Foggy Glasses

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by crewhead05, Dec 11, 2014.

1. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have yet to find anything that will stop my eye glasses from fogging up while wearing a winter face mask. Im looking for ideas that may have worked for people. Thus far I have tried and given up on.

- Cat crap
    - Toothpaste
    - Spray on anti fog
    - Dish soap
    - Shaving cream

I usually just dont wear my glasses when its cold enough for a face mask because I just cant keep them un fogged. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cro, JKR and Jim L. like this.
  2. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I spend a lot of time in a walk in freezer. It is -5 degrees F in there. I have not been able to wear my glasses with a face mask or ski mask either.
    I figured out it is not really fog. In my case, when I have to exit the freezer and hit the warm moist air, or if I try to cover my face, this fog actually turns to ice on the cold service of my lenses. I absolutely have to wear my glasses at all times so my face just gets cold.
    I wish I had a solution to tell you

3. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I feel your pain. I weld quite a bit and in the winter my glasses fog up instantly when I lower my hood. I weld without my glasses, which is like welding blind. I've tried just about everything and nothing works. Wish I could be of help.

JohnP

GrayGhost and Jim L. like this.
  4. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I sell eyeglasses for a living.

I have yet to find a product that works.

JohnP and Jim L. like this.
  5. okcmco

okcmco Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Maybe try bush crafting while holding your breath?

Jim L. likes this.
  6. Prof

Prof Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I don't know how your mask is constructed, but if you can prevent your exhaled breath from rising up around your glasses, perhaps fogging would diminish. Maybe foam padding in the areas beside your nose, over your cheek bones, would block warm, moist, rising air, and direct it down and out of the mask.

I have never had much luck with ski masks or even scarves over my face. Exhaled breath would soon condense, soak in and then freeze. Cold and wet was less comfortable than just cold. I have experienced some of the same problems in mummy-type sleeping bags.

7. Frank1960

Frank1960 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Drat I was hoping for a cure for this but looks like we have to suffer the dreaded fogged glasses

Jim L. likes this.
  8. caspice

caspice Life size Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can relate to your frustration having worn eye glasses from 1979 until 2005. -180 L and -220 R.
    Beginning in 1986 I regularly rode a motorcycle during all seasons and my glasses would fog up terribly during the colder months. Made for some interesting rides to work.
    I tried Contact lenses, but they would get overly dry and itchy during the colder months riding at highway speeds.
    They were okay during normal activities, but still got a little dry during the winter and required regular re-wetting drops. YMMV

Have you tried Contacts yet?

I finally took the plunge and had Lasik in 2005.
    Resulted in 10/20 L and 20/20 R.
    After nine years the vision in my right eye has slipped a bit, but I still do not require eyeglasses.

If not limited by budget restraints, Lasik might be an option.

Those are the only options I can suggest.

9. Blaker55

Blaker55 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have this trouble to a limited degree. I usually wear a thin merino wool Buff neck gaiter pulled up to just cover my nose. The merino fabric is quite thin and most of the time my breath will pass through it and not interfere with my specs.... but not always. My biggest problem is when I come in from outside. Instant fog due to the cold glass and the humidity condensing on them.

I worked for a large company that made respirators like coal miners wear. There was always a piece of metal that formed around your nose to seal that area from dusts. It also kept your glasses clearer so that exhaled air didn't rise up. Later, exhalation valves were added for worker comfort. Gets rid of the warm moist air inside of the respirator.

You might try one of these masks under your facemask?

Or you might try weaving in a small wire into the seam around the nose area so that you can form it around your nose and see if that helps reduce the warm moist air rising into the glasses area.

Or make openings or flaps in the fabric for your breath to escape the facemask?

Or, invent a heater that keeps your glass warm so the moisture doesn't condense on them.

I might have to have a go at one or two of these ideas next time I have to blow snow. The way my house is situated and kind of "L" shaped, I always have to blow snow into the wind and I come in looking like frosty.

Jim L. likes this.
  10. Bullhed78

Bullhed78 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I haven't tried them personally but I know a guy that swears by sea drops. He applies it in the morning before starting work and again at lunch time.

11. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Divers typically spit in their masks, it works well. Worth a try? My dog's nose prints always show as clear on a foggy window.

GrayGhost and Jim L. like this.
  12. Tripper Harrison

Tripper Harrison Scout

Blog Posts:
    I went with laser surgery, so I could get rid of the glasses. Best 5K I ever spent.

Jim L. likes this.
  13. mab0852

mab0852 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hmmm...a mixture of cat crap and unspecified dog snot applied with a liberal amount of spit. On my way to the patent office. I'm going to make a fortune.:18:

Jim L. and Dubhelix like this.
  14. Myr1ad

Myr1ad Scout

Blog Posts:
    Rain-X wipes. My dad wears glasses and tried them on his glasses. I gave the wipes to him for the inside of his windshield.

Ragman and Jim L. like this.
  15. Gii shi kan dug

Gii shi kan dug Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Grow a beard

GrayGhost, Jim L. and Dubhelix like this.
  16. Cro

Cro American Grouch Hobbyist Lifetime Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    This, and suck it up. :18:

I've had the problem too, for a long time. Leupold makes a set of lens wipes for their optics. They come in singles and they helped to an extent.

I also bought a pair of rx sunglasses, Oakley Gas Cans, the way they are made the lower part is quite tight to the face, not a seal but tight. I've had pretty good luck with them not fogging up.

Almost did the lasik but didn't go through with it. Been wearing glasses for years and years, to the point that I figure I'd lose an eye if I wasn't wearing them. Can't count the number of times mine have kept me from taking hard pokes and slaps from branches to the eyeball. Could wear safety glasses if I had the surgery to prevent this but that's back to square one so I used the coin for other things.

Gii shi kan dug and Jim L. like this.
  17. teb_atoz

teb_atoz Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Do like I have had to do and design a face mask that wouldn't push the air into your face.

18. Papa Tac

Papa Tac Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, I was just wondering about Rain-X. Gonna give it a try.
    I've worn glasses since I was 8 (40+yrs), and when exerting in cold temps they fog up something fierce.
    I've given up on contacts as well, for the dryness reasons given above.
    Maybe Lasik is the answer...

Cheers

Jim L. likes this.
  19. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lasik may not be the answer.

In my experience, I find that a majority of lasik patients end up in glasses eventually anyway. Some patients need them for reading, some for driving, and some to correct for the residual prescription after surgery.

Jim L. likes this.
  20. Papa Tac

Papa Tac Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I figured that - that's why I've avoided it all this time.
    A co-worker lost his night vision after Lasik, too.

Jim L. likes this.
  21. Woodknot

Woodknot Scout

Blog Posts:
    I always had good luck with cat crap while skiing, just have to use enough for a good layer.

There are also goggles with built in fans, almost impossible to fog them up, if you dont mind wearing goggles with your mask that is.

Jim L. likes this.
  22. runswithscissors

runswithscissors Scout

Blog Posts:
    In Basic we just used Ivory soap. Clean glasses well and make SURE you get any grit off of them, then use bar of dry Ivory like a Crayon. Go light on it, and once you've colored both sides, rub it off with a wash rag until it's all off of there (that you can see). Worked for me at Ft. Benning and ever since :) Retreat as needed.

23. skfsteveskf

skfsteveskf Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I was wondering if anyone checked this out yet, it doesn't say anything about not fogging up glasses...

http://www.rei.com/product/791256/t...ferralID=1709b5be-815c-11e4-ac6c-001b2166c2c0

http://www.rei.com/product/791255/t...ferralID=889789c5-815c-11e4-ac6c-001b2166c2c0

This one specifically states that it keeps GOGGLES from fogging up:

http://workingperson.com/cold-aveng...igh-performance-mask-cap-reg-blk.html#details

AND THEN GOOGLE HAD THE AUDACITY TO SUGGESTED THIS: http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-Mask-To-Wear-With-Glasses/ :12:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  24. skfsteveskf

skfsteveskf Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Thank You for your service!

GrayGhost likes this.
  25. happywanderer

happywanderer Scout

Blog Posts:
  26. jetravis

jetravis Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I ride a motorcycle in all types of weather. My face shield would fog and it made for a very entertaining ride to work. I began using defog it a couple years ago, and can get a full day of riding in without fogging after one treatment. It might work for you.

http://www.defogitworks.com/work

Jim L. likes this.
  27. donk

donk Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My Grandpa used to say if you walked in from the cold through the door backwards your glasses didn't fog up. Didn't work, but made him laugh anyway.

Donk.

Jim L. likes this.
  28. brionic

brionic Blissful simpleton

Blog Posts:
    Works in reverse, too. Walk out of an air conditioned room into the sweltering heat, and cold surfaces will fog. See glasses, camera lenses, bicycles, firearms, and tools for reference.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    Jim L. likes this.
  29. chopchop

chopchop Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's what I was going to say. Has worked for me when snorkeling.

Jim L. likes this.
  30. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Something to try. Go to the auto parts store. The company Rain-X who makes the windshield treatment that amazingly beads water makes a product called Fog-X. It's meant for inside your windshield, may work for goggles too. I use it on the bathroom mirror to prevent fogging after a shower and it works for that.

Jim L. likes this.
  31. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    Good idea. Im going to try this

32. Mr.Black

Mr.Black WILDEROXEN Tracker Pack #1 Lifetime Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Ready?
    Potato slice, wipe the juice on wipe It off.Long story but give it a try lol

Jim L. likes this.
  33. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    ill try anything once..... mostly

Jim L. likes this.
  34. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What the heck I'll throw in my 2 cents, remember YMMV. When scuba diving I use sea drops GOLD, for some reason it works better than the standard stuff. That being said here's what I've been told (as it applies to dive masks) the tooth paste is for new masks to clean off what out gasses from the silicone of the mask, so it will do little if anything for glasses.
    What happens when a mask (and I guessing glasses) fog up is tiny droplets condense on the lens surface. What sea drops and other products do is break down the surface tension of the condensed water vapor thus causing more of a "sheet" of water as opposed to droplets, so the lens doesn't fog. That being said I have had semi-acceptable results by using baby shampoo! It was recommended to me by other divers. What I might try for glasses in the future is wetting solution used in photo developing (will check the safety factor first!). Baby shampoo is prefered as it does sting your eyes but any soap or shampoo should give similar results!
    Good luck and let us know how you make out!

35. Lerch

Lerch Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't consider this if anyone else told me that ..... worth a go I guess. I only need it for my sunglasses though since I invested in lasik. I think it has been said but it was the best 3 grand I ever spent. Went from legally blind to just about 20/20

36. Mr.Black

Mr.Black WILDEROXEN Tracker Pack #1 Lifetime Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    The first time I did it was intersession skiing in Jr High our instructor showed us for our Goggle and Vaurnets( that dates it as well) it also came in handy with a 7O ford pickup,62 Chevy shortbed and a 72 dodge tradesman as a anti fog window treatment lol do a teast patch on the outside of wind shield and see if it deices better than un treated as well
    There may be a little smudging if you use it too heavy,other than than give it a go
    DISCLAIMER
    Not Responsible for any misshaps lol

Jim L. likes this.
  37. HiWayMan

HiWayMan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use a 3M 6000 Series half face respirator with the filters removed. It functions as a pre-warmer and does not allow fogging to happen. It does need emptied occasionally to get rid of the condensation. I wear it primarily when riding my bike in the winter months.

38. Robson Valley

Robson Valley Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I worked as a commercial scuba diver for some time.
    XXX-cheap baby shampoo inside my mask. Just the very thinnest
    of wipes. It breaks the surface tension so sweat can't sit there as droplets/fog.
    Use the same inside all the rear windows of rigs like old Blazers and Suburbans.

There are some high-molecular weight detergent (solid) sticks
    which work just as well. Does not appear to affect lens coatings on expensive
    scopes like my Nikon Prostaff 82.

Carry it. Cool to write stuff on people's bathroom mirrors during parties.
    Next time they take a hot/steamy/foggy shower = BOOOO!!!!

39. Bruce_A

Bruce_A Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've used candle wax with good results. Just put some on both sides of your lens and polish off.

40. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Bringing this thread back to life.... Anyone found anything that works better than the fog-x?

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  41. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Glasses and welding are a pain. I've taken to using the magnifier lense that attaches the the filter lense inside your hood. No glasses, no fog, no problem.

crewhead05 likes this.
  42. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We were taught not to retreat in basic .

Hillbilly stalker and crewhead05 like this.
  43. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I didn’t read all the threads but it would seem some little clip on heaters with a battery pack would h keep the glasses above the dew point which should solve the problem
    shouldn’t take much . I suppose a guy could buy some nichron wire and fashion his own .