Gathered End vs Bridge

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by zelph, Jun 18, 2017.

1. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    These two videos will be helpful to some wanting to get in to hammock camping:

Paul Foreman, Ragman, rmil and 5 others like this.
  2. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love my bridge for comfort and my gathered end for low weight....
    J

ra2bach, CamoNut and xrayit like this.
  3. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I'm a side sleeper and it's more comfy than the gathered end.

4. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    me too.

5. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love my Ridgerunner, but hate packing it. I keep saying I'm gonna make a bridge based off of Bic's tutorial, but just can't justify another hammock....

6. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    going to eventually give it another shot. i've heard multiple times they are great for sleeping (my last attempted failed, couldn't fall asleep).

i could be wrong but from what i've seen hammocks can be if not be more heavier sleep system then tent by the time you factor in tarp, underquilt and suspension and you almost always need an under-quilt and always need trees (which isn't a bad thing :) )

7. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Thanks to the OP for bringing the comparison videos to our attention!

Remember to compare weights by function
    Tarp -> tent rain fly
    Hammock body -> tent body
    Tarp and hammock suspension -> tent poles
    Underquilt -> sleeping pad
    Topquilt -> sleeping bag

But also, Derek Hansen has a nice series on the "truth about hammock camping" which talks about the myth that Hammocks are always lighter : https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-camping-101/

CamoNut and UAHiker like this.
  8. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Used to be that way but with fabrics and cordage now, weights are negligable. Tent woukd equal hammock and tarp. Underquily ia your pad, tq is your bag.

Ive been at this 10 years and have yet to have to go to ground and used a pad 8 of those years.

A lot of people love the bridge. I had a RR and it was dedinitely comfortable. Not so tight a space. Suspensions are usually longer on bridges too.. which means more selective hanging sites, which was a real bummer for me personally.

Im a resltless sleeper, always moving. Found the tippyness of the bridge made me wake up more to adjust myself vs. Alligator rolling in my gathered ends lol

gila_dog, UAHiker and rsnurkle like this.
  9. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    thanks for the link, i'll check it out. you can "kinda" negate the tent poles for going only tarp and cordage or tent designed for trekking poles. but your comparison is spot on :)

oh the only thing your missing is bug protection.... tents are built in you either need a separate sock for hammocks or have one sewn into a hammock...

rsnurkle likes this.
  10. Back Off

Back Off Scout

Blog Posts:
    I wouldnt mind trying one of those 90 degree hammocks. Seems like a suspended lazy boy recliner. I have tented a while and starting this hammock thing. I really think the weight is a wash. There just isnt much difference in the two but I am hoping for a better sleep in the hammock over an air mattress/bag setup. If that happens it would be worth it. A good nights sleep is worth and extra pound in the pack no matter if the tent wins or hammock wins. Doing my first overnight setup with the hammock tomorrow.

Brommeland and Red Wing like this.
  11. Red Wing

Blog Posts:
    Hopefully we get a trip report. Ive been interested in the 90s too, just cant get over the weights and the investment in another pad, special tarp on top of new hammock.

Pads in hammocks are also harder to manage heat in winter temps vs. On ground because of convection in my experience. Oddly enough lol. I had committed already so it was a learning experience lol.

Back Off likes this.
  12. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I have a hammock with an integrated bug net, so for me it's a one-to-one match to the tent body. All that said, for me the far and away benefit of sleeping in a hammock has been physical comfort. Not weight of the components, not cost, not availability of campsites--just the overnight sleeping comfort that I personally feel in a hammock. I've yet to put together a ground-sleeping system that matches that aspect of hammocking. Consequently, that aspect has a huge impact when I'm making choices about the components/system I want to take for a particular trip: I'll always start with "can I take the hammock?" and then adjust from there based on other concerns. I think Derek Hansen's articles kind of point to the same conclusion (comfort is the main thing that brings people to hammocks over other sleeping approaches).

So far I've only used gathered end hammocks, so I'll keep an eye out for opportunities to try out bridge and 90-degree hammocks in the future.

UAHiker and Red Wing like this.
  13. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    the physical comfort of hammocks has gotten my appeal. i'm fairly comfortable on the ground but not like sleeping in my bed so i'd like to get closer to that. i completely agree that a good night sleep is way worth a little extra weight, i know what sleep deprivation does to someone :) i just am weight conscience because i also like to hike and like to put in the miles. i'm by fair no gram wienie but having gone from 35/40lb pack to a 25lb pack which has made a HUGE difference for hiking.

Red Wing and rsnurkle like this.
  14. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've said it before, and will say it again. You won't cut weight by switching to hammock. By the time you get quilts, tarp, hammock, etc, you will be at or just over what a tent will weigh for the most part. And you actually give up some room to boot (no changing room, just tarp). But if done right, I have found you gain a lot in comfort. The ground keeps getting harder as I get older...I only tent camp when I have to with my son's Cubscout camps.

15. Edgeman

Edgeman Scout

Blog Posts:
    To compare weights: "apples to crab apples," compare these items "head to head:"

Tent camping / Hammock camping

Tent, stakes, cords & rainfly / Hammock, stakes, cords & rainfly
    Sleeping bag / Over quilt
    Ground pad / Under quilt or under pad

Interior room to spread out your crap: clearly the tent has a big advantage.
    Comfort: hammock wins in a runaway.

I think you can save a little weight with a hammock if you're a solo backpacker. When you're talking two+ people, then the tent starts to gain the weight advantage. But we're talking minor weight advantages. Heck, my 65L pack weighs almost 6 lbs, and that far and away cancels out any advantage I gained by going with a lightweight hammock setup...lol

UAHiker and mahaney like this.
  16. Red Wing

Blog Posts:
    This isnt s tent vs. Hammock thread.

Its a gathered end vs. Bridge hammock.

I blame HF for this. However hammockers and backpackers cant help but go back and forth. Funny I never see weights mentioned comparing camp knives usually, or saws or whatever.

I actually have no clue what the point of the thread is anymore lol.

Broke, Brommeland and hamanky like this.
  17. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    Pretty sure the point was to get some info out there. I know it sounds crazy, but there are still people in this day and age who don't hammock (savages)...Zelph was just pointing out that there are 2 main types of hammocks- gathered end and bridge. He was kind enough to include 2 videos from Shug which are not only informational but funny to watch as well.

J

Brommeland likes this.
  18. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've owned and used several Hennessy hammocks, a Warbonnet Traveler, a Warbonnet BBXLC and a Dutchware Chameleon. I've tried hanging loose, hanging tight and all points in between. I've tried left to right diagonal, right to left diagonal and even a banana lay and the conclusion that I have reached is that gathered end hammocks are medieval torture devices. My last (and final) attempt in what was formerly my (and is now my wife's) Chameleon left my knees and ankles feeling like I had been working out all night. I was stiff and sore as could be the next morning. It was far better than my earlier attempts with other GE designs, but was still a nightmare.

However, my bride, being almost a foot shorter than I loves that Chameleon and has gone from "I never, ever, ever want to go camping" to "let's go hang - my hammock is sooo comfy". I guess if someone made one 12 to 13 ft long it might work for me, but I just cannot deal with the calf ridge - even in an 11 footer.

Enter the Warbonnet Ridgerunner. Now that's the epitome of comfort! I'll carry the extra 10-12 oz for the spreader bars, and be glad to do it. This thing has certainly made all the difference in the world for me. I doubt that I'll ever buy another GE......Regardless of how comfortable it is for other folks, the GE design just does not work for me, but this Ridgerunner rocks!

I've been considering a 90 degree. I'm too big for most of them, but the Draumr has intrigued me. I am just having a hard time with two things: One, (according to some youtube reports) it flat out will not work without an inflatable pad, and those things are heavy, and of course can (and do) sometimes leak. So if your pad goes flat, that hammock is pretty close to useless. And, as earlier stated, I have a hard time justifying the expense of an all new system that cannot use the tarps that I presently own. I'm still on the fence, though. Time will tell.

19. Brommeland

Brommeland Scout

Blog Posts:
    Update: Just when I thought that my RR could not get any better, I added a Thermarest Ridgerest pad, and this thing is now more comfortable than my bed. It is simply perfect!

20. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Bridged end hammocks have intrigued me lately. I doubt I'll ever pick one up, though. My hammock is mainly used for a sleep system when backpacking, which means lightweight and compact are priorities 1 and 2, respectively. I just got a new gathered end hammock, the Sea to Summit Ultralight Hammock. It weighs 5.2 ounces on my scale with the included stuff sack.