Frost River decisions

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by Huckelberryhound22, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Huckelberryhound22

Huckelberryhound22 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    isle royal jr or summit boulder and why
    Help me decide what pack to get

blind & lost likes this.
  2. wiwoodsman

wiwoodsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Tell us what you wish to accomplish with your outdoor activities. You’ve posted a pretty open question.

3. Huckelberryhound22

Blog Posts:
    Both packs are similar in size jr being a bit bigger looking at camping 2-3 days at a time I like the look of boulder better but there’s a lot I like about jr that I like as well

4. Huckelberryhound22

Blog Posts:
    Any input if u have one of these packs is appreciated

5. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I recently purchased the Jr. The Boulder never really got my interest. I didn't like the zipper around the bottom, though I understand its principle. And I really wanted the two pouches on the back with axe/shovel tunnel between them. I've watched enough videos that it looked like a very functional setup. Regardless of the pack maker.
    Also, I'm not sure if the Boulder has the slip pockets on the sides like the Jr does. That's a handy place to slide a hawk into behind the paracord, or keep your small grill grate or Firebox stove. I liked the Jr's width to help spread out my items so they weren't all stacked on top of each other, too.
    The Jr just appealed to me more.

AdirondackBadger likes this.
  6. Gramp Camp

Gramp Camp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have the Jr and it works great. Plenty of room, I bought it used as I already had the Sr and wanted a smaller FR pack too. I love both!!

7. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Scout

Blog Posts:
    I agree with @wiwoodsman Some general question to start with - Is this going to be your go to all around bushcraft pack or is it just a day pack? Are you going to use it for anything else such as a daily carry bag for work as well?

Some more specific questions to ask yourself:

How big of a pack do I need/How far will I be traveling? When comparing packs, your should be sure that it will hold enough equipment for the longest trips you will be planning with it.

What Features Do I need? This is more of a personal thing and can somewhat depend on what sort of gear own/plan to take. In this case for example, do you include water bottle pockets or are you okay carrying your water inside the pack? Will you want to strap anything to the bottom such as a bed roll?

How Does it Fit? Hard to tell without actually trying one on in person. Do you have a long or short torso? Are you looking for something that rides a little higher or do you want this to cover your back from shoulders to the base of hips? If there is somewhere that you can do this, you should. Some stores will have weight bags to fill a pack with. Try out 20-25 lbs and see what you think. If they happen to not have these on site, bring a loadout of gear with you that you would be likely to take for the longest period of time you would be out with this pack.

What does your gear weigh? In this scenario, just calculate for are non-consumables you would bring in the woods, not including the pack itself - cook kit, tools, shelter, sleep system, possibles, etc. Again, be sure to account for the greatest length of time you would be afield. If you are the type who can consistently keep this weight under 15 pounds or less, you might be able to get away with the smaller pack.

This weight in my case comes to 15.9 pounds including my sleep system, shelter, cooking and brew kits, tools (not including axe), a small first aid kit, a sawyer mini water filter kit, some cordage, compass, headlamp, and a small toilet kit.
    • Other things to consider - this weight does not include any packed clothes, no axe, no possibles and sundries other than the Sawyer mini and a bit of cordage, no hygiene kit, no extra batteries for my headlamp or any sort of camera gear/electronics.
    Taking all this into account when choosing my Frost River, I ended up with the Isle Royale Jr. My goal was to have a pack to wasn't too big for a day outing but would still give me room for 1-3 nights out. Three nights is pushing it however some weight can generally be saved in the food department.

LoaferX and Harper like this.
  8. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Scout

Blog Posts:
    The tunnel on the back and the side slip pockets are a definite plus. The pockets are great for carrying longer items such as a bucksaw or tripod. I also like the expandability - both up and out, which the Junior offers.

9. Huckelberryhound22

Blog Posts:
    Valid points jr it is thank you gents

PAcanis likes this.
  10. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've got a Jr., a Summit Expedition, and a Haversack. The Jr is heavy and uncomfortable after prolonged use though is probably the coolest looking pack out there. There are many other packs that are much more comfortable for long duration hiking.
    My Summit Expedition is a great day hike pack and I've use it for airline commuting too.
    You really need to evaluate how much room you need and how much gear needs to go with first then figure out a pack to accommodate that.

11. Huckelberryhound22

Blog Posts:
    There will be more day hikes with the kids than anything but I would like a pack that can do both comfortably I guess that’s what I’m really trying to figure out bang for my buck I’d rather have a little larger pack than not enough pack that would still work for day hikes

12. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    FR packs aren't the best for hiking.

Up until they recently broke faith with their customers by changing their Lifetime Guarantee, I would have encouraged you to look at either the waxed canvas or polyester version of the LL Bean Continental Ruck. It has the same features you are looking for but has a better back and suspension. It is not as big as the JR in its expanded form, but is enough for a 2-3 (non-winter) overnighter depending on how you pack and is perfect for a day hike with kids.

Read the reviews here on the site.

Out of principle, because of LLB's recent actions, I can't outright recommend it. But read between the lines.

blind & lost likes this.
  13. Lichen

Lichen Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    If you're looking for comfort, I would suggest neither.

blind & lost likes this.
  14. Huckelberryhound22

Blog Posts:
    I’ve gone the other way had a mystery ranch mountain ruck and crew cab also had eberlestock g4 felt they were bigger than I would like open to suggestions

15. superpaco

superpaco Scout

Blog Posts:

Boom. This.