Fiskar x15

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by A Seedy Lot, Jul 6, 2018.

1. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Camping season is upon us and I am tired of splitting wood with a Husqvarna multipurpose axe. We bring most of our wood to car camp so I do not need to cut down trees just split rounds. I looked at available options and for the money I could not resist trying a Fiskar.

I have previously owned a Gerber Freescape. I really liked the axe but felt it was a little small and short of handle for splitting and a little to thick in the bit for chopping. I started carrying the multi purpose axe when heading into the woods as it cuts down dead trees and splits, even if it is not the best at either task the weight and handle length make it idea for carrying it into the winter woods for fire needs. I gave the Freescape to my father in law for a next to stove axe and he loves it.

The Fiskar comes in either a chopping,x15, or splitting ,x17, model. Both have 23.5 inch handle. The splitting model has very thick cheeks and does not look ideal for my needs. The Freescape has a chopping head and it split a lot of wood us so i decided on the x15 since it had a similar head shape.

There was a round of Larch in our parking lot and took a swing, the rounds split apart not problem even with the numerous knots. I handed the axe to my wife and as she picked it up she started smiling and as the axe head hit the wood she sighed in delite, "Easy as cutting a birthday cake with an awesome knife", she exclaimed.

20180706_174810.jpg

I weighed the head of the axe.

20180706_182744.jpg

Comparison between Multi Purpose axe, Fiskar X15 and Gransfor bruk small splitting axe.

20180706_195755.jpg

20180706_195906.jpg

My wife was just looking out the window and commenting on the split wood in the drive way and how she is less concerned when I am gone in the winter as she likes the new axe so much.

Bobsdock, J. Pierce, JasonJ and 14 others like this.
  2. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Scout

Blog Posts:
    Forgot to mention, my son was also very impressed with the Fiskar and scrounged up 34 dollars so I can order him his own.

pab1, central joe, Sandcut and 4 others like this.
  3. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I have a 28" chopping, and have also been impressed by it! :)

As well as using a 36"splitting quite a bit, that's very effective.

pab1, central joe, Sandcut and 5 others like this.
  4. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I honestly can't recall ever reading anything even remotely negative about these axes. To the contrary, actually.
    The Fiskars lineup has made many of us who love old steel and hickory to grudgingly admit that these newfangled orange plastic handled choppers are simply outstanding at doing what an axe is supposed to do.

Bobsdock, pab1, central joe and 6 others like this.
  5. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You guys and your plastic handles. The shame of it.......

Uh...but, say I have a friend that is wanting to try one out..... where is a good place to order one from? :)

6. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, amazon...

7. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a great axe! I have several of their (Gerber/Fiskars) hatchets and have been very happy with them.

Bobsdock and RobOz like this.
  8. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've sharpened some beat-to-all-hell Fiskars axes for buddies and am always amazed at how good that steel is.
    Whatever they're doing, they do it well.
    My bros, on the other hand, should buy some chainsaws.
    On second thought, maybe not...

9. flip888

flip888 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've broken one of these before but honestly it was probably my fault it broke. I was harder on that hatchet than any other tool I've owned. When it broke I told Fiskars exactly what happened and told them it was my fault and they sent me a replacement for my 10+ year old hatchet anyway. I made a thread about it here a while ago.

The steel in my new one is harder than the last one I had, maybe a tad bit too hard as it's a little chippy at the angles I usually sharpen a hatchet to. But other than that it's a great performing high value tool with an outstanding warranty.

Bobsdock, Sandcut and Ptpalpha like this.
  10. Kyle363

Kyle363 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had the 27 or 28 inch version for 15 years now or more never had and issue with it. I've seen one break but that was purely from abuse. In the last year or so I've made the transition to restoring vintage axes and after swinging them I probably wouldn't go back to my fiskars. Mostly because the feel and flex of a good thin handle beats the fiskars. I still use the 36 inch splitting axe all the time though. Overall they are a good budget/beater axe that can take a lot of abuse and they preform well.

Bobsdock likes this.
  11. MontanaMarine

MontanaMarine Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like the X15. Nice handy size with good chopping power.

I keep an X15 and a Silky Katanaboy 500 behind the seat in the truck. With those onboard I don't feel the need to bring along a chainsaw anymore for a backcountry excursion. The axe/saw is enough to clear a tree from the road if needed.

12. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I’m not a fan of the plastic handles either but as I have learned, when you’re camping with a group it’s better to bring one of these than your $150 sweetheart axe.

The group is going to use it so might as well lend something that won’t break your heart when you see them miss and hit the rock or chip the handle!

One of my friends chipped (severely) the handle of my GB small forest axe while hammering in a big steel tent stake. He missed the head but connected with the wood and took a big chunk out of it!

I should have got a medal for self control for not to exploding!!, and then realized I brought the wrong type of axe to a group trip!!

This is when the fiskars is way better than a Gransfors!

Bobsdock and Luzster like this.