First time gun buyer and..... Ugh...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Lassmanac, Aug 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Lassmanac

Lassmanac Man Enough to be a Girl Scout Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    After months of research, renting dozens of handgun to find one that fits me, I put on layaway a CZ P10C while I wait for my 30 day residency requirement to pass.

Marking aways days as they pass of the calendar, i order a range bag, cleaning gear, ear and eye pro, etc... Etc ..

Finally the day comes! I'm 4th in line at the gun shop. Fellas doing their paperwork, background checks, and walking out with various forms of pew to enjoy

My turn. Lady brings out my new P10C for me to drool over. I fill in the online forms.... A few minutes pass by.... My status shows SUBMITTED for a few minutes. "No worries," the lady says. A few more minutes... My status finally changes.... To "IN REVIEW."

I reluctant left the shop after 90 minutes. Two emails and 3 calls to the shop today and no change.

The lady at the shop said she's only seen this one other time. Have any of you guys experienced this? I'm on pins and needles over here.

2. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:

Gee. Where I live no waiting period and no residency requirements. It does get pretty cold in the winter...

3. 08H3

08H3 God, Family and Freedom Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nope, here its proceed delay or deny. Mines always been proceed.

4. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I got "delay" once but it was cleared up pretty quickly. I'm in the US, though, no idea how things work in Jordan!

5. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Where I am, a cwp ("shall issue state") lets you just fill out the required form and leave with your new gun. Same day, same half hour. America. What a country!

6. Lassmanac

Blog Posts:
    I just moved back to the States and am in Virginia.

7. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had noticed that earlier, too - location in Jordan. I see you just changed it. But, perhaps your time living there popped a flag for a double-check? IDK.

Torrin, WILL, Plainsman and 14 others like this.
  8. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ah, I see! I wouldn't worry, sometimes you get delayed.

9. Manzi1

Manzi1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    They have to check universally, no answering the mail on Mars.

10. tch1718a

tch1718a Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've had a purchase denied and approved on appeal within an hour, using my carry permit as id, and my departmental id as back up.

It's not unusual to go through that occasionally. Often it's related to a similar ssn, name or address that pops a flag for them to look at the sale closer.

11. Teeps

Teeps Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Do you have a common name? My friend gets delayed all the time. His name is literally John Smith. Maybe someone with the same name as you isn't allowed to own one and they are dotting i's and crossing t's

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  12. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    First time gun buyer says it all to me. You are new and just in the system from a foreign country. Give it a bit. Once it clears buy another. Then when that one clears yet another and another. Make sure those guys get to know you. You don’t want to be a stranger to them. Bwahahahaahahaha...

13. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    In nj ,have seen approval delayed because of unpaid motor vehicle tickets.

14. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I was dinied once in CT because a fellow in Bridport had the same name, so the salesman said to just come back tomorrow and try again. I was not happy but it worked.

15. hlydon

hlydon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wow. I’m annoyed that I have to apply for a concealed carry permit which is super easy to do except I need a fingerprint check and wait a few days before I can pick up the ID.

Having to wait to buy a gun because of possibly a faulty system would be even more annoying.

My last gun purchase was essentially walk in-walk out.

16. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Every time I buy a firearm I have to wait,,, in Minnesota, maybe elsewhere, if a certain number of days pass without a response from the powers that be, the sale proceeds.

17. rbinhood

rbinhood Scout

Blog Posts:
    There's a delay in getting through an airport and onto a plane, but we put up with it in the name of safety. Given the recent mass shootings, I'd rather see a delay to make sure a gun doesn't wind up in the hands of someone who shouldn't have it. I am not suggesting you should not have the gun you bought, but be patient, and I am sure if everything checks out, your purchase will be approved. You are dealing with a government agency, and sometimes they move slow, or things get gummed up in the system.

18. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought a S&W SD9 VA yesterday from Academy ($299). Bought it on line with store pick up. Took about 45 minutes cuz they were training two noobies. My CHL cuts through a lot of waiting red tape. My son had a purchase delayed for a week on a similar purchase. His CHL was delayed for months due to a paperwork snag our gum’mint Officials were too busy to tell him about.

19. colrbh

colrbh Scout

Blog Posts:
    I go through the delay evertime. For 30 plus yrs have kept a ccw permit. Sheriff calls and asks is this Mr Michael A .... yes...can you come in to my office? YES...Go to the court house..you are Mr Mooney..yes..we need pictures of your tattoos...OK.. basically a person with same name and 1 digit off ssn was wanted on some serious federal charges.

20. Lassmanac

Blog Posts:
    Ooooooh I didn't even think of that. There is another three other guys with my first and last name. One has a bit of a history from what I got from the googles.

21. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've never had to wait. Every gun but my first two (one of which was an out of state long gun) I've used my carry permit for the check. I also always include my SSN. Not that my name is super common, but it is somewhat infamous. Gambino.

22. Lassmanac

Blog Posts:
    I applied for my CHP within a week of arriving back in the US. Still waiting for that as well. The county I'm is is notorious for taking for.ev.errrrrr. According to the one of the guys at the local shop, even with a CHP they run a background check on every gun purchase. That surprised me a little. It used to be that if you had a valid CHP, you could walk in and walk out with a new pew whenever you wanted. Or maybe that varies from state to state.

23. Kennebago

Kennebago Scout

Blog Posts:
    Roll with the process and don't get frustrated with anybody. Most of them are just doing their jobs, and making them irritated won't help anything (not that I think you personally are doing it, but man I see it all the time in my area). Jealously guard your rights after that.

Just coming back from another country in a certain area probably has you flagged. Let the Feds do their thing.

Do something else in the meanwhile... a watched pot never boils, all that stuff.

24. Raymond Eisele

Raymond Eisele Scout

Blog Posts:
    A fellow farmer has a sister that is engaged to a fellow in special forces. When looking for a place to live, he was advised by his agency not to live in my state, new jersey. Avoid all the hassel.

25. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mine always takes 3 days.

If you have a court history of some kind, there are phone calls that have to made and such. For me, they are just old court records that never really got cleaned up. I could do it, but I'm too lazy. They are just old dockets that need to be closed out. I just wait the 3 days. I have bought lots of guns, and every damn time they have to do the work for 3 days.

I figure that if the government wants to keep wasting time and money doing the same thing time and time and time again...well, screw them. Let them keep making the same phone calls to the same people over and over, year after year. I didn't make the rules, they did. So screw them.

I even bought 3 guns in one day, and rather than do the background check on all 3 at once, I did them one at a time just to make the bureacratic g-man do three times as much work. Yes, I did. I took some small pleasure over those 3 days knowing that I was tying up 3 different FBI guys doing 3 different checks all to the same stupid courtroom officials that wouldn't have to be taking all those calls if they had done their damn job in the first place and cleared the dockets.

That's why I don't go clean up the court records, and that's why I just wait the 3 days, instead. Give those useless, incompetent SOB's something to do for 3 days.

If they ever introduce that nonsense background check for buying ammo in Massachusetts, I swear to God the first thing I am going to do is go buy about 1000 rounds of ammunition, one cartridge at a time. I'll do it. I swear I'll do it.

26. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've never had one delayed. I have seen someone delayed for a misdemeanor (may have been denied eventually idk), and one for "Non US Resident".

It should take thirty seconds for anyone, anywhere, even if at the grocery store.

27. Bushcraft and Brews

Bushcraft and Brews Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm guessing it's your residency. I've never had an issue in VA.

28. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had one delay and it took it until the next day to get cleared for me to pick up gun. The reason was it was a Black Friday purchase and the NICS was overrun with the flood of firearms purchases due to good deals across the nation that day.

29. Matthew Post

Matthew Post Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You wouldn’t like Canada. The amount of red tape to own a handgun is far from worth it for me

30. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If it's the federal background check they can delay it for three days. If they don't resolve it in three business days then there is a default proceed with the sale. There is no further delay allowed under the law then, either a proceed with the sale or denial.

31. Lassmanac

Blog Posts:
    Sooooo... I called the state patrol office. They're looking at an.... Unfortunate incident.... From 1990 making sure it wasn't a disqualifying thing.

MAD Punty, GingerBeardMan and Wasp like this.
  32. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    :33:

33. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    U need 2 move

I never wait, just buy.

34. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I used to get delayed at least half the time. Some people say it's because I used to have a security clearance. Others say it's because decades ago in college, I had a little too much fun one night and ended up spending the night in the state-funded sobering-up facility. :3

They passed some new state laws a couple years back, so now I can use my concealed carry permit in lieu of a background check, so that speeds things up nicely.

It could be that you have the same name as someone else in the same area who is a prohibited person. It could be that the bureaucrats in Martinsburg are too busy gathering 'round the water cooler to process your transfer in a timely fashion.

After some time (5 business days, I think), if the BATFE doesn't get back to your FFL, they have the option of just giving you the gun. This has only ever happened to me once (a gun I bought around Black Friday time, heh). The other times I was delayed they always got back to the FFL within the proper timeframe.

Just wait it out and don't sweat it. If you keep getting delayed every time you do a transfer in the future, you can contact the BATFE and sign some papers giving them permission to keep your info on file, and they'll issue you a "UPIN" that you can put on your 4473 form to speed things along. Assuming that your state doesn't have some option to substitute a CCW license for the background check or something.

35. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    At least he didn't mistakenly get put on the No-Fly List. :4:

36. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic

Blog Posts:
    Ive never had a 4473 called in to NICS since I've always had a cwp but when I had my FFL it wasnt uncommon to have delays, just wait it out..

MAD Punty, Lassmanac and NevadaBlue like this.
  37. Lassmanac

Blog Posts:
    My security clearance is currently being renewed, so I'm 100% positive this is being seen as an open investigation, which isn't helping expedite the process.

heldfast, Broke and MAD Punty like this.
  38. Lassmanac

Blog Posts:
    I was barely 19, hot head, not my proudest moment.

MAD Punty likes this.
  39. MAD Punty

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is what's going on with me. The sale comes up "for review" and the feds have 3 days to resolve it or the sale goes through. The G-men do nothing, and after 3 days, the sale goes through.

Lassmanac likes this.
  40. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We've all made mistakes. Hopefully this one doesn't have lasting effects.

Lassmanac likes this.
  41. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    welcome home lassmanac, please be patient. it’s discomforting how a cyber security professional with beaucoup long standing security clearances who has reliably safeguarded our nations’s secrets is having this delay, but it is what it is these days. what is unfortunately looming (enhanced background checks and red flag laws) for the red haired stepchild of our constitutional rights will likely cause more otherwise decent folks to get tripped up to no useful effect i’m afraid.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Lassmanac and MAD Punty like this.
  42. MAD Punty

Blog Posts:
    I know a local police officer that carries in the course of his duties, but cannot get an LTC as a civilian.

Lassmanac likes this.
  43. Lassmanac

Blog Posts:
    Must live in MD...

44. bluecow

bluecow Scout

Blog Posts:
    YUP. have looked into it a bit. it seems that there is a range on some form of go/no go chart of the "normal" gun buyer. if ya fall out side of this range for what ever reason then it takes longer. one of the reasons for falling outside of "normal" is to have or have had an high security clearance in the military. i have been informed that a fair amount of public safety officers have trouble also. another problem is that you are now a statistic of being denied so that X# of prohibited persons where stopped from buying a firearm. its pure horse feathers but the higher # of Xs proved how well back ground checks are working.

Lassmanac and Haggis like this.
  45. Lassmanac

Blog Posts:
    just to update, i'm still IN RESEARCH.

I have talked to VA State Police, and several offices in the city/county of my indiscretion. I've discovered that all records of my offense were deemed "not relevant" and were destroyed some years ago. VA SP said today they're hoping to end the "research" today, so hopefully we'll have a decision soon.

Midwest.Bushlore and RavenLoon like this.
  46. Gylippos

Gylippos Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm in Virginia and I always get a "delay". After 20 minutes the check goes through.
    Like someone else said, it may be your prior residence that is causing this.
    BTW, p10C is a great choice.

Lassmanac likes this.
  47. mcblade

mcblade Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I sold guns at a big store awhile back, and you had to call them in to the state agency. On two occasions the lady told me to delay the individual for a few minutes. The first one the deputies were there in less than three minutes. They escorted him away.

Midwest.Bushlore and Lassmanac like this.
  48. Lassmanac

Blog Posts:
    Yikes!!! I'm pretty sure i'm not going to get hauled off this time around, but you never know. Honestly, it feels like sitting outside the principal's office, though!

Lee C. and Midwest.Bushlore like this.
  49. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, it's pretty BS-ey when Momma Government can make you feel like criminal scum even though you did nothing wrong, innit?

Good ole government.

Lee C. and Lassmanac like this.
  50. Torrin

Torrin Pan Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Range report yet?

Lassmanac likes this.