Fiskars vs GB lol

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Poeschel, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Poeschel

Poeschel Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not really, I’ve never had a high quality hatchet. I do own a fiskars though and really like it. Need to put a tennis wrap on the handle cause it gets a little slick, but splits really well. My question is, what things would I notice from using a higher quality hatchet? I’ve used high end knives but generally go back to my Buck 102. Thoughts?

pab1, Madwell, Mr. Tettnanger and 3 others like this.
  2. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have an old Gerber hatchet 20 years old maybe, (looks like the Fiskers) and more recently a couple of GBs.

The GB are visually appealing, the Fiskers are not.
    The Fiskers are cheap, the GB are not.
    The GB holds an edge better.
    The Fiskers splits better than a Wildlife hatchet.
    The GB is easier to control when carving.
    The GB handles are more comfortable, to me.
    You won't cry like a baby if you lose a Fiskers.
    The Fiskers can live a hard life of abuse and improper care.
    I really like my GB stuff, but my old Gerber has traveled from Canada to Central America with me, and I never died because I was in need of a better hatchet.

3. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Not all high end knives are high end quality, and the term "high end" is subjective, a $40.00 Condor Kephart is high end when compared to a $12.00 Mora, neither are high end when compared to a $100.00 RAT-4, and none of the above will hold a candle to a Beck, Gossman, Adventure Sworn, or Stilwell custom made knife.
    If you have tried truly high quality/high end knives and prefer a Buck 102 woodsman, stick with the Fiskars, you'll probably never miss the difference. :58:

pab1, Lichen, Mr. Tettnanger and 6 others like this.
  4. seasonofthewoods

seasonofthewoods Wanderer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a total of 5 GFB and I love them all obviously and they all have their intended uses.
    I would like a Fiskars. Just because even though I got 8+ custom knives as well I often grab my Mora because I can put her to use and not feel bad like I'm beating on a 300.00 dollar tool. Sometimes you can' judge a tool always to cost.

Anywho just buy a GFB and don't look back. You won' regret it

pab1, Madwell and central joe like this.
  5. rescout

rescout Scout

Blog Posts:
    I hold my Fiskars hatchet in high esteem. I have other hatchets too, including a GB I've had for twenty years. I like them all. The Fiskars is not liked by some, but I think it punches above its weight.

6. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just recently I was at the Arizona camp out and someone brought a Gerber 24" axe and we were all blown away by how well it split. That thing is so awesome I came home and ordered my own.
    IMG_20171030_160026_776.jpg

pab1, Madwell, ra2bach and 3 others like this.
  7. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Fiskars split VERY well! I keep a Fiskars hatchet by my firewood to split off kindling. My GB SmFA cross cuts much better being less of a wedge shape though. But I'd never feel "under-axed" with a Fiskars. But please, apples to apples. I'd never take a Fiskars splitting maul in place of a felling axe.

pab1 and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  8. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I’ve given up on GB and have gone to vintage Plumb Hatchets instead. In my opinion, they are better for how I roll. Save your money.

pab1 and Gulosapien like this.
  9. cbrianroll

cbrianroll Scout

Blog Posts:
    I thought this was gonna make fun of my fiskars lol. I did finally step up though and bought a husqavarna hatchet.....that about broke my bank hahaha. I really enjoy working on things so I think I'll be looming for older hatchets to clean up and rehang. Would very much like a plumb!

pab1 likes this.
  10. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

^^^For me, I think this Sums it up very well^^^

I have a Fiskars Hatchet, and their X-15 Axe.

I bought my X-15 first. It came highly recommended from Rocky Mountain Bushcraft. He had an extra, and made me a smoking great deal. I think it cost him almost as much to ship it as I paid for it. I had low expectations.

Much to my surprise, it does a nice job. A very nice job. So much so, I bought the samll hatchet. It too is a great tool.

For me this wasn't a financial decision. I already have a shed wall ful of GBs, Wetterling, Counsil Tool and Plumbs. A great tools in their own right.

But what I get with the Fiskars Tools is low maintenance, hard working, unassuming tools.
    Neither my axe, nor my hatchet, has been indors since I received them. The handles haven't been oiled, the heads haven't been treated in any way.

They aren't directly out in the weather. Usually residing under a tarp. But they get wet, snowed on, and used regularly. No fuss, no muss.

The live out in the woods. If someone steals them. Os A critter eats the handle. I will be sad, but it won't be life altering. They're tools. I use them. I use all my other axes, and hatchets too. But much more care is required.

I have seen photos of Fiskars with broken handles. I would wager. At least some of them are the result of graphic misuse. By allowing water to accumulate and freeze in the hollow handles.

I have also beeen told you should sharpen them from the factory. Because the thin edge can be a bit brittle at first. I did that with both, no issues after that.

Are they as pretty as a GB, or Wetterlings. Certainly not. But for a young bushcrafter with a family to support. They could very well be a great choice. Or for any value minded Bushcrafter really.

One can own a axe, a hatchet, and a splitting maul for the admission ticket to the GB club.

I may add more later, but it's off to work for now.
    LV,

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    pab1, Madwell, NattyBo and 2 others like this.
  11. Poeschel

Poeschel Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks guys, this helps make make my decision to stick with the fiskars

pab1, LostViking and J. Pierce like this.
  12. Kyle363

Kyle363 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had my fiskars for 15 years or so and its still going strong. I've put it though everything and its been abused a lot. I have two Gransfors one has been sent in for replacement after chipping out during use. The other one I haven't had a chance to use much but I feel like I baby them much more than a fiskars. The performance of the GB is way better than fiskars it also looks better and feels better in the hand. I just like that I can beat the snot out of the fiskars and not have to worry about it.

pab1 and J. Pierce like this.
  13. Crooked Penguin

Crooked Penguin Scout

Blog Posts:
    The biggest difference you would notice assuming you'd get a model that's similar in size and weight as the Fiskars you have is edge-retention and --strength. Other then that it's mostly a matter of personal preference, some of us are happy to pay a premium price for a classic look & the use of more traditional materials and construction while others simply don't give a crap.

Both are great tools either way.

pab1 likes this.
  14. Kyle363

Kyle363 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've recently been restoring vintage axes and those are now my preference over GB or Fiskars.

pab1 and Coryphene like this.
  15. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    you want to be impressed? try that same head on the 28" handle -- https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-375581-1001-Chopping-Axe-28-Inch/dp/B00EOVRX06

I like the Fiskars axes because the head is a solid piece with the handle molded around it. there is no eye so I can use the poll to pound as hard as I want and it won't deform like some vintage axes can. the entire head is hardened so there is little to no deformation or mushrooming, even when using metal splitting wedges.

the 23.5" is my chainsaw axe but the 28" is my camp axe...

pab1 and Sandcut like this.
  16. Jacob

Jacob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I really like the fiskars. One advantage I haven’t heard mentioned yet is that you can keep one tucked under a truck seat in blistering heat and not have to worry about the handles coming loose. I use an estwing for a truck axe for the same reason but am tired of the butter soft steel, I think a switch is in order.

I don’t think the GB steel or heat treatment is any better and the profiles are just different. The fiskars make better splitters and hammers and don’t lag far behind for rough carving and chopping.

Personally I’m done with GB and estwing but I’d still buy a fiskars.

pab1, J. Pierce and Sandcut like this.
  17. mr c

mr c Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I understand not wanting a gb if you split a lot.
    Not profiled to excel in splitting.
    Still love my gb's though. Part vanity i guess

pab1, Jacob and Sandcut like this.
  18. Zunga

Zunga Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've got the gerber hatchet with the bush saw in the handle. Hatchet head is bit light. The saw is a wicked thing. It looks like the devils own bread knife. It will open you hand or finger real quick if it slips. It does eat thru wood like it was butter. The handle has taken all sorts of abuse and isn't even scratched. I got it ages ago when they were $40. Amazon.ca has them around $65. I would not pay $65 for it. For $40 You can live with the few short comings. I've lost all trust in fiskars. To often I'll see a chain store selling a fiskar brand product that doesn't exist on fiskars corporate site. I think they whore the name out on lesser quality products. So they can let the store deal with any warranties!

pab1 likes this.
  19. Sandcut

Sandcut 3% Neanderthal Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Please support your claim in the last few sentences. I just went to their website and I see every model shown that I've seen in various big box stores. I would be curious to know what other products are being marketed that aren't shown on the website.

pab1 and J. Pierce like this.
  20. Zunga

Zunga Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've yet to find anything on the Canadian tire website branded fiskars that's on fiskars website

pab1 likes this.
  21. Zunga

Zunga Scout

Blog Posts:
    And homedepot.ca. I'll admit I did a search on fiskars for the class of item. Example axe or hatchet. But it gave no result. If they are there then they don't make it easy to find. I also had a family friend who built sangstercraft boats Canadian tire approached him to produce a line for them but cut corner on a budget. He said no! That was my suspision here!

pab1 and Sandcut like this.
  22. Jacob

Jacob Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, I didn’t express myself clearly. I love my GB axes but I also enjoy fixing up and hanging axe heads. I think I can get the same quality and performance for a lot less money that way. So it’s hard to justify spending more and depriving myself of the opportunity to tinker at the same time.

The estwing axes are a different story though. They make ok hammers and are hard to break, I’ll leave it at that.

pab1 likes this.
  23. Sandcut

Blog Posts:

I just looked at Canadian Tire's site and saw what they had and it's all on Fiskar's site, even those goofy Clearing Hooks. http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/fiskars-clearing-hook-tool-18-in-0575149p.html#srp

pab1 likes this.
  24. Zunga

Zunga Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sandcut and pab1 like this.
  25. Swampyankee101

Swampyankee101 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I know what you mean, my GB hunters axe gets some baby treatment. while my Collins boys axe and estwing camp hatchet get beat down.

pab1 likes this.
  26. cbrianroll

cbrianroll Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's my main thought on expensive equipment. Will I use it or just dust it and and ooh ahh over it. Im hard on everything....poor thinking of get it done faster has made me lazy. I tend to buy decent stuff tbough...do the homework. Since joining here I've learned I've never profiled my axes properly. Weird...next firewood seasons gonna be a breeze.

pab1 likes this.
  27. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have several Gerber/Fiskars hatchets in a few different sizes. The only "big name" axe I have is a Wetterlings Les Stroud Bushman. Its very nice but the majority of the time my Gerber/Fiskars go with me. As others have mentioned they are the Mora's of the hatchet/axe world (I know there's a Mora hatchet but I like these better).

A couple years ago I used my 14" hatchet to take down two snags that were too close to camp. I wasn't planning to cut down trees on that trip or I would have brought something bigger. Both were leaning toward camp (to the right in the pic) but fell right where I wanted them. The hatchet did a great job!

Adv Outing 9 Overnight Reflector Smoker 051.JPG

You can see in the background how close they were to camp and why I felt the need to chop them down. Either one coming down on my shelter would not have been good.

Adv Outing 9 Overnight Reflector Smoker 096.JPG

I counted on the same hatchet to build a framed shelter as well as do all the prep for and to light a split-wood fire for a Bushclass lesson.

A-Outing 1 Framed Shelter Splitwood Hatchet 031.JPG

A-Outing 1 Framed Shelter Splitwood Hatchet 042.JPG

A-Outing 1 Framed Shelter Splitwood Hatchet 050.JPG

A-Outing 1 Framed Shelter Splitwood Hatchet 044.JPG

A-Outing 1 Framed Shelter Splitwood Hatchet 060.JPG

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 4:07 AM
    Sandcut and Coryphene like this.
  28. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    Everyone knows that a plastic tarp is just as good as a solid roof over your head to protect you from falling trees and angry grizzly bears!

LostViking and pab1 like this.
  29. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    :D:dblthumb:

LostViking and Coryphene like this.
  30. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    This right here I can accept.

As the former President of the "Wood and Steel Only" axe club, my motto was "I'll never use one of those stupid plastic axes". This was non-negotiable.

However, as the Fates would have it, the opportunity to buy and use an axe with a "Pollyrazzmatazz" handle presented itself and I learned, as I have throughout my life, thst I was simply wrong in my beliefs. I have since become an Evangelist, spreading the Gospel of Fiskars and the Salvation of the Plastic Axe.

However, if the opportunity to acquire a Gransfors presented itself, I'm not so much of a zealot that I wouldn't seize the moment. I'm not crazy!

Just do me a favor, honestly try using a Fiskars/Gerber axe sometime. You owe it to yourself.

pab1 and LostViking like this.