1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

First Paiute Deadfall Trap Build

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by melbolt65, Nov 30, 2016.

1. melbolt65

melbolt65 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Decided that out of all the wilderness skills I've practiced so far, food procurement would probably prove to be my biggest challenge. I decided to start practicing various traps to remedy this, starting with a Paiute Deadfall.

There are probably more efficient ways to build this but I wanted to trial and error my way through my first set because I think that's where you learn a lot about what to do and what not to do. So I struggled for a while and little by little diagnosing what might make it better. Finally I got it to work, and it was extremely sensitive.

Practiced using a package that came in the mail today to simulate a rock, since I'm just doing this in my garage for now, had enough weight to it to be effective for this test run.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now for a dramatic video of it in action.

Pointers and comments welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Holmesmade, Deji, rsnurkle and 11 others like this.
  2. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Did you eat the rat or just waste it? :)

Looks pretty good to me. I've snared and made other kinds of traps but never tried this one...yet.

melbolt65 likes this.
  3. Scratchthejeepguy

Scratchthejeepguy Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Nice job!
    I made my very first one this summer during Wolfcri's Trial By Fire GAW. I used a big, heavy, flat stone, and it worked great although I never actually baited it because I didn't want to catch anything. Since then, I've caught my cat under a laundry basket, and my Pomeranian under a toy box lid in my living room. My kids think it's awesome too! I highly suggest that everyone who likes to make stuff, build one of these. They are fun!

By the way, my pets still love me.

4. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
    So I am not the only one that is mean to their pets! This brought a BIG evil grin to my face thinking about the possibilities ... errr I mean PRACTICE I could be getting!!!

BalsamFur and melbolt65 like this.
  5. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That video was great. This is a skill that I need to learn as well. Nice work @melbolt65 !

melbolt65 likes this.
  6. melbolt65

melbolt65 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't like to take a life unless it was for a purpose, it was a bit rubbery for my taste though.

Haha, that's hilarious, my cats would be very easy to catch, they will do anything for a treat, i will have to try that. I also though about setting a box up in the backyard and trying to live catch a squirrel or chipmunk for practice.

Thanks! give it a go, it's pretty fun to do.

rsnurkle and NWPrimate like this.
  7. Badey

Badey Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Well done! I really need to learn trap-making skills!

Thanks for posting this!

NWPrimate and melbolt65 like this.