First Cascadia Regional GTG

Discussion in 'Events' started by Staleym, Feb 25, 2019.

1. DF Bob

DF Bob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I need a bigger trailer and we need more time!! Archery too? OK.

2. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It would certainly upgrade your Dunedain status. I have a variety of bows at different weights, if there is interest I can bring some from a 20 lb, 37, 44, and 65 lb bow.

3. Staleym

Staleym Dunedan of the North and one of the Free Peoples Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Might as well add in Chillin' around the bright yellow flames. Gonna have to prioritize what ya' wanna do. I never intended to get everyone so wornout they can't drive home. :18::53::rolleyes:

Solo seis dias mas!!

Red Yeti, ArmyMacE and NevadaBlue like this.
  4. Staleym

Staleym Dunedan of the North and one of the Free Peoples Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Before and after I got married (46 years ago!?!), I had a pretty nice Bear Recurve with #50 pull. I was a fair shot with it to. Moved it city to city and state to state over the course of life. Took it out of storage about 15 years ago and discovered it had started delaminating. What a Bummer, man!

ArmyMacE and NevadaBlue like this.
  5. Waldeinsamkeit Woodcraft

Waldeinsamkeit Woodcraft Woodland Wizard Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey all, so Saturday time still to be determined I will be doing a green wood spoon carving demo, I will be carving a green wood spoon from start to finish using traditional Scandinavian carving axes and knives, I will also be discussing different tools and techniques pros and cons, dedicated carving tools vs multi purpose bush tools etc. feel free to bring projects, tools and wood and i will be happy to help where I can , you can look me up on instagram or facebook to see examples of my work. I will also be there all weekend and have some cool stuff for the trade blanket Fallkniven f1, Boreal Canyon buck saw etc. Looking forward to hanging out!

6. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the connection between Greek coffee and Turkish coffee: The Ottoman Turks ruled Greece and the Balkans for about 400 years and brought their cuisine with them. So, pretty much all the fine ground, rich coffee is a Turkish style. And, that famous Austrian desert known as apple strudel? That flaky crust (same as baklava) was also captured at the battle of Vienna. After that, the Austrians had nothing to worry about, so they all went home and opened cafes and pastry shops. :D

ExAF1N1, ArmyMacE, NevadaBlue and 2 others like this.
  7. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a target for arrows. It's in the truck.

8. plantedtao

plantedtao Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Well, I have tried to free up some time for this event but it doesnt look possible. :(

Man, am I going to miss out! This event sounds pretty awesome... this better not be the only one :)

Have fun and be safe ya’ll!!!

9. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    You will be missed!

plantedtao, ArmyMacE and NevadaBlue like this.
  10. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Excellent!

11. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I don't have special tools for spoon carving but would sure like to see a demo... looking forward to it!

12. Northwest Axe

Northwest Axe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    %80 chance I can go Saturday! Hoping to have a couple axe heads to trade or sell : )
    Teaser
    [​IMG]

13. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Updated my rsvp, sis in law is coming along. (Wife's younger sister who is hearing) also for sure, staying all 4 days. Means I may have to leave some gear behind due to not having sufficiently waterproof bags for external carry in the forecasted rain showers on Friday lol

NevadaBlue, Northwest Axe and Staleym like this.
  14. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the update. If I had any suggestions for gear to jettison, I'd say leave group Cooking Gear. We'll likely have plenty. Just bring personal cooking and eating gear for non-group meals. Also, can park fairly close to camsites so maay not need waterproof bags, but you know best your needs. I'll still bring the 4 white boards and markers for your use. I look forward to meeting all of you.

15. DrunkenMarmot

DrunkenMarmot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Forged up some damascus (1095/1080/15N20/CruForgeV) flint strikers/bracelets (on the small side this batch) yesterday to test out this weekend

[​IMG]

16. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Mostly Harmless Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Have been making steady progress on getting my stuff together. It's this coming weekend, right??

House bag: tent, tarp, pads sleeping bag, check. Working on food tonight. Will plan on a vegetable dish to go with the potluck. Demo stuff for firemaking demos. Big friction drill. Will bring some carving tools too for sitting around the fire.

I have some forged items for trade, sale, play...pot hooks, strikers, fire snakes, some tinder horns I made up. Some sharps. Some forged bronze. I have a bunch of interesting rocks that spark.

I can also pick up three Plastic dishpan, wash basins for cleaning dishes if needed.

Looking forward!

:38::38:

17. BigHat

BigHat Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    starting on my supply list as well.

other than my personal stuff, i'll be bringing trade blanket items, 5 gallon water jugs, a folding table, a two burner propane cooker, carne asada for the pot luck, eggs and sausage for sunday breakfast, tortillas, and apple pie shine...

18. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    Yep. This coming weekend.

Three Days!!

NevadaBlue, Red Yeti and ArmyMacE like this.
  19. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    Hey all. I have created a thread in the Outings, Trips and Expeditions section for folks to post their photos, reports, thoughts and experiences. Many of you will return home on Sunday and so will be able to post before I get home on Monday afternoon.

First Cascadia Regional GTG - Photos and Reports

From Cascadia!
    Woody

OutnBacker, NevadaBlue and ArmyMacE like this.
  20. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Skills Practitioner Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sitting on my back deck right now going over everything. What to drag along, what to leave behind...

Laying out everything...

The display, show and tell... whatever you want to call it.

709D242B-AE71-44A7-B654-A580E74A507F.jpeg

Some other oddities...

1AF02022-8BCD-40AA-B411-26EE7B7F4C80.jpeg

A couple trades...

0686C9D6-4D17-494E-A770-E85DC16C0825.jpeg

Ok now back to the chaos of selecting what to bring, what to trade.

Thanks,

Jarrod

21. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm at Les Schwab getting a tire repaired and another balanced; should still be able to make it this Fri :) figuring out what to bring, what to trade, space, gear... may look into getting either a sturdy, waterproof pack cover, or a large dry sack that can compress to put on/in the pack that's going to go on the spare tire...

Red Yeti and ArmyMacE like this.
  22. Waldeinsamkeit Woodcraft

Blog Posts:
    Some things i'm bringing for the trade blanket, I'm gonna dig around I'm sure I got some more stuff here somewhere......

Attached Files:

23. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Okay update, Les Schwab wanted a lot more money than I want to spend, so went to a smaller tire shop, they tried repair, turns out theres another puncture thats on the shoulder and took a bit of the steel belt out, so they took it off and put two rather heavily used, but decent condition tires on for temporary usage, so that saved me a lot of money, so we are still on for this Fri-Monday! Now I am organizing stuff, I have a rubbermaid tote that's usually used as a chuck box, so I ought to be able to consolidate some gear into that tote, and save space by putting the tote on the roof basket; possibly along with a small cooler, but we shall see how much it makes worse for mileage lol. My parents do have an ancient mostly waterproof Sears X-Cargo roof box, which can use the same mounting straps that the basket uses, but last time I used it, it really cut mileage down on the previous car I had... not sure how bad it would be on the Sportage..

24. DrunkenMarmot

Blog Posts:
    Any of the folks that scouted the campground know if there was cell signal there? (specifically Verizon)

ArmyMacE, NevadaBlue and Staleym like this.
  25. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    Hey there. No, there is no Cell coverage. If your coming in from the north, make your calls from Estacada. You can probably call further south on Highway 224, yet I don't know where you lose coverage. I don't know where coverage ends coming from the south and east. I believe there may be coverage at Timothy Lake on the way in from the east, I could be very wrong on that though. In an emergency, the Ripplebrook Store has a phone that is not for public use but they won't deny an emergency. A cell call can be made from High Rock Camp above Roaring River Wilderness at the top of FA 58 (SE corner of High Rock Quadrangle Map). That spot is about 20 miles and 45 minutes from Raab and is at 4400-4600 ft. elevation and snow levels are forecast to be between 5000 and 6500 ft. for the weekend. Gorgeous view of Wy'east (Mt. Hood) from there.

DSCN0374.JPG

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  26. Red Yeti

Blog Posts:
    What?

No cell coverage?? :eek:No interwebs? :eek:How will we survive?

Gonna need to seriously rethink this thing.......

:44:

Ok, I'm still coming....

See you there.
    ;)

DF Bob, Skeptiksks, ArmyMacE and 2 others like this.
  27. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    No cell coverage... deal breaker. @Beach Hiker has cell coverage at the ocean view camp.

LOL, what kind of cells do you want me to bring? I planned on bringing quite a few pig cells and some cow cells and chicken cells. (pork and chicken tamales for the pot luck and a meatloaf if I don’t eat it on the way.)

My poor abused truck is packed. Everything including the kitchen sink. Forgot some trade blanket items but I am too tired to care now. Is anyone bringing a canoe or jon boat so we can get around in the camp? Looks like monsoons for the weekend. o_O

All I have to do now is drag my old body out to the truck at O-dawn-thirty tomorrow and remember the last of the little things on the way out and start driving. I should be spending the night in Madras and driving in from there on Friday morning. Hope I can find my way through the maze of roads to get there.

28. Bill Siegle

Bill Siegle Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I did not have a signal there with Sprint.

Beach Hiker, ArmyMacE and NevadaBlue like this.
  29. DrunkenMarmot

Blog Posts:
    Was just checking for the wife's sake... cattle being delivered Friday, shouldn't be any issues. No signal means I won't have to charge my phone for 3 days... almost packed

30. Red Yeti

Blog Posts:
    Just funnin' friend...:)

31. Red Yeti

Blog Posts:
    Safe travels Ken!

32. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    I’m glad you asked. I was actually hoping (as much as I hate phones) that there would be service. I hate to be out of touch with home for several days. Oh well.

Thanks Paul. ;)

Staleym, ArmyMacE and Red Yeti like this.
  33. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Locked and Loaded. Now, if I get there and find out I forgot my pillow, I'm going back up 20 feet from the biggest tree I can find and run right in to it. ...better go check that now....

Staleym, ArmyMacE and Red Yeti like this.
  34. DF Bob

DF Bob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    POTENTIAL DISASTER. I found out this evening that I may have to work Saturday and next week. For any former Fed or State bureaucrats reading this, I almost apologize but not quite. The dam I am supervising has dewatering wells that are being abandon, and there is a requirement for a qualified person to observe this. The requirements are being interpreted by "agencies" in a literal sense, that would be the equivalent of being an astronaut in order to qualify for astronaut training. Idiotic and anal at best. At this moment, I am the ONLY person from a 100 person "pool" we have that is "qualified" to do this work (an I don't meet the requirements or barely so! LOL). But, if we can't get anyone else on line, I HAVE to be here Saturday and next week. Otherwise, I'm mostly packed and ready. I will have to work late Friday so may not be there as early as hoped Sat, but if I can get free, I will be there. (with a canoe, Ken!) If not Woody, my deal still stands! Will PM.

Hope to see you all Saturday. I will update status as I determine what is happening here so at least Saturday arrivals may know my status.

Bob

Staleym, NevadaBlue and Red Yeti like this.
  35. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    With less than 48 hours to go; theres been a change in my rsvp, the sister in law can't make it.. oh well, the wife and I will still go, it just means we don't have to worry as much about gear space!!! :D

36. NevadaBlue

Blog Posts:
    I hope you can make it Bob.

Staleym and ArmyMacE like this.
  37. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    Ken, If a Family Emergency comes up, have your wife or son call the Ripplebrook Store at (503) 834-2322. I'm sure they can get a daytime message to you, and if needed, I can get you to cell service within less than an hour.

NevadaBlue, ArmyMacE and Beach Hiker like this.
  38. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    Also, Clackamas County Sheriff's Office @ (503) 655-8211 is their non-emergency number, Tell your family to remember Raab Campground.

NevadaBlue and ArmyMacE like this.
  39. Northwest Axe

Blog Posts:
    @NevadaBlue I love Madras! Used to go there twice a year. Lake Billy Chinook is amazing to go and see if you get a chance : )

NevadaBlue, ArmyMacE and Staleym like this.
  40. Northwest Axe

Blog Posts:
    Looks like I'm a go for Saturday ! Brother in law and dad coming with me!
    Gonna be bringing a couple axes/heads and a brush axe if anyone is interested let me know since I'll only be there for Saturday. Also if anyone is looking for something specific let me know and I'll see what I have : )

NevadaBlue, BigHat, ArmyMacE and 3 others like this.
  41. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    PM Sent. Looking way forward to sharing company around the bright yellow flame!

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  42. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    Tomorrow!! Let the Good Times Roll!

43. MtHoodDave

MtHoodDave Tracker

Blog Posts:
    How's the road to the campground? My truck is out of commission right now and my daily driver doesn't have much in the way of ground clearance.

NevadaBlue, ArmyMacE and Staleym like this.
  44. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    Paved, two lanes or better all the way to the campground entrance! In the campground itself, it is well maintained gravel. Daily driver won't have any problems at all! Looking forward to meeting you!

NevadaBlue, ArmyMacE and CamoDeafie82 like this.
  45. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Skills Practitioner Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I need to finish this up so I can get packed... I have been bad lately about packing up last minute. It seems especially true every time there is a large get together.

015425F7-29E0-47E1-93FB-A4A1D9BE5292.jpeg

10 bow drill friction fire sets made in various diameters and thickness. A few other oddities in the small basket.

I still need to harvest up some bow materials...

E5CB646F-1ECF-463B-9FC4-20AC6F294933.jpeg

Here’s your sign...

404532F8-330C-40FD-B9C9-730B15FE9637.jpeg

Finish packing... Print off map directions... grab ice... fill water containers up... fuel up truck... what else is there?

Thanks,

Jarrod

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  46. BigHat

BigHat Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

I have the exact same problem. I was supposed to pack last weekend, then yesterday.... now it'll be a rush tomorrow

NevadaBlue, Staleym and ArmyMacE like this.
  47. Northwest Axe

Blog Posts:
    If anyone is interested I can bring a small bucket of rail road spikes to hand out for projects : )

aaronu, BigHat, NevadaBlue and 2 others like this.
  48. Waldeinsamkeit Woodcraft

Blog Posts:
    See y'all tomorrow morning should be up there by 10

49. BigDaddyHoss

BigDaddyHoss Tracker Pack #34 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Off work and packing. Head out in the AM. Figure to be there 4-6pm. Happy day

50. Staleym

Blog Posts:
    I was going to pack yesterday and shop today. Got delayed so just about finished shopping. Going to pick up firewood in a few minutes and pack tonight.:rolleyes:

Bring 'em! :dblthumb:
    If you arrive before 2:00 pm Friday, go to the quarry across the river just past the camp. Take first right immediately at the far end of the bridge. I'm trying to be there before noon.

Tomorrow!