Gear In the Bayou

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by Thunderwood, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Thunderwood

Thunderwood Scout

Blog Posts:
    Im new to BCUSA but I'm also new to Louisiana too. Until 6 mos ago I lived in Alabama. I havent had many outings so far other than a froggin trip in Bayou Sorrel.

I was just wandering what gear set ups you guys use. I know different regions have different needs and trends and I was curious what it was like here. Ultimately though, it comes down to what you like....which is cool with me too, I just wanna know what you carry either way.:9:

2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    depends what i'm doing, but there's not a huge difference between what i use here and in my native upstate NY. the basics are almost exactly the same...

clothing here: lightweight shoes, wool socks, quick-dry nylon pants. cotton t shirt year round. just too sticky otherwise. carry a quick-dry nylon long sleeve shirt in fall/winter. USGI wool shirt is good in winter. wide brimmed hat all year. sometimes a fleece hat for at night.

clothing there: synthetic T for day wear, sleep in a cotton T. add a quick-dry nylon long sleeve shirt. the shoes, pants, and wool socks are the same. fleece hat goes with me all seasons. USGI wool shirt is good in spring/fall, a bit overkill in summer. don't go to NY in the winter anymore.

cooking setup-same both places... mors pot for boiling water to rehydrate meals. MSR Simmerlite gas stove, or pocket rocket butane stove for light trips.

canoeing-water shoes when the water's warm, boots when it's not. same in both places.

sleep system-Hammock, tarp, 35* underquilt, 35* sleeping bag. same both places. sometimes, IF i go out here in the summer, I only need a poncho liner for an underquilt.

raingear-USGI poncho in both places.

packs-same in both places. GoLite Gust or ULA Conduit (now called the CDT) for overnighters or longer trips, and an old german bundeswehr canvas pack for bushbumming, hunting, and day trips.

knife-same in both places. The woods here are mostly pine, with hardwoods in the creek bottoms. up north, there's more of a mixture, but the things i use a knife for are about the same.

the biggest different is the machete vs an axe. the longer i'm here, the more i rely on a machete. back north, the axe is a handy tool. since it's warmer down here, i make much smaller fires from smaller wood that can pretty much be hand-broken to size, so i don't always carry an axe (but sometimes a hatchet). but the greenbriar and grapevines basically never stop growing, and a machete is almost required in some areas if you want to make any forward progress. back in NY, the forest is relatively clear of obstructions, so the machete is not required. but it's colder, so i tend to build a bigger fire. for that i like a bucksaw and hatchet or axe.

another difference is water. as mentioned earlier, i carry iodine (Polar Pure) for water purification. down here, the water is generally scarce and dirty unless i'm canoeing. in NY, at least where i tend to go (both hiking and canoeing), it's clean, clear, almost doesn't need treatment, and plentiful. down here, i will go through 6 qts a day easy. up there, maybe 3-4. in both places, i carry 2x water bottles (one drinkable, one working the iodine treatment.)

edit: forgot the guns. in ny, i don't carry anything but bear spray. down here, as a minimum, i carry a .357 revolver with a load of snakeshot in a chest holster. jake plays for keeps here, and i do not trust him. i have seen snakes out in January. this is very wrong. snakes should be hibernating in january, not scaring me by being in trees at night. but that's how it is here.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  3. The Hunter

The Hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Pretty much what seeker said. If you dont have a .22 or a handgun I would urge you to get one however a walking stick at least 6 foot long will serve you well. Dont play with the snakes kill them or get away from them.

Both La and Al have common geography with each having slight extremes. I would wager the same things you used in Al will be good here.

Machete ,machete, machete !!!! I told Seeker about needing a machete last year and after several trips out he understood why.

Get a water filter that goes to .2 microns then add to that a steri pen. The Katadyne will remove everything except viruses and the steri pen will kill those. Yes you can boil it for 10 minutes at a rolling boil but that takes extra time energy and if in the summer way too much heat. Water will always be the heaviest item in your pack at 8.3 lbs per gallon and you need it here more than you may realize as the 80-90 humidity just draws it out of ya.

Nothing really dries out here so dont wear cottons.

get a boat of some sort

you will figure out the rest

4. MsLogistics

MsLogistics Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't live in La anymore but i fish ,hunt, and play there. Like everyone said before, Gun,Water, and Big Stick. If the water looks ankle deep the mud is over your head. Get stuck in it and you will know our version of cement shoes. Have Fun

5. Thunderwood

Thunderwood Scout

Blog Posts:
    Do you guys prefer machetes or axes? I know in the far north an axe is vital to ones gear. I didn't know if there are some things that were specifically important to this geography. So far bug spray is the thing that sticks out the most!!!

6. WILL

WILL Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you're going overnight, you better bring a tent with mosquito netting. It will rain and the bugs will literally kill you if you don't. In the warmer months it’s best to save the heavy manual labor for the morning and evening if possible. I’m talking sun up to 10AM and 6PM- Sunset.

7. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I gave up the tent long ago... just can't sleep on the ground anymore... the added advantage is that you don't need level ground either. cypress knees alone will cause you fits trying to squeeze a tent between 'em... add fire ants, snakes, and the other critters, and i like my hammock a whole lot.

Machetes- yeah. i'm a displaced yankee. but i get machetes now. didn't at first, but the more time i spent outside, the more i understood why people used them. i love my axes, but one tool that almost always goes with me is the machete (vs axes, hatchets, and saws). get a 14-16" wooden handled Tremontina, and mod it the way Pict shows in his post on that subject.