Fishing Kayak

Discussion in 'Paddling' started by Back Off, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Back Off

Back Off Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am thinking of getting a fishing kayak. I was originally hoping to stay under $1000.00 but That dang Feefree Lure looks tempting at a bit more. I wish they just came with the rudder system. I was also looking at the Mokens as well as offering from several other companies. I will also be using it for duck hunting most likely. I am a pretty big guy so nothing too small. I will be using it on small ponds all the way up to salmon fishing on the great lakes. Standing up would be a plus for some casting but also hunting in cattails which is why that Feelfree lure seems so tempting. The thing is at that price there are a lot of really good Kayaks out there.

Thoughts?

2. outsyder

outsyder Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been using fishing kayaks for 10+ years now. Formally I lived in the UK and going on the salt was a big deal so I ran a sit on top (Ocean Kayak Big Game Prowler - I'm a bigger dude) and loved that. BUt I emigrated and sold it, regretted it cos it would have fit in the sea-can!
    Then I got Jackson Cuda when I got over here, bought without trying it and whilst it was all tricked out, very well thought out it did not work for me, I did not like it and as I flyfish almost exclusively it was a unsuitable for that and I found it very unstable and was glad to sell it.
    Now I run a hybrid - Wilderness Systems Commander 140, and I love that. Living in the interior of BC, I have no saltwater accessible and the Commander is perfect for my needs, great as a fishing platform and paddles well. I plan on some extended trips with it too.

You are right, lots of choice out there now which I would have loved when I started out and I wish I had better access to here in the Interior. You mentioned some good boats, but if I could give you one piece of advise that I learned the hard way - try some out at a paddle day or something.
    You say you're a big guy, I am too and that IS an issue with the payload of some boats which mean less choice and bigger barges

Also don't discount some of the sit inside/hybrids too like the Commander or the Pungo (wife has one, its wicked!) or something like the Jackson Kilroy, I think Old Town do one as well.

good luck, its a grand way of getting on the water

Back Off likes this.
  3. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Remember you need to be no more than 60-65% of the max weight capacity listed if you don't want any water in your kayak. Of course I recommend you look at the Old Town Predators since I helped design them but....

crewhead05, Back Off and xrayit like this.
  4. Back Off

Blog Posts:
    But? You can PM me if you would like. I am all new to this deal.

5. hillst1

hillst1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Pelican Catch 120 is a kayak that looks like a good choice for fishing and hunting. Price is reasonable and the user reviews are very favorable. I am saving up for one myself.

6. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If I had a set budget below 1k I would look for a higher end used kayak. Many Prostaffers sale last year's boats for a good deal.....no I don't have any for sale this year. What is your weight and what water will you fish most? I can then suggest some to look at.

Back Off likes this.
  7. Back Off

Blog Posts:
    Weight is 300 and dropping steadily. I will be using it for small ponds duck hunting to the Great Lakes I hope. Probably some rivers as well. Kind of one for everything. I want to use it to exercise with as well. My son is going off to college soon so I would rather use a kayak than drag out the 18 foot I/O when fishing by myself. On big water or rivers I would be using the buddy system for sure but some of the local smaller lakes I will go at it alone. Might use it for camping as well. Camo will be a must for waterfowling. Right now I am favoring the Feelfree Lure 13.5 as I really have not found anything under 1000 that I really like but there are a lot of options out there. My budget is not set below $1000 but it would be nice. I could go maybe $1500 max but would need to wait a year to rig it up right.

8. Back Off

Blog Posts:
    Right now really looking at that Ocean Kayak Big Game Prowler II. Any thoughts on this Kayak?

Riverpirate likes this.
  9. Back Off

Blog Posts:
    Update - just ordered the brown camo OK BG Prowler II. 2-7 days is what it said for delivery. I will post up again when its delivered!

Mitch Ray likes this.
  10. Mitch Ray

Mitch Ray Scout

Blog Posts:
    Congrats man, hopefully it's a great boat for you. Looking forward to seeing lots of fish and duck photos from her!

Back Off likes this.
  11. wingnuts

wingnuts Guide

Blog Posts:
    It's a seaworthy hull for sure! I almost bought an OK prowler 15 but like the tarpons better. I don't paddle anymore, I own a hobie, you might look at a used outback?

Back Off likes this.
  12. mjh

mjh Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Congrats Back Off! Looks like a heck of a kayak to get you on to the water. If yea got some time during the week after it comes in give a holler if yea need a paddling partner, I've a old town pack canoe that I paddle around in when I want to go solo....a test run on Crooked Lake, Rice Chain of Lakes, or down the Rum would be fun!

Back Off likes this.
  13. Back Off

Blog Posts:
    That would be fun. I slight....slight change as I found out the Kayak I ordered was now back ordered but I found the same one on ebay from a different place in stock for $14 more after shipping but it came with a lot of accessories lie a paddle, straps, rod holders, and that anchor deal and it will get here prior to my week of PTO. I will give you a shout when I can. The Rum looks like a great place to paddle.

Mitch Ray likes this.