Food - who’s burned out, and what are you burned out on?

Discussion in 'Food' started by spumwuzzle, Jun 11, 2019.

1. spumwuzzle

spumwuzzle Scout

Blog Posts:
    What do you like that you just can’t eat one more mouthful of?

I’m diabetic, and have to monitor carbs and calories. I eat pretty much the same breakfast, 11:00am snack, 1:00 pm lunch every day, because my blood sugar is predictable.

I may hang myself if I see another pouch of tuna, and oatmeal is starting to make me want to jump off a roof, but it’s a one-story ranch, so what’s the point?

I hope I never tire of hard boiled eggs or peanut butter (crunchy). If I ever tire of bratwurst, I’m just giving up.

My wife loves grilled or baked salmon, but I think I need a break, or I’m going to start eating cat litter (unused, ideally).

Anything you just can’t choke down, that was once a favorite?

2. Philly-Billy

Philly-Billy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Having trouble with chicken, chicken, chicken. It's starting to taste like nothing to me. I'd rather have sausage, beef, lamb, or something right out of the sea.
    But chicken is available, cheap, and in a million forms. Ugh.

Bobsdock, MrFixIt, fixits and 3 others like this.
  3. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Kraft dinner, Canadian for mac and cheese. I overdosed on it in highschool. Mr noodle, specifically that brand. Not all ramen noodles are equal. Mr noodle is the bottom of the pile. Malt liquor, I expect most would agree on that one. ;)
    Cheers Jim

Bobsdock, MrFixIt, fixits and 2 others like this.
  4. Poppy Jay Jay

Poppy Jay Jay Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've heard that leads to serious constipation.:rolleyes:

Bobsdock, BBizy, MrFixIt and 3 others like this.
  5. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Steak... I've lost my taste for it. A nice thick, smoked and reverse seared pork chop is my go-to now.

6. spumwuzzle

spumwuzzle Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not exactly “food”, but I’m starting to not enjoy bourbon anymore.

Surely a sign of the End Times.

7. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I feel ya @spumwuzzle also diabetic and I have a heart condition.
    Low fat, low carb and I'm broke.

I feel like I live on lowfat cottage cheese hummus and egg whites

Bobsdock, MrFixIt, fixits and 3 others like this.
  8. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It's cyclical. I can get burned out on something but it's temporary, I come back around eventually.

Right now I'm a bit overdone with salads.

9. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    haha! I've got to make KD just right to be able to eat it anymore, (thanks to weird lingering pregnancy crapola,) but when I do. YUM! I still love the stuff. ;) I can't do Mr. Noodles anymore either, no matter what I try to do with them. Other brands, still are ok but no more than once a week, and I do hit patches where I just can't eat them for a while. FWIW, I've shied away from malt liquor but I will never, ever be able to swallow Irish Cream again, thanks to University. ;)

@spumwuzzle, I'm the same with oatmeal right now. We eat it most mornings from Fall through Winter into Spring. By late Spring, I'm done with it. The kids are too.

Hot dogs! The Adventure Kiddos love hot dogs and I am sick of them. They would eat them every day if they could. They like them steamed, with no buns, with ketchup and MAYBE honey mustard. I like them best once in a while, very well done, in a bun with cheese, ketchup, mustard and maybe something to spice it up. I get one bad bite, though, and it turns me off them for months at a time. That's where I am with them right now, which means I'm back to making two lunches every day when I've got kids at home. UGH! LOL!

10. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    I gotta clarify, Jim. Maybe it's an East Coast Canada vs West Coast Canada thing, or an Ontario versus the rest of Canada thing but..... Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, A.K.A. Kraft Dinner, is KD. Mac and Cheese is a TOTALLY different thing. LOL!! KD is in a class all by itself. All the knock-off boxed mac n cheese things are terrible. BUT... BUT!!! .... Homemade mac and cheese is DA BOMB, especially when you add bacon! :D

11. Bryan King

Bryan King Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would have to say hotdogs, only way I can eat one is if fixed over campfire. I agree with @Paulyseggs on being diabetic and heart condition, I told my doc. when she explained what I could eat " So if it tastes good ,Spit It Out"

12. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately my only proteins are chicken or fish. That should about sum it up!

13. lodge camper

lodge camper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We are vegetarians when we are at home. When we are camping we do eat some meat but usually just chicken or salmon. last great meal we had was the Shane burgers a few weeks back. yum. beef is very seldom and pork is almost never(both were in Shane Burger).
    The #1 food I get burned out on is brown rice with oatmeal coming in at #2. just need to find new ways to prepare the oatmeal as that is probably healthiest food for my system. beans can ware me out but there is always different ways to eat them so not so bad. our vegetarian grain bowls account for at least 3 dinners per week, one night usually enchiladas and maybe homemade pizza another night as well. needless to say, we sometimes just go camping to eat meat it seems.

Bobsdock, BBizy, MrFixIt and 3 others like this.
  14. Zunga

Blog Posts:
    My apologise. I do agree with your view. Mac and cheese is a homemade and a far better meal than Kraft dinner. I used the the term knowing I was speaking mostly to American readers and chose it for the sake of clarity. The term KD is ubiquitous in B.C. also. Again I used kraft dinner for clarity. I would respectfully disagree that all knock offs are terrible. While the majority fit that description, some flavours of Annie's are pretty tasty. Granted if you eat one and expect KD flavour, you will be disappointed. That said, add tuna and ketchup and it doesn't matter who's noodles you started with
    :dblthumb:
    Cheers Jim

15. BlueDogScout

BlueDogScout I just want bacon that doesn’t need cold Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I eat a cold can of spaghetti os with meatballs and like 3 pickle spears every day. Never get burned out if it’s good lol

16. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    Annie's is taking up increasing shelf space around here. I think I'm going to try it. Or, maybe I'll make the kids try it first. Like Mikey. Do you remember him? Now I'm feeling my age. HAHHA!!

Bobsdock, bgf, MrFixIt and 3 others like this.
  17. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I find that using spices makes boring food very good. Take oatmeal, add some cardamom cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, coconut, cloves pepper, jaggery and nutmeg and you have something much better than the garbage that comes in the pouches.

For anything that you want that is meaty, spicy or salty, use cumin, turmeric and coriander as a base and add from there. If it is to be sweet and or milky, use cardamom, turmeric, and ginger then add on from there. If you are going to have eggs or anything with egg yolk use cilantro or parsley, eggs are amazing with cumin. If it is food that does not digest that well use some fennel, or eat candied fennel after the meal. Anytime carbs are taken make sure that cinnamon occurs somewhere in the meal, cinnamon tea is my favourite.

BBizy, MrFixIt, fixits and 2 others like this.
  18. Zunga

Blog Posts:
    ROFL! Oh yes! Mikey was the cereal Jedi when I was a kid. Our store didn't carry that cereal. That didn't stop mom from hearing about every trip to the store. My other favorite was the Kokanee beer Sasquatch. I don't recall if I ever asked mom for beer?:33:ROFL!
    Cheers Jim

Bobsdock, bgf, MrFixIt and 1 other person like this.
  19. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    My mom refused to buy sugar cereals and Life was questionable. :( Lucky Mikey. My poor mom. LOL!!

LOL! I had totally forgotten about the Kokanee Beer Sasquatch! hahah! Oh no! I'm going to be YouTube for a while! :D

20. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
  21. Zunga

Blog Posts:
    My mom didn't do sugar either. Coke/Pepsi was the forbidden fruit. I recall being extra annoying and getting a coke, despite protest in the gorcery store. After that I only remember a red faced mom and every adult looking at me. Apparently sugar and caffeine was a bad combo when it came to impulse control LOL.
    Cheers Jim

BBizy, MrFixIt and bacpacjac like this.
  22. bacpacjac

Blog Posts:
    AH HAHAH!!

23. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I went years without eating summer sausage.

Right after high school graduation, a buddy and I went "backpacking" in the mountains. Two flatlanders with little experience, up in the mountains..

We brought summer sausage for lunglch and dehydrated backpacking meals for dinner. Turns out, we spent a lot of time hungry, and summer sausage lost its appeal. We ate it as-is, boiled, roasted over a fire, and fried in hot oil. By the time the trip was over, I spent years disgusted by summer sausage.
    Fortunately, now I really like the slow to spoil, preserved log of meat.

24. CreativeRealms

CreativeRealms Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This is a little off topic but I'm a type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent) and eat pretty much whatever I want (with some limitations of course) but still maintain great glucose control. Don't force yourself to eat the same exact thing every day when you don't need to. You can change things up a bit and just keep more of an eye on your sugars when having something new.

25. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I got burned out on oatmeal. The doctor said it was good for my BP, and healthy to boot. I was eating oatmeal 5 days a week for breakfast.
    :26:

Bobsdock, blind & lost, BBizy and 4 others like this.
  26. Togus

Togus Echo of the Loon Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sandwiches. They’re convenient, easy, and make a turd, but I’m beyond sick of them.

27. Zornt

Zornt Guide

Blog Posts:
    Chicken in any form!!
    Unfortunately my daughter the cook loves it so 3 or 4 times a week it is on the menu.
    Give me a greasy burger pork in any form a rare steak and I'm a happy camper.

28. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I add sugar and peanut butter and it is a lot better.

Bobsdock, bacpacjac and MrFixIt like this.
  29. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've added fruit, but not peanut butter. Next time I get the gumption to eat any I'll add it.

30. Uncle Duke 520

Uncle Duke 520 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to Google Mr. Noodle and have a look at this ! What's the package look like ?

Bobsdock likes this.
  31. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Rice. It’s a staple here. Kinda getting old. There’s 99 million things to cook with it.
    I love red beans and rice, but that’s even losing appeal.
    I can’t stand pizza. It has to be greasy, cheesy, spicy, and on a hand-tossed style crust before I can stand it. Very few places here can do a good pizza.
    I’m actually on the verge of burning out on food in general. I need to switch my diet up.
    Yesterday I had Foreman grilled boneless pork chops. I seasoned dad’s with salt, pepper, and garlic. Mine got that and a healthy dose of chili powder. They weren’t bad at all.
    I’ve had a boloney sandwich for supper every night this week. Bread, one slice of cheese, a slice of regular thickness boloney, mustard and lettuce. They were great.

Bobsdock, bgf and bacpacjac like this.
  32. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    To lean out I give up carbs, it's a bit extreme but it works for me. One fried egg and a small piece of meat like one round of Canadian bacon for breakfast. Lunch a salad with some shredded cheese and chicken, then a reasonably small dinner. It get me through months during weight cut phases. So far down 8.5 pounds this week.
    Small tweaks here and there will keep some variety. I try to focus on how my body feels after eating certain foods and let that guide food choices. One guarantee is if I eat a high carb food it drives the desire for more of it then followed by an energy crash.

Bobsdock, blind & lost and bacpacjac like this.
  33. Fishrarr

Fishrarr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I eat oatmeal 6 or 7 days a week, easy and fast to make. I buy it bulk organic regular size not quick oats. I find it's easy to change up or down, so I'm not eating it the same thing everyday. I like to put huckleberry and blackberry's in it that I've picked and frozen the summer before. At this time of year strawberry are in season, so I put them in also. The other thing I do is put yogourt on it also. I keep the carbs down by not using any sugar or honey. Instead of berries I've also added, banana's, peaches, apples pineapple etc. just to make it interesting.

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120%; }

Bobsdock, bacpacjac and BBizy like this.
  34. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I ate oatmeal every work day for about 8 years. I’m over it.

I also like eating out less and less. I almost never eat processed food. It makes my stomach hurt and my scalp breaks out. It’s weird.

35. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    After nearly 50 years of drinking coffee daily, I'm burned out on it....not! I just changed to a low carb diet, not burned out yet, but sure miss bisquits, cookies, crackers, etc. I have dropped ten pounds though.

Bobsdock and bacpacjac like this.