1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Forged Squirrel Cooker and Grill sets

Discussion in 'Mullins Forge and Metalworks' started by EddieMullins, Oct 20, 2014.

1. EddieMullins

EddieMullins Scout Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Well this is what sparked my vendor venture here. I wanted a grill I could use with my current squirrel cookers, and after some thought this is what I came up with. Its about 50" of 1/4" mild steel coil into a grill about 5 1/2" - 6" in diameter and about 18" long over all. It slips onto 1/4" round supports, and can be adjusted up or down or rotated as need. The weight on the grill locks it in place, release the weight and it can moved. Its light weight, compact and very serviceable for personal meals.

To accompany it, I also have made 1/4" square cookers with a fork and pot holder on the opposite end. The square stock allows them to be rotated 1/4 turns while cooking. The first ones I made were 27" and 19", but could easily alter the length.

I am also considering going with a single long skewer rather than the pot holder. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this mod or others. Customization and collaboration are welcome.

Grill
    grill on holder 1 10-19-14.jpg

Grill and 27" cooker
    grill and cooker on holder 1 10-19-14.jpg

Field testing, it passed
    camfire cooking-2 10-18-14.jpg

I like the light weight nature of this set up, 1 lb 7oz for 27" and 1 lb 5 oz for 19" , but it does have its limitations. It'll handle a light weight pot and could cups of water no problem, a quart is pushing things, if you would like something out of bigger stock to handle bigger cooking chores, I could accommodate that too.

I'll be posting updates here and in the classifieds - don't be shy about giving me your feedback and suggestions or requests. You can post here or PM me if you would like to get on the list. I will be making more this weekend.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    I wanted to provide a comment about the finish on the set. To keep things food safe and provide some rust protection the hot pieces are coated with vegetable oil, and then wiped down before completely cooling, much like seasoning cast iron. I find this finish to be very serviceable, but like cast iron, it does require some care and occasional maintenance. I can also do a traditional beeswax finish if desired, this will require similar care for similar performance, but takes longer for me to apply to individual pieces, so would come with an little higher price.... which reminds, I never posted the price in this thread. The current price is $40 shipped.

3. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    I have had a request for a larger version of the set, so will be experimenting with some different material sizes and configurations. I'll be sure to post the results.

4. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been wanting to get a squirrel cooker.

5. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    I'd be more than happy to make one for you : ) .

6. ANFwoodsman

ANFwoodsman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like the grill idea!

7. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    Thanks!

8. Scratch4x4

Scratch4x4 Guide

Blog Posts:
    $40 shipped?!? Count me in for a grill!

9. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the order! It'll go out first thing next week.

10. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    I have been busy in the shop. Thanks for the orders!

I thought I would post picture of the 19" set so you can see what it looks like.

19 inch grill and cooker on holder 10-26-14.jpg

I also got a pic of a couple of the grills in the forge.

grill forge WIP 10-26-14.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  11. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    I want to thank all of you that have ordered one of these sets! I really hope that you will enjoy them and would love to get your feedback. You have actually ran me out of supplies so I have to go restock today. I thinks it’s a good problem to have : ) .

I wanted to provide a little update on the listings and cost for the sets. I am listing them on Panjo Classifieds, but you can always request a set, or sets, or a custom order, even if you don't see the add. I am going to list the 27” and 19” separately on Panjo to simplify ordering for you and fulfillment for me. I have also discovered my initial shipping and supply estimates were off when I attempted to go with flat rate shipping. Rather than $40 flat rate, I will be listing them for $32 plus actual shipping cost. For most of the country this will still be right around the $40 mark.

BTW For those that would like to send a Postal MO, that’s fine also, just IM me and we’ll set it up.

12. Scratch4x4

Scratch4x4 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just got in from a little backyard excursion. Practiced a few very simple camp chores, and set up my squirrel cooker to test fit everything.

[​IMG]

It sets up easily. Haven't had a chance to use it over a fire, but its definitely sturdy enough for some Texas ribeyes! Can't wait to use it.

Super fast shipping too BTW!!! Thank you!

13. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    Glad you like it and thanks for the pic! I am about to head out and fire up the forge now to make some more : ) .

14. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    I just got in from trying out a new stock size - 5/16 inch. I think this will provide a good option for those wanting to do a little more robust cooking, it will take care of your meats, or you can use it for supporting your pots and pan too. This set will handle over a quart of water no problem. I didn't have a larger pot at the shop, so also set a 4 lb hammer on it, no issues. Obviously its still not big enough to handle large cast iron, etc, but you not likely to be packing that in anyway. I still really like the 1/4 inch set, its very light, and ideal for individual small meals, but if you want to up size things a bit, and don't mind that it weighs an extra 8 oz , still a very light kit at 1 lb 13 oz vs 1 lb 5 oz for the 19 inch set, you might really like the 5/16 inch version. I'll be posting them in the classifieds shortly. There will be a little price difference. I am currently selling the 1/4 inch sets for $32 plus shipping, the 5/16 inch sets will be $36 plus shipping.

Here's a pic of the 5/16 grill

5-16 grill on holder10-31-14.jpg

and with 1 quart plus of water

5-16 grill on holder 1qt 10-31-14.jpg

and a comparison with the 1/4 inch grill

5-16 and 1-4 grill on holder 10-31-14.jpg

15. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    I normally do 5/16 round for the grill and support and use 1/4 square for the cooker, but just completed this custom order with the cooker itself up sized to 5/16 in square and 24 inches long. Its a beefy set up.

custom 5 16 x 24 inch cooker 4-27-16.jpg

16. RandyTLawhorn

RandyTLawhorn Scout

Blog Posts:
    Eddie,
    They look great to me. I think they will work great for the people that want to cook some larger cuts of meat.

17. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    Here is a review I received this morning for one of the sets. As always happy customers are my goal and I really appreciate feedback.

"Eddie,The SQUIRREL COOKER worked GREAT.Cooked a Cornish hen on the forked end and loved the square stock used so meat could be turned in quarter sections.Used the grill to cook bannock,lightly oiled first to prevent sticking and it worked great,also.Grill also heated h2o for coffee and heated cans of beans.I love the design and versatility of this product.Will use on all my treks."

I never thought of using the grill for bannock, great idea and shows the versatility of these cookers.

18. Erk469

Erk469 Scout

Blog Posts:
    You can count me in, I will take a grill and a cooker, 5/16 at 24 inches long. thanks

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  19. dustinf

dustinf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't have one of these yet, but Eddie is a top knotch guy.

I've commissioned him to build me a couple custom items. He's always delivered exactly what I've dreamed up and very quickly as well.

20. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    PM sent

21. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    The 5/16 inch grill and up sized 24 inch long, 5/16 inch square cooker seem to have become the preferred configuration of this set. Here is the latest one, its going out in the mail tomorrow, but I will make to order , $40 plus actual shipping.

squirrel cooker a 8-16-15.jpg

22. EddieMullins

Blog Posts:
    Got a question about these so bumping back for to top for visibility.