Florida boy thinking of planning a solo trip to Maine

Discussion in 'New England' started by southernbayou, May 9, 2014.

1. southernbayou

southernbayou Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I live in Florida, but was born in, and have family near Bethel, Maine. I need a change of pace from the Florida flatland swamps, and was thinking of making a trip up there, visit family for a few days, and do a 4-7 day solo trip in the mountains. I love that area. This trip would be in the first half of October if I could hunt, but if not, probably in September. I'm looking to just wander around for a week (no established campsites is the most important thing to me), hunting, fishing, and exploring--as far from people and civilization as I can get.

Ideally, I'd like to go during archery season (opens Oct 2 i think), and do backcountry camping and hunting. I know a lot of places down here don't allow backcountry camping during hunting season. Is it like that in Maine? I'd be content just being able to hunt squirrels and grouse/pheasant/quail.

Am I dreaming wanting to be able to hunt during a trip like this? Is this something only my grandfather and ancestors were able to do, lol? Do I need to just give up on that, and do a hiking and camping trip? Hunting would be nice, but I'm primarily interested in just getting away and exploring the beautiful mountains.

I'm going to call some family members this weekend to discuss, but in all honesty, they're not of the same mindset as us off-trail bushcrafters. I know they'll try to steer me in the direction of hunting lodges, guides, and all that. That's a great option for most people, but that's not really my thing, tbh.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. blackhawkhunter

blackhawkhunter Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't see why you can't camp and hunt at the same time. I do it in deer season in Maine. I guess I never asked. The biggest restrictions are open fires. Since I am a guest, whether an approved camping location or squatting, I never have an open fire if not allowed.

Go for it. Its a blast.

3. southernbayou

southernbayou Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That's great to hear. Thanks for posting.

4. blackhawkhunter

blackhawkhunter Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was hoping some Maine guys would chime in. I usually go a bit north of Bethel and its usually lumber land. They allow public access to a lot of it and understandably don't allow open fires. I honor that request and cook with a propane cook stove unless staying in a remote campground with established fire rings.

mainewoods likes this.
  5. NewEnglander70

NewEnglander70 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    there are a ton of primitive campsites, though. I go up all the time. What is never allowed are ATV's.