For hobby photographers that use "real" cameras.. and phone cameras

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by NJHeart2Heart, Aug 30, 2016.

1. AnthemBassMan

AnthemBassMan Scout

Blog Posts:
    I took this with my iPhone 5c. Definitely a basic camera in it, but it does a decent job. This field is maybe a half mile up the road from me and I just had to stop when I saw them baling.
    IMG_1707 (2).JPG

L8R,
    Matt

NCLivingBrit and rsnurkle like this.
  2. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Thanks to everyone for comments about cameras and camera systems they've looked into on the question of reducing camera system weight and volume.

When I decided to get myself a camera a number of years ago, I decided to try to maximize sensor size while staying in the "point-and-shoot" size and weight format. I ended up with a refurbished Canon S90, and still love it with all of my heart and take it on 95% of my outings. It's been getting a little more beat up recently, so I'm trying to learn more about possible replacement systems. That said, I'm going to keep this camera until it actually dies on me, because I've learned how to make it perform well, well beyond my smartphone camera systems and the weight and form factor is extremely convenient for that comparative performance (in terms of image quality, depth of focus and exposure controls generally).

NCLivingBrit likes this.
  3. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Some of these were taken with a crop sensor DSLR, some with a smartphone. I'm curious if folks can tell which is which without looking at the exif data. I love having a decent camera in my pocket at all times and given the right subject and lighting it can take some decent photos, but there is no substitute for glass, sensor size, and manual controls in my mind. YMMV.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IMG_20170209_170315.jpg
    [​IMG]

Edgeman, mainewoods and NCLivingBrit like this.
  4. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    @MJGEGB, my guesses are:
    dslr (mossy rocks)
    smartphone (rocky overlook)
    dslr (snail and strawberry)
    dslr (forested hills)
    smartphone (pool)
    smartphone (axe)

But I'm mainly going by color/vividness, because I'm not sure I've seen a smartphone pull of the DOF placement in the rocky overlook photo; I definitely think one could pull off the close-in focus of the snail + strawberry; and a DSLR could probably generate the axe photo in low light conditions.

atlastrekker, tabasco_joe and MJGEGB like this.
  5. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    You nailed it, which tells me that I'm not the only one who can see a difference between the two types of cameras. I should have also mentioned that I'm an absolute novice photographer, not trying to represent myself as a seasoned or professional photographer by any means.

atlastrekker and rsnurkle like this.
  6. stillman

stillman Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Most current digital cameras can produce a good photo in the right conditions. The ability to create a good photograph in difficult conditions is why I sometimes carry a more capable camera. I said "sometimes" because there are many times that I leave my camera gear at home and just shoot pictures with my phone, even when the conditions will not be ideal. It all depends on the intent of the trip or the possibility of producing photos with commercial value.

I think the best compromise is mirrorless systems with APS-C sized sensors. The only brand I have personal experience with is Fuji but I hear that other manufacturers produce some very good cameras in this space as well. My Fuji X100S is a few years old but I'm still impressed by the photos I am able to make with it.

7. Zanimal

Zanimal Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Would love to hear more about that camera.
    The sad state of my photography is nobody but me notices the difference between a cellphone picture and my DSLR.
    I can slow down and work on composition but I enjoy the manual operation of a camera. Still my cellphone is darn good.
    IMG_0340.jpg

8. atlastrekker

atlastrekker Salty Sea Dog Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That IS a good picture. As for the Fuji cameras, they are compact and take awesome pictures. When I first started using them the X-pro 1 was pretty much the only kid on the play ground. Now there are several competitors that are as good if not better. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the mirrorless cameras on the market today, find one that feels comfortable and go to work.

GoodPhotos and rsnurkle like this.
  9. GoodPhotos

GoodPhotos Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Deep in wild wooded Western foothills of Maine
    I actually prefer the slightly smaller X-E bodies and am very much hoping that the next generation (X-E3?) will have a flip LCD. That will make it just about the perfect format for the way i shoot. (I have an X-20, X-A1, X-E1, X-E2, X-T10 and X-T1...had an X-Pro1, but found it too large and blocky for my hands...kind of like the Leica M5 was compared to the other M bodies.)
    :)
    Regardless, I've shot with just about everything under the sun since I began shooting for dollars in 1985, and I'm totally in love with Fuji's X system.

10. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have two cameras.The one I use most,at least on all my hikes,overnighters,and video making at home is my Nikon P80 10 MegaPixel.It's basically a simple point and shoot,takes fair to good photos.I NEVER use my phone camera,as it's only so-so.The P80 is small and lightweight.I carry it with the strap around my neck,because I never know when I'll be needing it.Recently I got some photos of a Ruffed Grouse who walked right on up to my Jeep,and last summer I got a shot of a fawn standing along the railroad tracks I travel on to reach my camp.I look forward to Spring and Summer when the wildflowers are in bloom,not to mention colorful fungi growing out of rotted stumps.I use the camera year round as there are so many photo shooting opportunities.I'm on the novice level,and would love a better camera,though the P80 has seen me through several years now.
    062.JPG grouseshot (1).JPG snail (6).JPG myartwork (16).JPG DSCN1763.JPG DSCN1782.JPG DSCN1879.JPG 17499554_1470750799610420_8838932826763722306_n.jpg DSCN3299.JPG DSCN3327.JPG

11. Damian1690

Damian1690 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I do photography as a hobby but am hoping to start a part time business too. I use a full frame Canon 6D. For lenses I use the Canon 24-105 f/4L and Canon 135mm f/2L. It's a very heavy system, but I think ultimately it's worth it. One thing I found to help with the weight is a quick sling strap like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Case-Logic...F8&qid=1495400850&sr=8-2&keywords=quick+sling

A cell phone is ok when it's all you got but it doesn't compare to what a DSLR and quality lenses can produce. Here are a few examples of what I've taken. IMG_0062FB.jpg 18447595_10212195874348858_917666079155671753_n.jpg IMG_0599.JPG IMG_8211.JPG 17974735_10211929076999091_1310045936_n.jpg

Brew-Jitsu and atlastrekker like this.
  12. EvanStinson

EvanStinson Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have just used my phone for years and years now. Obviously a nice DSLR is more versatile but for what I do the phone is fine. And my iPhone 7 shoots video all the way up to 4K.

mainewoods likes this.
  13. Brew-Jitsu

Brew-Jitsu Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Glad to find this thread - thanks @NJHeart2Heart

It's good timing to
    get suggestions for a supplemental camera to a smart phone as I'm currently having trouble finding something that will be more approachable for a novice and not insanely expensive. I've been looking at the Sony RX-100 line, but they are a bit spendy. At any rate, below are some some of the images I've landed with my phone, an S7 Edge.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2017 at 11:08 PM
    NJHeart2Heart and rsnurkle like this.