Gaffer Tape

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by stillman, Jan 5, 2010.

1. stillman

stillman Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I grew up on duct tape. We used it for all sorts of stuff. When I became a photographer I learned about gaffer tape. It is far superior to duct tape and excellent for DIY projects.

It is cloth and the glue does not leave a thick, sticky residue. You can use the same strip over and over so long as it stays clean.

If you stick a strip to itself, sticky to sticky, it forms a very durable strap-like piece of material. I have used to to repair clothing, make a lens case, temporarily repair a strap, make a grippy surface on something slick, etc.

I use this kind:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/20008-REG/General_Brand__Gaffer_Cloth_Tape_.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/20010-REG/General_Brand__Gaffer_Cloth_Tape_.html

And these in various colors:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/108046-REG/Rosco_851052101225_Gaffer_Spike_Tape_.html

And Rip Rap is very useful, too:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/437512-REG/Rip_Tie_G10030BK_RipWrap_Tape_1_0_x30_Black_.html

45jack, JV3, Gruxxx and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tony Torre

Tony Torre Tracker

Blog Posts:
  3. wolfy

wolfy Guest

Blog Posts:
    Duct tape SUCKS!

4. stillman

Blog Posts:
    A few posts here this week mentioned using rubber inner tube as tinder, even if it's wet. I wondered if tape would burn, too.

First, I lit it dry. A 2"x2" square of duct tape and gaffer tape, both lit easily and burned for about 30 seconds.

Second, I submerged the same amount of tape in water for 30 seconds. Each piece caught fire and burned for about the same amount of time. It took a little more time but a couple of seconds from a lighter and they were lit.

Neither would take a spark but it looked like the duct tape was close.

Word to the wise - do not pick up a piece of burning tape! The glue gets extra sticky when it's hot. Touch a stick to it and see.

Noddy, DavidJAFO and Stone like this.
  5. Stone

Stone Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bump to resurrect an old thread.

Question, too. Does gaffer tape stick when the surface is wet? I'm thinking for canoe repair and river use.

6. stillman

Blog Posts:

Not very well. It's also cloth backed, so it wouldn't seal.

Gorilla tape might work, that stuff is pretty nice. Or Flexseal tape.

DavidJAFO, Jim L. and Stone like this.
  7. EXPLORATORAUDACTER

EXPLORATORAUDACTER Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I found gaffer tape works fine to improve the grip on my knives handles it would last several months of use before I replace it or wrap another layer over the old one, also orange and green gaffer works great as markers, I stick a small rectangle on some items in case I drop them on the woods.

stillman likes this.
  8. Scarywoody

Scarywoody Scout

Blog Posts:
    I carry a length of Leukotape in my kit. It's a thin cloth with medical grade adhesive. It's waterproof adhesive and sticks to even wet skin. I use it for cuts, scrapes and blisters (or prevention). In a pinch it binds together like duct tape. I also carry a length of duct tape. Duct tape is made out of Polyethylene (I sell films) and it will burn as it's a petroleum based product.

Noddy, DavidJAFO and stillman like this.
  9. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    @Stone I'd suggest Gorilla patch & seal waterproof tape. Gaffer tape aka "gaffer tape", "gaffa tape" & "cloth tape" it does bond to virtually any surface, & is water-resistant, it doesn't guarantee to be waterproof. I EDC duct tape, it is a wide known fact that most of the British Armed Forces were mended/held together with the ubiquitous duct tape known as "Harry Black" or aka 100mph tape, citing the urban legend that duct tape will maintain its adhesion when subjected to winds traveling at up to 100 miles per hour. Or.. according to EvilBay - SAS/SBS tape. :4:
    Regards
    David

isme and Stone like this.
  10. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Keeper of the Clubhouse swear jar Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    @Stone I'd suggest Gorilla patch & seal waterproof tape. Gaffer tape aka "gaffer tape", "gaffa tape" & "cloth tape" it does bond to virtually any surface, & is water-resistant, it doesn't guarantee to be waterproof. I EDC duct tape, it is a wide known fact that most of the British Armed Forces were mended/held together with the ubiquitous duct tape known as "Harry Black" or referred to as 100mph tape, citing the urban legend that duct tape will maintain its adhesion when subjected to winds traveling at up to 100 miles per hour. Or.. according to evilbay - SAS/SBS tape. :4:
    Regards
    David

Stone likes this.
  11. curtiseddie

curtiseddie Scout

Blog Posts:
    FYI: In hot/sunny conditions the adhesive on gaff tape will dry out (this takes many days) and start to lose it's grip and leave hard residue.

Gaff tape was designed for "temporary" use in theatrical/photographic applications. Even away from the elements (a dry cool basement) I've witnessed the adhesive eventually drying and failing (months to years). I, too, use this for extra grip on tools and other of the mentioned uses, but I periodically remove/replace the tape preventatively. It is a useful product, but be aware.

Stone and DavidJAFO like this.
  12. Stone

Blog Posts:
    I've used both gaffer and duct tape to tape down mic and electrical cords back when I was doing production work. One big difference between the two is that gaffer tapes comes up with less mess than duct tape.

13. Stone

Blog Posts:
    Gorilla tape certainly has a lot of uses!

14. Noddy

Noddy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    On a slightly different tack here ... Scotch Heavy Duty Shipping Tape is good for protecting paper ... maps, directions, instructions, recipes etc. Make sure you get the Heavy Duty though. Stickier. I often use it to seal index cards for use and it is less fuss than lamination

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019