:
    I rarely use the thumb stud, preferring to de-actuate the axis lock with my thumb or thumb-and-index finger, and flip it open, then flipping it closed when I'm done using it.

I carried a griptilian for years, then sold it off and tried...just about everything else.

Recently I returned to the axis-lock griptilian. For me, there's nothing better, and the price on a basic model is quite fair.

xrayit, Pharmer, Wasp and 2 others like this.
  8. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Amphibian. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    try to loosen the pivot just a tiny bit. it'll be purely 'up'.

Pharmer, Wasp and americanstrat98 like this.
  9. mcblade

mcblade Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had a mini grip for a while, I'll be replacing that in June at the Blade show. One of the best production knives I've ever handled. Can't wait.

10. victoratsea

victoratsea Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @Wasp You made a great choice, I EDC a mini griptillian for years, be careful where you put it down, my first one grew legs and "walked off". These knives usually just need a good strop to become hair popping scary sharp. The axis lock is so nice and smooth that in no time people will think it's an automatic; it deploys that fast. I have to be careful not to scare my clients when I use it at work. I would EDC the full size, but in my locale the larger knife would really scare my clients. Enjoy.
    Victor

11. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Excellent choice, brother. It's a great knife.

12. mosinjoe

mosinjoe Scout

Blog Posts:
    Have had one for several years and it is a well designed edc blade that is tank tough and can be used hard. One of the best knives ever made imho. Well worth the money.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018 at 10:42 AM
  13. Djektd

Djektd Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I love my benchmade knives. The axis lock is such a pleasure to use. I know if you call or email and ask for a "deep carry clip" for the benchmade 940/griptilian line they will send you one for free. Just specify whether you want the black coated or plain steel. They've also been known to do that for certain parts of you ask. Benchmade customer service is outstanding.

Another thing that I've always liked about benchmade is their blade replacement. I believe they only do it with their 154cm steel blades though. If you break it, chip it, saw it in half or just want to switch from serrated to plain or vice versa.. They will switch it out for $25 for the plain(non coated) blades. If it's a black coated blade I'm pretty sure it's $30-35.

14. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    Didn’t know about the blade swap. Hmmm

15. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    That's one heckuva great deal for a new 154CM blade. I hadn't heard of that either.

16. Toytech

Toytech Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great buy , the g10 scales are such a upgrade and they grey and blue is just such a sharp combination . Axis lock is the best , i cant stand having my thumb in the path of a sharp blade to close a knife .

17. Madwell

Madwell Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Congrats! Enjoy sir good move on the G10.

Wasp and Pharmer like this.
  18. Pharmer

Pharmer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love the mini grips. Also like the looks of the propers. I've been eying the bugout a long time. Hard the pull the trigger on the blue model I'd much prefer something neutral or even orange, so I'll stick with my minigrips for now. Enjoy.

Madwell likes this.
  19. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Benchmade Axis lock is magic when you get the pivot perfectly adjusted... one hand opening and closing with very little effort compared to even a well adjusted Spyderco. Great knife that will serve you well.

20. coachp

coachp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Love my Mini-Grip (D2 version) and you cannot beat the LifeSharp service. I send it back about once a year and it returns sharpened, cleaned, serviced, and with a new clip. Other than that, it gets the Worksharp Field Sharpener every few weeks and stropped (leather w/ green compound) at least weekly. Years ago I had the full-sized version, but it encroached on fixed blade size and service. No regrets switching to the Mini, but you can't go wrong with either -- or anything else from Benchmade.

Madwell likes this.
  21. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I was soooo close to buying the blue one! Still am if theyre around in a month. Its a limited production so I don't kmow if thst just means a numbered limited series before full release or only so many made.

Pharmer and Madwell like this.
  22. Toytech

Toytech Tracker

Blog Posts:
    There was a numbered series release but they are on to the regular production now , they where back ordered everywhere for the longest time . I just got one on monday and the bugout is a great knife , handle and blade length are excellent , lazer beam sharp and at under 2 ounces i cant tell its in my pocket . I dont like the deep carry clip , but thats just me , so i got benchmade to send me a different clip .

23. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    You mean the blue propper is regular production now? A few places have them but blade hq is still taking preorders.

24. Toytech

Toytech Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ah sorry thought you where talking about the bugout`s not the proper .

Wasp likes this.
  25. kyhunt

kyhunt Scout

Blog Posts:
    Benchmade axis lock has ruined me. Wife bought me a Grip about 4 years ago. It instantly became my edc. Last year I bought an Adamas folder and 710. I love them.

Madwell likes this.
  26. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Those seem popular too.

27. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I like Spydercos compression lock best, but I just got this. The best part of either is it takes less effor to release the lock than a lock on the back. Both types also allow you to depress the lock and sling the blade open into a locked position with practice.

I was having trouble flipping this Griptillian open like I see others doing it, and I still dont have it totally down. I have started sticking my thumbnail under the stud to flick it, and its fast but twice now I've hit the blade with my thumb pad...luckily with no cut. So that may not be the best method but Im'a keep playing until I figure something out, even if its with a bandaid. ;)

kyhunt likes this.
  28. Ptpalpha

Blog Posts:
    The Grip can be taken apart and significantly smoothed by some careful use of high grit paper (1k-2k) followed by a touch of high end lube, on both the blade pivot area and the axis lock travel path.

Wasp likes this.
  29. kyhunt

kyhunt Scout

Blog Posts:
    Dumb question on my part but have you put a drop of oil on it? Sometimes a drop of oil can make a huge difference.

Wasp likes this.
  30. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    No its totally smooth and opens easily enough after a few days breaking it in, I just meant my method isnt down pat yet.

kyhunt likes this.
  31. kyhunt

kyhunt Scout

Blog Posts:
    Got it.:dblthumb:

Wasp likes this.
  32. Wasp

Blog Posts:
  33. doanehead

doanehead Scout

Blog Posts:
    everyone is likely better at maintaining their blades I reckon, but my Grip gets dry every so often making it less simple to flip it open and closed. it's easy enough to lube it up and get it back to normal though..

Wasp likes this.
  34. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've wondered for years about switching to the Griptillian. You can make one "custom" on the Benchmade website.

I've carried Kershaw Leeks for just about 15 years because they're so slim line and narrow. I don't like feeling stuff in my pockets.

The Griptillians are really nice and seem like they'd be more useful, overall, than my Leeks...but let's face it I almost never need a pocket knife, lol. I just like having them!

Madwell and Wasp like this.
  35. slysir

slysir Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've carried a full size Grip for several years now...I couldn't imagine not having it!! What's not to like???

:dblthumb::59:

-John

Madwell and Wasp like this.
  36. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Well my only fear was relieved today, riding my sportbike with the full size Grip in my pocket without binding. So now I like it even more.

This wont keep me from carrying my spydercos, but gives me options and it cwill take the lead when not on the construction site for a while.

slysir likes this.