Flashlight shopping

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Broke, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Broke

Broke I found my hat! LB #1 of 42 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have carried a streamlight stylus AAA for years, it works great, has a nice tight cone and a decent throw for what it is. I bought a Thrunite archer 2a V3 and it is ok.
    The thrunite is very very bright, but has a very wide cone and not a very tight cone. I also don't like that it is AA as my headlamps use aaa, my keychain light is aaa and I get aaa batteries as a supply for work. This light is a thing I use at work.
    So I am looking for a aaa light, with a very long and tight throw.
    Does anyone have any suggestions in the 190+ lumen with a long, long throw? The tighter the cone the better as I am looking at tracks and or switches from far away and want a very focused view.
    Budget is a thing as I am not independently wealthy... say under $100

2. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Beach Hiker and Broke like this.
  3. 1066vik

1066vik Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    streamlight protac 2AAA?
    130 lumen, 70m reach

Redbearcat7, Beach Hiker and Broke like this.
  4. Broke

Blog Posts:
    Just found that, looking at it now.

Beach Hiker likes this.
  5. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Look at the Microstream USB, just charge it with your phone charger or battery bank. 50 and 250 lumen modes. And it puts it out there. Basically an AAA with lithium battery and self contained charger. You can buy a spare battery to have charged if you need it.
    20181223_222035.jpg

Or look at my review/thoughts (in the electronics subforum) on the Lumintop IYPO7 AAA with three modes. Or the 2x AAA model with 200 lumens (cree) or 130 lumens nichia.
    L2.jpg

I like my AAA Maratac Brass too. Its a twist head though.
    20190825_172458.jpg

All AAA lights
    L4.jpg

6. Broke

Blog Posts:
    I ordered the streamlight, been happy with my stylus for the past 9 years or so.
    We shall see how it compares.

7. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Which one?

8. Broke

Blog Posts:
    The protac 2aaa, I have a limitless supply of aaa batteries and like the slim profile.

9. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Good light.

HoustonB77 and Broke like this.
  10. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Spend 10 bucks and be done --- Olite i3E EOS

11. JasonJ

JasonJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good light.. that would have been my first try as well. You'll never know, regardless of the recommendations, until you actually try "x" light and see for yourself.

I've been shockingly impressed by this tiny light. Nice tight beam for what it is.

Broke likes this.
  12. Bassic

Bassic Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    streamlight USB top notch !

Broke likes this.
  13. Broke

Blog Posts:
    I have 2 of those, not enough throw for what I want.

14. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a big "high-end" flashlight guy, but I might try one of these out for $30. thanks!

Wasp, Broke and JasonJ like this.
  15. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been carrying one of these from LL Bean for about 3-4 months as
    part of my EDC.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/121...06864&feat=506864-GN3&csp=f&attrValue_0=Black

I realize that it is AA, but it is probably one of the greatest flashlights I've ever owned and I intend to buy several more the next time I go anywhere near their outlet.

Three settings for 160, 55, and 7 lumens. And you don't have to cycle through all three every time you turn it on, which is very nice. Twist on and off like a Maglite. A bit annoying, but not as annoying as the button/switch turning on in your pocket and killing the battery. It also has a pocket clip that is turned the proper way where you can clip it to the bill of a baseball cap and use it as a headlamp. The magnetic base has been an awesome addition as well while working on some projects that required both of my hands.

It is a really nice, small, EDC light. I use a souped up 272 lumen 2AA Maglight and a 400 lumen Coast headlamp for working my towing and recovery job on night shift. They're $20 and $30 respectively. I've been getting reliable use out of both and both available at Walmart. The Coast headlamp is 3 AAA and has three settings and a red light setting as well.

Broke and Harper like this.
  16. fx77

fx77 Scout

Blog Posts:
  17. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Interestingly enough, $30 isn’t particularly high end in the Flashlight arena. There are lights that cross into the many hundreds of dollars price. Even some that go into four figures for a handheld HID light.

A good resource if you just want to read, but not participate much. It’s a topic of debate the quality of that forum.

I feel better option is budgetightforum.com

Much more helpful over there in my experience.

Sandcut and Broke like this.
  18. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    LOL...yeah, I know. But it's high end for me!

woodsranger, JasonJ and Broke like this.
  19. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Oh for sure! I get it. At one time I would consider that outrageously expensive for a flashlight, myself.

I don’t think I have any lights that I have purchased they cost more than about $40, personally.

I do have some antique and vintage ones that have a value price that is higher than that though.

Either way, it’s all relative as most things are. Nowadays with LED technology advanced to where it is, and miniaturized microprocessors, one can get a very high-tech and advanced flashlight in the $30-$50 range.

Broke likes this.
  20. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Once you try it you'll understand why for $30 its a good value.

The most expensive handheld I've ever owned was about $100, it was a Surefire and I bought it for HD. It was worth every penny.

With my carry or daily carry lights, I usually won't go over $50 unless its its really special. $40 and under can get you some real gems. In fact around/under $30 can.

Its really not about the money actually. Forget the price for a minute. You want something with great features that fit what YOU want and need. You want a good build (quality), reliability, efficient (battery usage vs output), and a company that stands behind a manufacturing defect or early wear. There are lots that fit that bill. Do your research after (or while) you narrow it down more. Ask people if its good or what they use, not necessarily what to get.

Then make a decision.

Once you get one to meet or exceed what you expected you'll understand why a few more dollars was worth it. If you aren't really into lights, its probably going to last you ten years if you take care of it and use good cells (batteries) or maybe a lifetime? Even if it lasted you five?! Divide the price by days or months and you'll see its worth it. In fact if you have it in one emergency or when you really need it, it'll be worth every penny and probably even priceless.

I'm not trying to sell you on high end lights, but like he said most of the ones recommended aren't high end, they are high value [what you get for your money]. I'd rather buy a good light once instead of some junk that I have to buy several times, or doesn't do the one thing its supposed to do the one time I needed it!

Order one of those Lumintops I mentioned while you're at it, you won't be sorry you did. Trust me. ;)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Sandcut, JasonJ and Broke like this.
  21. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Broke likes this.
  22. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
  23. Broke

Blog Posts:
    woodsranger likes this.
  24. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I go through flash lights.
    Not so much the light it's self but the batteries the have leaked and ruined them. I have discovered batteries in storage going bad leaking.
    I don't spend more than $20 on a flash light any more .
    It's not worth the hassle .
    If the light get's turned on accidentally and the batteries die, it pours out into the aluminum and corrodes every thing.
    If it sets too long and get's hot from the weather even if it has been electrically isolated, batteries still die and destroy the product.
    I find it best not to go expensive unless I am using it every day which I do.
    Most all my lights now are AA ,because most electronics are AA .
    Thanks to enloupe I have some AA to D battery adaptors .
    But the way AAs are failing I suspect that the industry is going to be pushing a new battery soon.
    So I recommend rechargeable till the industry straitens out or remove batteries not in actual use .
    May be a small bag taped to the device with it's batteries rather than leaving them inside to destroy your valuable electronics.

Broke likes this.
  25. Broke

Blog Posts:
    I do not have any issue with my EDC flashlight losing or having failure of AAA batteries, I have an unlimited supply and when one grows even marginally perceptibly dim, i trash them and replace them. I do not store flashlights with batteries in them, aside from my loverly wifes bump in the night light and the emergency power outage RR lantern which uses the notoriously robust 9V lantern battery, also in extreme supply in my life. So are C batteries as my new lightweight, not suitable for hobo/chupacabra bashing, RR lantern uses the lighter and more compact C ('C' is for cheaper) batteries.
    At any rate, I am not willing to switch the battery type. I am not interested in rechargeable units, I have no need, i have batteries, cases of batteries, preposterous numbers of each type I use, and if I run low, I order more, and they arrive in a matter of hours, at most 2 days.

I do greatly appreciate the suggestions, some have been very intriguing. At the end of the day, I bought an upgraded version of what has served me well these nigh 8 years. Creature of habit? YES!
    if it ain't broke, upgrade it until it is!
    Thanks

Sandcut and Outdoor Dauber like this.
  26. chndlr04

chndlr04 roughian #2 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Now I understand. You need to throw your flashlight right like a good pitcher throwing a fast ball and not throw it wild? :)

Sorry I had to say it.

Broke likes this.
  27. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I "hear" the Coast AAA has a tight sharp edge throw.

Lots of small lights have a little diffusion at the edges, but several still have a good beam with plenty of throw.

If you aren't happy with the one you get keep the Microstream USB on your short list. At 250 lm it can burn the hair off a cat for an AAA lithium light.

The Lumintop tool AA can use standard AA and 14440 lithiums for and output of about 490 LM which is incredible. I know you didn't ask for AA but thought I'd mention it. I don't have one either but they get good ratings.

There is one from a chinese manufacturer that takes AAA lithium and puts out 250 lumens on one AAA which is incredible. It can use standard AAA. It also only costs about $6. There was a place in texas selling them but he's out of stock. I can send you a link if I can find it and you're interested? I have no personal experience with it but want one eventually.

That Lumintop 2x AAA cree that puts out a steady 200 lumens should be good. Its almost identical size and shape as the one you have ordered. It only lasts 30 minutes at 200 lumens, or several hours on medium and I think its around 130 lm. Costs around $20

I'm not trying to discourage you with any of this, what you ordered is a good light, just saying if you aren't happy there are other options without spending tons of money.

Broke likes this.
  28. Broke

Blog Posts:
    And for that I am grateful @Wasp , options that fit my parameters are much appreciated!

Wasp likes this.
  29. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Heres the one I mentioned thats a cree 250 lm single AAA for like $6 each.
    https://m.fasttech.com/products/1601/10008272/1741600-mini-pen-style-1-cree-r3-1-mode-240-lumen-cool

I tried ordering another light from them and canceled my order because it was out of stock, which means I canceled this one too! Might consider it. I saw a few really good ratings on it. Its coming from China so 15-20 days to get here.

Also a distributor called FStop lights that's a china distributor for Lumintop that has some good options for discount prices.

Always opt for the shipping insurance, its like $1.50 extra and your shipping will only be like $6 for two lights or more (appx).

Broke likes this.
  30. Broke

Blog Posts:
    It kills me that so many lights tout a huge lumen number and completely ignore the importance of throw distance and cone size at range. The good old maglight had that down!

Wasp and Sandcut like this.
  31. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was just.coming on to stress not to be suckered in to just the intensity rating in lumens. Depending on the task at hand, you may actually want a low intensity light. Situations like this, to me at least, include up close work like plumbing on a ladder under floor joists, writing documents on a clipboard in a vehicle at night, and first aid.

The last one I stress in my classes when discussing pupillary response when checking for head injury.

Consider this: at one time, most flashlights were cheap PsOS with no intensity. It is a wonder how we ever survived in the dark. Then LEDs broke through as did the Tactical Flashlight. For a while, getting an 80+ lumen light was a several hundred dollar expense. Technology grew and now you can get 250 lumen lights for $12 and 7,500 lumen lights for $40. But do you really need it? For those that remember, tactical lights came above 80 lumen to be used defensively since, in the dark, anything over 80 directly to the eyes is somewhhat incapacitating. As such, do you really want to be shining a 7,500 lumen death ray into the pupils of someone with a traumatic brain injury. (I'!! give you a hint. The answer is 'no'.). Even something tiny like a 1AAA Maglight Solitaire may be too much to shine directly at 47 lumens. Medical pen livhts are much lower (around 8-15 IIRC).

So, like sizing a hand gun caliber to the task/game, do the same with your light to the task.

Harper and Broke like this.
  32. Outdoor Dauber

Blog Posts:
    I think this is what I like about the HF Quantum so much. Good throw with 65 lumens and better than average battery life, IMO.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Broke likes this.
  33. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Several still have a good beam throw, but have some flood for peripheral too to keep you from tripping on everything. Lol

I always see something that appeals to me then start doing research and watch a few videos, check out Candlepower forums (not a member and wont be).

Broke likes this.