Fly Box?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by Stone, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Stone

Stone Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Who makes a good box for fishing flys that is 3.5" x 6" to 4.5" x 9" that is deep enough to put streamers and big flies (#1 mudlers, #2 steelhead flies) as well as others? Looking for ones 1.25" to 1.5" thick.

bacpacjac, DavidJAFO and pab1 like this.
  2. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    As much as I like my Tacky boxes, for streamers Cliff fly boxes are my favorites. They have slit foam that you back the hook bend into which retain big streamers well. They are made in Wyoming and very good quality.

Cliff Fly Boxes 009.JPG

The Cliff Pink Box measures 6”X 4”X1-5/8” and easily holds a lot of streamers. Its the streamer box I use the most.

Cliff Fly Boxes 015.JPG

The Cliff Bugger Barn is a little bigger (but thinner) at 8-3/4"X 4-3/8"X1-3/8". It holds more than the Pink Box but requires a larger pocket to hold it.

Cliff Fly Boxes 017.JPG

For longer trips their briefcase type Beast series boxes come in handy. I'll carry one of these in my pack occasionally if I'm hiking in any distance just to cover the bases. Honestly I've never had to go beyond what I carried in the Pink Box or Bugger Barn. Having them along (especially having extras of favorite patterns) gives peace of mind sometimes. They're also handy when fishing from a boat. I use the Bugger Beast Jr for small streamers. It measures 10"X 6.5"X 2.75".

Dubbing Brush Tool & Small Streamer Box 002.JPG

Their Bugger Beast is a bit bigger at 13.5"X 9"X3" and holds a lot of streamers.

Cliff Fly Boxes 011.JPG

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 3:06 AM
    Dukejb, bacpacjac, kronin323 and 4 others like this.
  3. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Cliffs also makes a tiny box they call the “Day’s Worth”. It’s a good one that the ultra light Tenkara guys to take a look at.

I really like the C&F boxes but not for streamers. I have three or four classic metal “Wheatly” style boxes with the little compartments with spring loaded doors for each. When I fish with my bamboo rods, linen lines and wicker creel I’ll use them. They are heavy, not water proof, but classically good looking.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    bacpacjac, kronin323 and pab1 like this.
  4. Stone

Stone Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! I have ordered the pink box, the bugger barn, the super days worth, and the tacky dry fly box.

5. pab1

Blog Posts:
    The Super Days Worth is another one of my favorite boxes. It lets you carry a little bit of everything in a fairly small box.

Stone and bacpacjac like this.
  6. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Another great minimal fly box is the Tacky Tube. It carries a decent number of flies and doubles as a drying patch. I carry mine on a neck lanyard along with a couple spools of tippet, hemostats and nippers. I often carry this minimal set-up with both tenkara and western style rods.

Stillwater Tenkara 05-24-17 099.JPG

Stone and werewolf won like this.