For hobby photographers that use "real" cameras.. and phone cameras

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by NJHeart2Heart, Aug 30, 2016.

1. NJHeart2Heart

NJHeart2Heart Backyard Bushcrafter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If this would be better off in another section, feel free to move it please.

Are there others here on the forum that do photography as a hobby as well? Sadly (because I feel in a way I've betrayed my dear DLSR) My Samsung Note 5 phone was my ONLY camera during my recent vacation.

I was sick while packing for vaca and forgot my regular one - a Nikon D7000 - and truth be told, it is heavy, and it was nice not having to lug it around everywhere since I was battling a cold during the week as well. But.. I feel so ashamed that I really like my phone camera <sigh>. For a while I actually felt a bit annoyed because my husband, who never had use for a "real" camera, started using his phone ALL the time to take photos, and we are both Facebook people. He ALWAYS beat me to posting photos on Facebook (which is a gratifying use of photos - sharing with friends and family online). I think I sort of.. lost my will to fight it, and haven't bought my DSLR out for months... I feel terribly guilty and sad though that it sits unused (even worse, I STILL have photos from our Gettysburg trip during Memorial Day sitting on the memory card).

rsnurkle, TX-1948, gohammergo and 8 others like this.
  2. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a trip that I've been wanting to do a report on. Sadly, most of the pictures with me in it (not that y'all want to see me anyway) and some that are part of a funny story, are on my FIL's camera and instead of emailing them, now he wants us to go to his house and get them off if their computer with our own SD card. So I totally understand about the phones being a light, quick, convenient option. I just had to turn the turn the service off on mine for my trip so it'd stop running the battery down looking for a signal.

NJHeart2Heart and shotgunpapa like this.
  3. Sandyslosenit

Sandyslosenit Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have to be honest, I haven't used a "real" camera in years. I love the convenience of the phone camera. Being able to look at the photos no matter where I'm at. If they where printed pictures I would have to always carry them every where. You know how conversation go , you start talking about one trip and that leads to another and another. With my phone I have all my pics right there to brag over. LOL !
    Blessings

NJHeart2Heart and shotgunpapa like this.
  4. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The photos I take with my D7000 will never compare with what I get from my cell phone. I'm almost always glad I've brought it along, but there are times when I don't care about photos, and I just enjoy the time without a camera. Now, I value my D7000 way too highly to take it out on the kayak with me, so I will use my cell phone at those times, if I need to.

5. plinker22

plinker22 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My Note 4 takes AMAZING pictures. The "big camera" stays home at our place too.

shotgunpapa and Sandyslosenit like this.
  6. beacon

Blog Posts:
    Having my photos hosted by Google and/or Shutterfly.com, I also always have them available (provided a cell or wifi connection, of course) on my phone (without actually being "on my phone").

shotgunpapa and Sandyslosenit like this.
  7. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    This is why a lot of folks have gone mirror-less.

Personally I went with a Canon SL1 since it is light, compact, and was cheap as a refurbished unit. I then picked up one of their 24mm STM pancake lens. At F 2.8 it's relatively fast, but more importantly it's sharp as a Mora and also light and compact.

I still use my phone at times for convenience but the photos just don't compare. I must admit that at times I shoot in Jpeg since I'm too lazy to do any post processing. It helps for photos that you just want to load quickly. Just be sure to chimp to ensure that you got it right.

rsnurkle and shotgunpapa like this.
  8. teb_atoz

teb_atoz Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    and a lot of phones take better pictures then some DLSR. I have a friend whos wife is a professional photographer and they use their phones. It is easy and convienent. So long and short of it your in good company.

shotgunpapa and 2jka like this.
  9. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was gonna take a picture of my camera, but ..... Well, nevermind. :D Hehehe.

10. JasonAVGuy

JasonAVGuy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I too shoot with a D7000 I have a full frame 28-300mm lens that is just to large to hike with even with a hiking pack made for it. I have tried many times and wish I didn't 10 miles later. I find my self still wanting a better image and sensor then my iPhone 6 Plus can offer. Sometime I put a small fisheye on my camera it sure does make it nicer to carry. Here is a picture of my father (I don't think he will mind) taken with the fish eye and there is no way I could get the same thing with my iPhone. I also love to print 13x19in and a iPhone just won't cut it. A picture uploaded here won't do it justice because of the size restrictions but her it is anyways. I find my self really wanting a compact camera like a Sony RX1r II but at $3k it's out of my ballpark. I do enjoy renting cameras like that for big trips the once a year I need something that nice renting is great. Finally I will say that sensor size it the biggest thing to me you just can compare a large sensor camera to a iPhone. image.jpeg

rsnurkle, LokoLobo, bobc and 4 others like this.
  11. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just started using my dslr again after years of just using a camera phone. I last used my Minolta Maxxum 35mm...yeah I have one of those...back in 2001 when we were in WDW. Way to heavy to lug around. Every family vacation after that I used a camera phone. The only reason I went to a DSLR is because of my travels to national parks and my disability...I can't walk very far so the "lugging" isn't and issue. That, and my current phone sucks...really sucks...really, really...you get the picture(pun intended).

12. Shnick

Shnick Bushwhacker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    As primary video, I use either Sony's Handycam HDR CX-220 or a Canon Vixia HDF R600, which I recently picked up. I also have a Canon T5 which I wanted to shoot backup video with, then an underwater capable Fujifilm XP 150.
    I have a pack issue, not so much a "room" thing as it is a multi camera system issue.
    Currently have everything packed efficiently in a Vanguard 46.
    I wish for a pack that can handle my gear safely, but also include my main "battle pack" with my standard overnight bushcraft gear I normally take out.
    I could use the el cheap I bag that came with the T5, but it's not quite big enough.

Then you got all the ND filters, accessories, tripods, etc... It all takes up room.
    When I want to leave the Jeep behind, it's too much gear.

Cell phones are ok for occasional spontaneous use.

lostagann, Yankee and shotgunpapa like this.
  13. Lars

Lars Angry German Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I take my Canon with me whenever I can and use it almost every day. The quality is much better and worth the weight to me.

rsnurkle, NJHeart2Heart, svh and 3 others like this.
  14. 2jka

2jka Scout

Blog Posts:
    I find That having a camera on me at all times to take a picture and good composition is more important than really anything else so phone fore me Sometimes I do miss the optical zoom though. Here is a collection of some of my photos taken with my phones onTumblr: 2jka

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Alpha6, rsnurkle, Shnick and 4 others like this.
  15. beacon

Blog Posts:
    Seriously? Which phone(s)? I'm not saying that some phones can't take decent pictures, but I've yet to see any phone photo better than a DSLR photo, assuming the same level of photography skill applied for both. Maybe some phone photographers are better than some DSLR photographer, but that's totally about the photographer; The camera is only a tool, and composition is a huge part of the equation. I can understand the weight argument, and the convenience argument, but not this quality argument.

rsnurkle, Sloany, DiverJosh30 and 6 others like this.
  16. shotgunpapa

shotgunpapa Scout

Blog Posts:
    them were taken with your cell phone not bad.

2jka likes this.
  17. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Yeah.. I hear ya on that battery drain. When hubby and I were in Maine recently, we were constantly checking our phone power and I tended to keep mine on airplane mode unless I was taking pics actively.. It definitely helped as he was usually more in need of recharge quicker than me.

rsnurkle and Usingmyrights like this.
  18. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    There's definitely a balance between convenience/lightweightness, quality, and, as you said just plain interest. As I'm getting older I'm finding that I don't feel the need to take sooo many photos... and that I'm happy to be in the moment making the memory in my own head.. though I do tend to take some reference photos wherever I am to job said "old" brain for memories ;)

rsnurkle and beacon like this.
  19. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Having the phone always with me is very handy but the quality is better with my dslr so we take it on trips etc.
    We have a WiFi SD card so that we can send them to an app on the phone but I don't know how to work it.

Look into them, you may be able to beat your husband to Facebook with a better photo.

Good luck

rsnurkle likes this.
  20. therocket

therocket Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree, I don't think any phone can beat a recent mid grade dslr and above. It is just simple, the bigger the sensor the better the quality, and the better the lens the better the quality. A full frame professional camera's sensor is full sized so no crop factor is applied. I highly doubt that if the same good photographer took the same shot that a phone could beat the dslr. If you plop on a high grade lens then the quality will increase even further.

Sure some recent phones do have good cameras but to beat a dslr you need a sensor just as large.

21. Brassaxe

Brassaxe Axe Restoration

Blog Posts:
    Next to that one place with the thing, U.S.
    Micro 4/3rds cameras are getting much much more serious lately. If you like photography but hate the weight of a DSLR then look at some of these.

I used to use a Panasonic GF3 for about five years. Carried it into the woods, took it in the city, used it everywhere. It was even on a trip on an aircraft carrier for three weeks. To date it's taken 24,778 pictures. The little guy did some work.. Mostly with a 14mm F2.5 (Equivalent to a ~28mm). However the manual options were hidden behind touch screen menus. That was not so cool..

I just recently picked up the Panasonic GX85 and it's an entirely more capable animal.. Pair it with a Panasonic Pro series lens or the newer Olympus lens and there will be few if any reasons to need a ASP-H or full frame camera. Right now it has an Olympus 45mm f1.8(Equivalent to ~90mm) and I can't even begin to tell you how well this setup works. I have about a half dozen lenses for Micro 4/3rds cameras but the 45mm is something special. For going into the woods or landscapes I would probably get a 14-40mm.

rsnurkle, Lichen and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  22. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    As of recently, my work phone has become my EDC camera. My old grand-dad Canon rebel XT hasn't been touched now (Except for battery charging) for almost 2 years. (Sadly) The one thing my canon has over my phone is the ability to shoot distances with my IS 70-400mm lens. Used to take the Canon birding all the time with that lens.

rsnurkle likes this.
  23. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Which wifi sd do you have? I tried eyefi a while back and it wound up being too "persnickety" for me to bother with. When we are on vacations I usually bring my macbook pro with me and download each evening. That way I'm not **too** far behind the "8 ball" on FB ;)

2jka likes this.
  24. Chris eyes wide open

Chris eyes wide open Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great question. Photography is the reason I started being interested in Bushcraft. That being said; I am a die hard camera man. however I heard once from somewhere not sure where that a camera setting at home is no good to you, so at least if you have a camera phone you will at least have it with you most of the time. That is better than no camera at all. Depending on your reasons for taking a photo and if it is not for professional reasons then a phone might work well for most people.

Whatever the reason. Enjoy the moment, Capture the moment and Share the moment with someone special!

rsnurkle and NJHeart2Heart like this.
  25. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Transcend is the brand but I have not played with it much.

26. whoever

whoever Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Cell phones work fine in perfect conditions or where you aren't doing anything in post. Dslrs rule the day in all other situations. 5+ FPS at up to f/1.4 on a 35mm image sensor with useable Iso up to 128k and 25megapixel resolution at a cost of weight and money for the win. That being said...the camera you have with you is better than the camera you don't (much like firearms) means that a dslr isn't always the "right" camera for the job

Chris eyes wide open and 2jka like this.
  27. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    take what you will always take. your style can adapt to the phone. i usually run an olympus om-d e-m5, a micro 4/3 that is very compact and tough, as long as one keeps the lenses compact. the thing i don't like about phone cameras is that there is no viewfinder; a viewfinder allows very careful composition; looking at the back of a phone or digital camera does not do it for me, although i do occasionally get some good, quick stuff with my phone.

28. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Foulwind- yep.. my thoughts exactly.. The emotional part of it is what I was observing here... I just feel so sad and guilty.. like I'm somehow a traitor to the hobby photographer community (and digital photo organizing/processing, all of which I was very active in over the years until recently) for favoring my little Samsung Note 7!! It's good to know I'm not alone!!

29. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    @Paul Foreman- that is very true. That reminds me of something funny...I used to be a bit of a DSLR camera "snob".. I was very fond of (inwardly of course!) rolling my eyes when I asked people to take a picture of my husband and I with my good camera, and they actually **had no concept** of looking through a physical viewfinder!! I would then smile and turn on my LCD screen for their benefit while inwardly snickering... "amateurs".. mind you I'm an amateur myself (as it relates to the official definition of the word) and some people who use camera phones only have BLOWN ME AWAY in terms of the awesome quality/composition photos they've shared :D

rsnurkle and Paul Foreman like this.
  30. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Well said Chris :)

31. bobc

bobc Scout

Blog Posts:
    I love my Nikon dslr.....and I use it a lot....and I use my iPhone too, mainly for impromptu snap shots.....I shoot a lot of macro pics of flowers and butterflies, using the dslr in manual mode...all of my product shots are with the dslr, inside of a light tent, using led lighting......I find I have more control with my dslr, depth of field etc...maybe I'm old school, but I just like the feel of my "big boy"camera in my hands....

my son, who is also into photography ( food and fine art), will go into NYC for the day and bring our dslr's and have a one lens contest, zoom or fixed is fine....I love walking around different neighborhoods and being creative....clears out the cobwebs.....

Bob

Guy and beacon like this.
  32. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails Narcoleptic Insomniac Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I wonder if the question is how you use your DSLR. Some just put it on "P" for "Professional":4: and take a picture - While others will use the full manual controls and take a photograph.
    Do phone cameras allow you to control the shutter speed and aperture (I honestly don't know)? A camera with full manual controls allow you to control your aperture so you can
    control depth of field and hyperfocal focus, they allow you to control your shutter speed to stop motion or show motion (waterfall for example).

If you want to have full control of your exposure by dialing in your correct shutter speed / aperture combination and have the ability to interchange lenses and get the results you
    visualize before you actually take the photograph then a DSLR is best. If you are just taking pictures for social media and such then a phone works well.

Truth is, they both have their place but I am old school, grew up shooting medium format for the most part (some 35mm and some large format) and I still use a
    hand-held light meter.....and I miss film (just too lazy to deal with it these days)

I think the main difference between a photograph and a picture is with the photograph, the photographer can visualize exactly how he/she wants the image to look
    prior to pushing the button and is able to achieve the desired result consistently. This usually takes quite a bit of time, knowledge, practice and experience.

If you ever get the chance, look at anything by Ansel Adams or the book "Quiet Light" by John Sexton and you will see exactly what a "photograph" is.

33. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Hi Bob.
    I love my DSLR, and I use it on all levels of control, both manual and priority settings. The topic was about the balance between the convenience of carrying a phone camera - in pocket, etc. vs. carrying the extra weight including lens, of a DSLR... although others have poignantly reminded me about the control and quality of good quality camera shots vs. phone :)

I think, for me, my end purposes have changed over time. I've become more casual - using my photos more for Facebook and online sharing, vs. prints and scrapbooking, which I used to do regularly.

34. GoodPhotos

GoodPhotos Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Deep in wild wooded Western foothills of Maine
    I've made my living with cameras since 1985 (for the most part.) About two years ago I sold all of my venerable Nikons and went all in with Fuji X series cameras. They have the same APS-C sensor that most of my Nikons had, but are half the size/weight of a DSLR. They are actually even a bit smaller than my old Leica but my favourite (the X-E2 body) is the same rangefinder style layout. The BEST part for someone who loves old cameras is that with adapters I can use just about ANY lens ever made for any camera on my Fujis with full manual or Aperture Priority modes and can manually focus the lenses 'THROUGH THE LENS.' With the Fuji App I can also shoot (in RAW) process to JPEG in camera and upload to social media in the field and on the spot.

Mirrorless cameras (aka "ILC"...aka "Interchangeable Lens Cameras") are a Godssend when you want to carry small and light, but still have more quality than the tiny tiny tiny sensor on a cellphone will offer you in available darkness. :)

35. Yankee

Yankee Scout

Blog Posts:
    For me, it's a Canon T5i with a mixture of new & used accessories.
    I'm in the process now of looking for a b-roll camera so I've set my sights on a Canon T3i with
    nearly identical video quality output and all my accessories would be interchangeable with the T5i.

[​IMG]

36. Skunkfoot

Skunkfoot Scout

Blog Posts:
    DLSR's are great for doing more customizable work. You can really adjust the settings and get really good photos if you know how your camera works and understand the fundamentals of photography and how light works and stuff.

However, the best camera is the one that's with you when you need it. Phone cameras these days are pretty great at close range photos. If you were doing a landscape or low-light photo shoot, a DLSR would be much better, but for your general bushcrafty photos, camera phones can usually take decent enough photos to get by. Especially if you do some editing to them. Even just simple stuff like adjusting the exposure and contrast a bit can make a huge difference.

There's a free app called Photoshop Express that I use for simple photo editing and it works wonders. The before and after photos are dramatically different, even with minute alterations!

Besides, good photography is more about the photographer than the camera anyway. Don't think that you can't take good photos if you don't have a $7000 camera with you, cause that's just not true! :)

--Skunkfoot

rsnurkle, NJHeart2Heart and 2jka like this.
  37. Exy

Exy Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I've got a 4 year old canon powershot, and a cheap $100 samsung phone. I much prefer the canon, even though it's long been since time I upgrade. I certainly wouldn't mind hauling a better camera around.

Phones take good macros, but everything else requires too much editing to make it look like a more expensive camera.

NJHeart2Heart likes this.
  38. CaptainHaddock

CaptainHaddock Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This an unedited photo from an iphone 5c, which i took on a local dog walk and just won the bcuk facebook comp this month. :57:

I know nothing about photography. So I guess it was just right place, right time.
    [I know this because most of my others are out of focus or just a pile of poop]

[​IMG]

rsnurkle, GoodPhotos, beacon and 4 others like this.
  39. Leshy

Leshy Scout

Blog Posts:
    It was won fair and square bud.
    Lovely shot, right place and time.
    .[emoji106]

rsnurkle and CaptainHaddock like this.
  40. WildMedGuru

WildMedGuru Scout

Blog Posts:
    Fun Topic.
    I went from shooting professionally (and my work at the time had nothing to do with nature ;)), to literally selling off nearly everything several years ago...........
    Other passions, career upgrades, and various other business partner opportunities pulled me away.
    I miss my subject matter I was shooting, but financially It was a good decision to move on at the time.

In the end though, I too found myself more attracted to wanting to pack less and shoot more.
    Its funny because I'll lug around a ridiculous amount of weight with bushcraft gear, but tossing in some huge camera rig just started getting old.

Currently, besides my iPhone, I'm personally using a Canon G16 and the new G5X as my go to cameras - and rarely with any accessories -just grab and go
    The two canon's basically fill the niche from all the features and control you can cram in a small P&S camera without branching out into full frame and or multiple lenses.

I found I didn't mind these tiny kits riding in a EDC bag daily, and or being tossed in the vehicle or travel bag much more often than I did the massive pelican cases i was used to.
    That alone, led me to finding myself capturing many more memories due to sheer convenience.

Up until I made this move, I wasn't satisfied unless i have a bag full of multiple camera bodies, lenses, filters, accessories, flashes, stands, reflectors, etc......creatively obsessed?
    Again, re-stated.........the best camera is the one you are willing to carry with you.

41. NJHeart2Heart

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing.. I was out this weekend doing pumpkin hunting with my nephews and family, and decided to dig out my Nikon D7000. At first I was like "oh my goodness this is HEAVY! (just with a kit lens)", but once I got used to it again, I did like the speed and zoom capabilities. However, just as before I found the biggest annoyance is lack of convenience for online posting. I still have to download my photos, while all my other family members have already posted all their pics from the festivities... I feel hopelessly behind.. and it's a big reason why I've stepped away from it for a while. The "eyefi" I tried did not work well at all, so unless there's a better (reasonably priced) option to getting them auto-uploaded, I think I'll have to contend with that inner tension.

42. Odie

Odie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My wife and I also have a Nikon D7000 that doesn't see much use. We got it more as something for taking portraits with. Times when we're going to put effort into nice pictures. As for travel and outings, the cameras on our phones take such good pictures that we wouldn't be able to justify the weight and complexity of the DSLR. But they're fantastic for pics in the dark of night if you know what you're doing!

43. Zanimal

Zanimal Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's really hard to bring out the 1D mk III and a 70-200 on a hike when the new iPhone takes such great photos such as these.
    Dynamic range is an issue with the telephoto sensor which is used in portrait mode. The wide angle detector is much better.

IMG_0148.jpg IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg IMG_0254.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    rsnurkle, AnthemBassMan and alukban like this.
  44. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    My Galaxy S5 takes better pics than any of my digital point and shoots and it's always on me. My pics lately have turned out great and they are all with the phone.

Flint B (11).jpg

rsnurkle likes this.
  45. Odie

Odie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Let's face it, as technology continues to advance, those large, bulky DSLRs should either shrink and get lighter, or fade away as cameras on smartphones continue to catch up on picture quality. I don't think they will fade away due to the professional application. And the limiting factor in weight reduction of a DSLR are the large lenses. Though those large lenses are also their saving grace for those times when you really need LOTS of zoooooooom.

46. 3Rotts

3Rotts Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am an amateur photographer as well and really like my Nikon D700 with some fast glass, typically 70-200 f/2.8. With that said to get to OP question most phones are "good enough" for what most people want out of a picture, quick, easy and post on line somewhere. I believe it was about 2-3 years ago one of the major city news papers fired all their staff Pro-Photographers. Their justification was Joe Plumber walking down the street was quicker with his phone and the pictures were "Good enough". By the time the paper could deploy a photographer the excitement was over.

I still enjoy taking pictures where I control shutter, aperture and ISO. Then I like to down load and play around in LR. I also like to print big, I have a picture hanging in my house that is around 18" x 30" (I forget the exact ratio) and you will not be able to print that big with a picture from a phone without some serious editing and still have grain or pixilation.

rsnurkle, NCLivingBrit and lostagann like this.
  47. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    Definitely a time for the big glass and shiny lenses.... But for most, I think the reign of the dedicated camera is at an end. Even for the usual 8x10 framed print most people would want, a decent phone camera is going to do it.

Which is sad, I miss camera stores. They always had interesting side items.

48. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Chief Curmudgeon Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I take my X-pro everywhere. It's not too big and it takes way better pics than my phone.

GoodPhotos likes this.
  49. 3Rotts

3Rotts Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hence why I mentioned the newspaper firing all the staff photographers. :)

NCLivingBrit likes this.
  50. NCLivingBrit

NCLivingBrit Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, the times they are a changing.