Flickr How-To Thread...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by pik, Nov 25, 2010.

1. pik

pik Scout

Blog Posts:
    A lot of people here use Photobucket (see Trek's Photobucket How-To Thread...), but Flickr is another photo-hosting website that has some very nice features. For instance, as of July 2013, Flickr free accounts now have
    • unlimited bandwidth
    • practically unlimited space for photos (actually 1 Terabyte, which is 1024 Gigabytes)
    • upload/download in full resolution
    • ability to sign in/create an account using prexisting Yahoo!, Gmail, or Facebook accounts (no new username or password)
    and each photo you upload is automatically available to post on BCUSA in a wide variety of sizes/resolutions.

If your questions aren't answered below, you can check the Flickr Frequently Asked Questions page, or feel free to PM me here. Also, I will try to remember but let me know if the Flickr pages no longer behave as described below (they've changed before; they will change again), and I'll update this post accordingly.

Creating a Flickr account

Since Yahoo! owns Flickr, if you already have a Yahoo! email account, you should be able to sign in and use Flickr using the same email address and password.

As mentioned above you can also use a pre-existing Gmail or Facebook account. I used my Gmail account and it was very convenient. To create a Flickr account this way, click "Sign up for Flickr" at flickr.com and then click either the Gmail or Facebook button instead of typing anything. You then choose a Flickr username, but you still sign in to Flickr using the Gmail account (or Facebook, as the case may be).

If you want to create a free account and don't want to use Yahoo!, Gmail, or Facebook, you can create a free Flickr account from scratch (although it is the same as making a Yahoo! email address). Click "Sign up for Flickr" at flickr.com, then "Create a New Account" at the bottom, and follow directions. However, I don't recommend going this way since Yahoo! has very restrictive password requirements, so if there was a password you were planning on using you probably won't be able to use it (which could lead to frequently forgotten Flickr passwords).

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  2. pik

pik Scout

Blog Posts:
    Photostream and Upload pages

Here I will show how to navigate to two important pages: your Photostream and the Upload page.

Photostream

Your Photostream is the page which shows all of your photos. Whenever you are signed on to Flickr and on any Flickr web page, clicking on the "You" in the upper-left corner of the screen will send you to your Photostream.

[​IMG]
    Untitled by gaak0-0, on Flickr

Here is my Photostream after I uploaded the pictures for this tutorial:

[​IMG]

Upload

Similar to the Photostream, the Upload page can be reached at any time (as long as you are signed in) by clicking the "Upload" at the top of the screen.

[​IMG]

The next post will explain how to upload photos.

3. pik

pik Scout

Blog Posts:
    Uploading images

Once you are at the Upload page (see previous post), click "Choose photos and videos" and then select the images you want to upload in the file browser that appears (on a PC you can select multiple images in the same folder by holding down the Control key while you click on the files).

[​IMG]

After making your selection and hitting "Open," thumbnails of the images will appear. You can click and add titles if you want (the title will automatically appear in your BCUSA post), and there are some other controls provided to manipulate the images, but you don't absolutely need to do anything. If you forgot some images you can click "Add" on the left side of the screen to add more pictures.

[​IMG]

After you are satisfied with your titles and images, click the upload button in the upper-right corner of the screen. If you leave the page without clicking this, your pictures won't be uploaded. Uploading might take a while, depending on how large and many your images are.

[​IMG]

After the images are uploaded, you can view them in your Photostream (see previous post for reminder of how to get there).

4. pik

pik Scout

Blog Posts:
    Posting pictures from Flickr on BCUSA or other forums

While looking at your Photostream, click on the photo you want to post at BCUSA - this should send you to a page showing the photo on a mostly black background. To start sharing the photo, click on the little box-and-arrow icon in the lower right corner (pointed at in picture below).

[​IMG]

In the box that comes up, select "Grab the HTML/BBCode" (following picture is zoomed in so you can see better).

[​IMG]

Fill the circle next to "BBCode" and select a size for the picture to appear when you post it on BCUSA (the 640 size is usually good enough, and I wouldn't go higher than 1024).

[​IMG]

Copy the BBCode in the text box and paste it into your BCUSA post wherever you would like the picture to appear. PC users can right-click on the text and then select copy; Mac users "right-click" by holding the Control key (⌘) while clicking (then select "copy" normally).

Now you can paste it in your BCUSA post. The picture will appear wherever you paste the code - here is an example of using it in a post with writing:

[​IMG]

The above example results in the following (quoted to separated from rest of post).

One last thing: there is currently a 5 picture limit per post on BCUSA, for all new posts no matter where the pictures are coming from. If you want to post more than 5 pictures, just reply to a thread multiple times.

5. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice! Sticky?

6. mbiraman

mbiraman Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Thanks PIK; i'd been trying for days to make it work .

bill

7. steve_t

steve_t Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Europe, Asia-Pacific, Homestead in Bulgari
    Unfortunately, due to the lack of a right click in Mac, this doesn't work for me, so will have to try with somebody else's PC. But thanks for the tutorial :)

8. pik

pik Scout

Blog Posts:
    you can right-click on Mac

To right-click on a Mac, hold the Control key, then click.

If you are using a trackpad, check here: Five ways to right-click on a Mac trackpad.

Otherwise if you are just copying the BBCode, you can click normally in the BBCode and it will automatically select all of it, then Command-C (⌘-C) is the hotkey for "copy selection."

Flickr has changed quite a bit recently, maybe I will redo this tutorial.

9. pik

pik Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think this tutorial is now updated - if there are any issues let me know.

Flickr free accounts recently changed to have pretty much all the features that the Pro accounts used to have, so the free accounts are pretty nice at the moment...

10. agranite

agranite Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't know if others feel this way but I prefer to delete the URL tags so to not have viewers accidently click them leading them away, and to make viewing via tapatalk easier.

11. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bump, is free

12. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lol, kind of a strange post to be in the "Introductions" section.

13. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:

its an Introduction on how to post pics on the forum :54:

14. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ha, I thought about that, lol