Further streamlining my travel kit cutting tools

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by batmanacw, Aug 18, 2018.

1. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    Over the years I've carried a dozen different knives in my travel get home kit. I fly all over the United States for my job. All kinds of climates and weather conditions.

At first it was just a Mora. Then I went to a tougher Mora to do more things with it, batoning and such. As I learned more I realized the huge labor savings of carrying even a light weight hawk and folding saw. Not for building log cabins to live in the woods, but for good old fire making and shelter frames.

I added a cold steel Trailhawk, then later a modified CRKT Woods Chogan. I added a folding Gerber saw and then a Opinel no 12 folding saw.

Then came my slight addiction to Swiss Army knives.....

I am enjoying the heck out of doing all the bushcraft chores I do with my SAKs. Carving notches and making feather sticks and pot hangers and generally having fun. When I look at all I can do with a simple pocket knife, safely and efficiently, I wonder why I stressed over having tougher tools in the first place.

My swiss army addiction made it into my EDC with the Farmer, now the Pioneer X because I find the scissors to be more useful day to day than the saw. 3.3 oz

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ERN8JOO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_HthEBbTSR4R4F

I moved away from a beautiful Kellam Wolverine and Opinel no 12 saw to a Victorinox Rangergrip 78. Mostly because it put my saw and main blade into one package without sacrificing too much on the saw or blade. It may be a slight loss of capability but a huge reduction in bulk. 6.1 oz

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KNO2916/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_7thEBbBB2B97A

20180817_173257-3991x2993.jpg

20180817_173410-3991x2993.jpg

My hawk was switched out to a Rinaldi Calabria hand axe. With the handle cut to 18" it weighs in at 12 oz total. Get the edge treatment. It's worth it. It cuts far, far above its weight. 6" of maple took me a few minutes to cut with this tiny axe.

http://www.baryonyxknife.com/richaaxe.html

The whole kit; Calabria, SAK 78, and SAK Pioneer X weighs 1 lb 5.4 oz.

I cannot think of a single thing I might actually NEED to do that these tools cannot accomplish.

I travel with a silnylon tarp and two quilts along with a big agnes sleeping pad. There are a few things I might need to improvise each day to get by, but for the most part I'm covered on daily life on a long, long trek home.

What am I missing?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  2. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good choice of tools lad. joe

3. gene stoner

gene stoner Scout

Blog Posts:
  4. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    I want to get some of the reflective paracord for a small lanyard so I can find my knife if I drop it at night.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  5. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You are missing a Patented $500 Survival Do-It-All System........ :D

But seriously, thanks for introducing me to Rinaldi products. They look real practical and I was unaware of them. :)

6. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm particularly in love with the American Boys axe.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  7. Roamer

Roamer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cool post. I think you're hitting some things a lot of us think about.

I'm wondering if the giant size of that SAK 78 makes this combo work for you.? Like, I didn't realize how big the saw is on that sucker. And how much do you actually use the 78's knife blade compared to your Pioneer X?

If you had to choose just one, which would it be: the 78 or Pioneer X?

Oh, and after all that, you gotta post up a pic of your chosen threesome.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  8. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    I just got the 78 some testing is required before I can endorse it, but I can speak from experience that every SAK I've used was quality.

I cannot chose between the two because they serve two different purposes.

The Pioneer X will most definitely get used more. No question. It's my EDC when I'm traveling. I use the screwdrivers and blade daily. Trim my stache with the scissors.

The 78 will ride pretty in my luggage until I need that nice blade or big saw. The tools on it are simply redundancy for my Pioneer X. Same way my Rinaldi rides with me everywhere.

Roamer and ExAF1N1 like this.
  9. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 Purveyor of sharps and savory burnables. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Is the linerlock on the 78 left handed like the one handed Trekker is? If so, I may need to check one out.

10. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    It has a button positioned for your right thumb.

Roamer likes this.
  11. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 Purveyor of sharps and savory burnables. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Dang. Thanks.

12. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    I whipped out a few notches just to get a feel for it. It is NOT as comfortable as my Kellam but it wasn't terrible. I might sand the sharp corners of the plastic a bit along the aluminum outer liners.

The factory edge that I touched up to remove the burr held up perfectly. No damage from scouping/scraping cuts.

I had to reposition my assisting thumb because of the thumb loop bump. No biggie.

I'm actually pretty excited with how it cut. Now I want to cut some more. 20180820_181913.jpg

Wood is dry maple.

gene stoner, Roamer and ExAF1N1 like this.
  13. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like the blades, however, the saw can be improved.

I used to think I had a good efficient saw but on my last trip I worked my butt off sawing thru a bigger log and wondered if I should try something better. The saw I was using was the original Fiskars 6" sliding saw. It was great for it's time but now I tried the Silky F180 and I'm like WOW this thing cuts more than 2x as fast. I counted the cuts and it's literally less than half the number of cuts for the same piece of wood.

Check it out,
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Silky-Saws...Ftha15zBa-AdKhpaWZ2h_l-a9Y233Nc8aAnUlEALw_wcB

14. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    The only improvement in the saw possible would be to shrink the Silky down into my Rangergrip 78. That and the Pioneer X are my only knives. I don't need a bigger saw for building fires and making basic shelters. Especially since I carry a tarp.

15. batmanacw

batmanacw Guide

Blog Posts:
    This is my whole cutting tool and sharpening kit.

20180826_210550.jpg

I re-weighed everything.

The cutting tools weigh 1 lb 13 oz. The total with the sharpening kit is 2 lb 2 oz. A bit more than I thought but not too bad. I added a kydex cover to the Rinaldi. That added a couple ounces.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    gene stoner, Roamer and ExAF1N1 like this.