first time tarp

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by KnOeFz, Oct 10, 2018.

1. KnOeFz

KnOeFz Scout

Blog Posts:
    My father in law had a tarp he never used, asked if we could do anything with it.
    Last sunday was the first time we set it up.
    It's pretty big, around 4.4x4.5 meters (about 14x14.5')
    Also the poles are steel and very heavy, the tarp itself is ok to carry (still a bit of a large package when folded in)

I do like the way it looks with the 'wings' (what's the name for a model like this?)
    not sure what's the best way to set it up.... tried a few things to see what worked best.
    It was very windy last Sunday so the setup with one corner up and the rest down to the ground gave most comfortable climath but little height underneath.

I'll be browsing for the ways you guys setup your tarps through the forums tonight to get some more ideas. Anyway... here's some pics...
    any tips on improving my 'tarping' skills and experience are very welcome :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. snapper

snapper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice tarp! You can ditch those poles and either tie off directly to trees of trade them out for some lighter aluminum ones. The other alternative, if you can do it where you are, is to cut poles to fit when you get to where you plan to camp. That's not always possible here in the states but you may have the luxury of being able to do that.

As for the curves in the tarp, I think they call that a catenary cut (or curve). It should allow for a tighter pitch and not be as effected by the wind. Others will probably know more so hopefully they'll chime in.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Bobsdock, MrFixIt, KnOeFz and 2 others like this.
  3. Skruffy

Skruffy Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That looks like a great tarp! If you don't see anything here on the forums, you can google 'Catenary-Cut Tarp' and find some pretty cool configurations.
    Any indication of the weight w/o the poles?

Bobsdock, MrFixIt and blind & lost like this.
  4. KnOeFz

KnOeFz Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.
    Weight is about 1.6 kg.
    Size is bigger than I estimated, 4.4x4.5 meter

Bobsdock, MrFixIt and Skruffy like this.