First impressions: Real Steel Bushcraft Folder

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Roamer, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Roamer

Roamer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Recently got one of these and I've had it out on the trail a few times, so here are some first impressions.

Two versions of this knife are available, one with a thumbstud and one without (called the "Free" model). I got the latter at a price of around $55:

[​IMG]

Overall: Made in China. If you can see past that part, it's a robust and well-made knife. Quality seems superb, nice fit/finish, D2 blade is perfectly centered and operates smoothly. G10 scales with red liners on top of full steel liners. Lanyard hole. Comes with a decent nylon belt sheath. Lots of similarities to the Koster Bushcraft Folder for a fraction of the price.

Blade: The scandi grind is well executed and uniform, with a slight convex at the cutting edge. Comes scary sharp. No signs of deformation or chipping in use so far. Seems to hold its edge well. Spine has a nice crisp edge for striking a firesteel. Locks open confidently with no play. Pivot is adjustable.

Ergo: very comfortable handle, fills the hand well. Might actually be too big for somebody with small hands. The finish on the scales is very grippy without being abrasive. The liner lock is flush with the handle, which makes it comfortable in use but difficult to operate with gloves on. No pocket clip. It's a large and heavy folder, so you'll want a sheath. I made my own (more on that later) but the nylon sheath it comes with is fine. I could do without the jimping on the spine, but some may like that.

[​IMG]

Summary: Amazing value for around $55. Very pleased so far and we'll see how it holds up to some more hard use.

2. Virgil Grey

Virgil Grey Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Boy that is a dumb name.

Keeps reminding me of that Robot Boxing movie.. with huge jackman. Impressive looking quality.. though I have never understood a folder for camp use outside of very thin blades like opinels that can literally separate sheets of wood.

Coryphene, Roamer and Skeptiksks like this.
  3. Sinjin

Sinjin Firebrand Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have been curious about the real steal knives for a while. Never considered the folders, but the fixed blades look pretty sweet! With that said< thats not a bad looking knife there! nice review.

Coryphene, DomC and Roamer like this.
  4. Michael OD

Michael OD Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wish it wasn't made in china :(

Roamer likes this.
  5. PeterPNL

PeterPNL Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I don’t like that idea either, but most things you own are made in china. Even that smartphone you are holding now ;)

Michael OD and Roamer like this.
  6. Michael OD

Michael OD Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't own a smart phone :cool:

Gii shi kan dug likes this.
  7. Ascham

Ascham Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good looking knife, let us know how it holds up. I prefer a folding knife for most of my outings since I am not a hardcore guy.